Just got FS22. Constant stuttering.

menecroth

Just got FS22. Constant stuttering.

Post by menecroth »

Not sure where to put this so I'm just putting it in General Discussion.

As I mentioned in the title, I just got this game. Received it as a gift.
There is an update which the progress meter is currently telling me will take the next 24 days. It changes the estimated time constantly but seems to be making no progress at all.

I tried playing without the update but it's impossible.
I have tried graphics settings on low and even lowered some a bit more and the game stutters/hitches constantly.
It is completely unplayable.

PC Specs are as follows:

Windows 10 Home
Intel core i5 9400F, 6 core, 2.9GHz
32GB Ram
GTX 1660 TI 6 GB.
reider

Re: Just got FS22. Constant stuttering.

Post by reider »

My son had stuttering on an i9 with a GTX 1080 graphics card yet my low spec i7 with a 1050TI works perfectly. All he did was switch off VSync and he says it now works perfectly. It may not be the answer to your particular problem but give it a try anyway.
dan1108

Post by dan1108 »

menecroth wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:31 am
GTX 1660 TI 6 GB.
check your drivers - NVIDIIA put out several updates this month. I updated in early December after game launch, which fixed my stuttering. After patch 1.2.0.0 came out stuttering returned (and log file stated my DLSS was't supported anymore, but it was 2 weeks prior on 1.1.0.0), found NVIDIA had even newer drivers, installed them, and now is smooth as glass.

Note, you can perhaps have stuttering after each patch due to the shader cache needing to be rebuilt. This can take a while, and needs to be done whereever you go on the map. But once that cache is updated, you should be smooth - that's when you know you are pushing your graphics card to its recommended limit - I''ll take the cache update stuttering, to keep the graphics high.
humbe

Post by humbe »

I've got a Geforce 760 GTX card and an ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor, so have to play on low settings, but it works. 30ish framerate normally. A bit less if inside cab. And a bit less if moving camera down to see the horizon.. About to get better PC so hoping for big improvement, but game should be playable without stuttering with above specs.. Could you have something else running on the computer that uses up resources once in a while?
menecroth

Post by menecroth »

humbe wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:17 pm .. Could you have something else running on the computer that uses up resources once in a while?
I actually make sure that there's next to nothing running when I run any game. Just Windows Defender and whatever Nvidia thing tells me that it has new drivers.
Someone else recommended looking into device drivers so I'll see what's up with that but I just updated them a couple of days ago.

Thanks for the input, all. :smileynew:
menecroth

Post by menecroth »

Okay, so new drivers and a bit of fiddling with resolution scaling seems to have smoothed it out.

FS19 was also stuttering pretty badly for a while, then there was a driver update and it worked fine...

I find it bizarre that the performance on different hardware seems to be so random. I feel like sending a long, drawn-out, obscenity filled letter to Nvidia about how annoying it is to deal with their various driver-created problems but I can't be bothered.

Anyway, thanks again for the responses. I guess I should call this problem resolved.
Derplodactyl

Post by Derplodactyl »

Just want to add something which hasn't been mentioned (that I've seen).

The first time playing, and for a couple of real-time hours after, the game can lose frames and often appear to freeze for a second or two - I had this my PC - even on my specs - and everyone else will have most likely encountered it either on release, or with an update.

The game has to compile its shader library, and this is done during play. It's normal, and it doesn't last forever. You just have to play through and bear it for the short period whilst the game does its thing. If it continues over a lot of hours/days, then you.may have an issue.

As mentioned above, checking your drivers, PC updates, etc, all help as good practice to ensure you're at the best possible position your PC can be in!
- James G | Derplodactyl (The Jaggler)
- Giants Ambassador 🇬🇧
- PC & Xbox One

PC Specs:
-AsRock B550M Extreme4 Steel Legend
-AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
-EVGA RTX 3080Ti XC3 Ultra
-Corsair 32GB DDR4 @3600MHz
-1TB Samsung 970 Evo Pro M.2 + 256gb NVMe Storage
Guil

Post by Guil »

Don apple used to mention it regularly about the shaders. Best thing to do when you start a new save is driver around the map twice, both night and day.

I have read something about shaders being recompiled more often or even every run of the game so not sure this advice holds true anymore
menecroth

Post by menecroth »

Yeah, I spoke too soon.
Once I bought a tractor and started getting around the map a little, the stuttering was back. I'll try again and give it some time but I'm still absolutely sure there's something wrong with drivers for certain cards. FS22 currently looks like it's older than FS19 and not just by a little bit.
Hopefully Nvidia will get their act in gear with their drivers but who knows, maybe Giants will release an update that helps as well.

In the meantime, I guess I'll just try letting it do its thing for a while.
Nestoche

Post by Nestoche »

Yea, the stuttering is pretty bad. All other games that I have run fine on my PC WITH smooth FPS and no stutter. FS22 runs like Shite with constant hesitation/stutters! I am not changing my specs just for one game. Will have to park this game until Giants gets a fix out...SMH
DEERE318

Post by DEERE318 »

Might I suggest you get a last-get console and play it on there. It's supposed to run better on those than 19 did, according to the devs.
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

DEERE318 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:01 am Might I suggest you get a last-get console and play it on there. It's supposed to run better on those than 19 did, according to the devs.
I am playing on a last gen Xbox One X, runs great and have only seen one or two bugs. I had a tiny fps drop briefly a few nights ago when I had 4 AI workers all working very close together in adjacent fields. Other than that though, no issues.

Haven’t compared really to how FS 19 was running on it but I can say it doesn’t seem to be running any worse.
Hoffa82

Post by Hoffa82 »

For me the anti-aliasing option makes huge difference, MSAA introduces a lot of stuttering while DLSS or DLAA doesn't.
I recognize this from other games running dx12, while the performance boost is nice, the problem with stuttering is not.
Check your AA setting and see if that makes any difference.