FS22: AKA... Sleep Simulator.

muzickmage

FS22: AKA... Sleep Simulator.

Post by muzickmage »

OMG.... where to start?

After spending 132.9 hours in the game (According to Steam) I understand why some people are calling FS22 "Sleep Simulator"..... and why such threads viewtopic.php?f=963&t=181939 have been created. To @Iconia Star of this thread.... I couldn't have said it better myself. I wish I had showed up in time to offer you some support against those tryng to trip you up.

But first, lets start with the bugs. Yes, its quite common in today's industry for video games to ship with bugs. I don't see this as the fault of the company as much as its just a simple fact of millions of different computers trying to adopt the same code, and all these computers are going to react differently.... presto... buggy game........

....... Where I blame Giants in this buggy mess of a game is with the timing. Giants waited till near the end of November to release the game while knowing fair well that a) The game (like any other game) would likely have many bugs.... and b) The bugs likely wouldn't get fixed because the game wasn't released until it was pretty much time for everyone to go on Christmas break leaving all their customer's without help.

I have to wonder.... how is it that the "repaint" code could be added to the game ... with such an outrageous price tag to repaint the vehicles.... and have nobody at Giants see this as a problem. Nevermind that maintanance cost that is a fair complaint as well... just the repaint option itself is grounds for wondering if anyone at Giants knows how to use a calculator. The economy in the game is so messed up that we'd probably be better off with no economy at all. Just comletely take out the money factor. That would solve a lot of problems.

Because Giants have shown they can't be trusted with money cost, or with any kind of equation that involves math... I can't say i'm at all surprised that Giants again showed off their lack of math skills ... this time with the "time" cost. To save from repeating the already posted argument i'll instead just point you to the following thread for reference.... viewtopic.php?f=963&t=181939 (again, hats off to @Iconia Star in this thread)

My mistake was.... setting the game to 5 days/month (seasons off) and now having to wait 65 game days to be able to harvest Poplars. Really .... 65 game days? So basically, what i'm pointing out is... out of all the fields on the small map that I could own, the field with poplars planted on it is ..... pretty much non playable for 65 game days. Luckily .... there's a fast forward button, and... lets not forget the most important feature in the entire FS22 game.... the sleep trigger. But... that's not your problem... lets move on......

....... The issue (IMO) which I don't see people addressing... is the fact that the game, from the moment you click the play button, starts on fast forward. It's default setting is 5x. FS is the only game, off the top of my head... that automatically starts you in fast forward mode. I've played games that have it's own time system... but none that had you playing 5x the game speed immediately upon clicking the play button.

There has always been so little to do from one harvest to the next that even Giants themselves decided to code the game to run on fast forward.... so we would have less down time. Imagine... the game is so empty of things to do... that its default setting is coded to have the game run on fast forward.

The new Season's cycle added to FS22 just highlights this fact even further. To the point that not even the default setting of 5x is helping anymore. We have to take it a step further now and use the sleep trigger. I'm not sure if we are playing the game anymore, or just watching the days go by like a prisoner of bad coding while waiting for the parole of something to finally do. But there it all is... for better or worse.

In overview.... for me... I can't say that i'm happy with FS22. To be honest. I wish I hadn't pre-ordered it. (IMO) FS19 is a much better game than FS22. So i'll be playing FS19 still.

As for FS22... i'm trying to make the best of it. Its bought and paid for so.... i'm going to keep trying to work it out. There has to be a way to confortably play this game. Or at least have it be a bit fun. Right now.... its frustrating to the point that its best if I take a small break for a few days or so.
KrS14

Re: FS22: AKA... Sleep Simulator.

Post by KrS14 »

OMG.... where to start?

Oh right, I completely disagree with what you're outlining. I love this game and it's timing, you just have to find stuff to do.

That's fine if you don't like it, move on, play something you enjoy. I don't think a few days is going to help if you're thinking/feeling like you mention above.

"FS19 is a much better game than FS22."

Wut? It's the exact same for time as 22...
muzickmage

Post by muzickmage »

Are you drunk? lol

Posting that is pretty much the same as Giants adding field 27 to the Elmcreek map. Seriously, why bother if that's all you're going to offer?

Same timing? Really? That's your argument?
ipodule

Post by ipodule »

then set your days at 1 day = 1 month, put lots of things into your farm to work and then go ahead and play it. the game has issue for sure but your scenario is an issue entirely of your own making
muzickmage

Post by muzickmage »

ipodule wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:46 pm then set your days at 1 day = 1 month, put lots of things into your farm to work and then go ahead and play it. the game has issue for sure but your scenario is an issue entirely of your own making
As I pointed out in my post.... the 5 days/month thing. Yes... that was my mistake. lol. I created my own hell with that plan.
DMZ Commander

Post by DMZ Commander »

Switch it to 1 day months and x1 speed.... all your problems are solved
PC Master Race
Phanteks Enthoo Elite
Z590 Godlike
i9 11900k
RTX 3090
64GB Ram
x2 2TB SSD
Oddyssey Neo G9
muzickmage

Post by muzickmage »

"All" my problems will be solved if I can harvest my poplars after just 13 game days at 1x speed?
FarmerDan72

Post by FarmerDan72 »

muzickmage wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:17 pm FS is the only game, off the top of my head... that automatically starts you in fast forward mode. I've played games that have it's own time system... but none that had you playing 5x the game speed immediately upon clicking the play button.
I can't think of game that features day/night cycles that doesn't run exclusively in "fast forward" mode. RDR2, Call of the Wild, Wildlands to name a few.

I don't know why the faster time would be an issue if you're looking to cycle through tasks quicker. I do think they should've left the fast growth option there for those that like to see crops starting to grow before you're done planting.
PS4
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

Going to disagree with you comment regarding the game starting at x5 and comparing that to other games. The majority of games that I can think of with a speed control speed up all the gameplay so it’s a fast forward more than a time skip. To compare apples to apples, at x5 speed (or the various other speeds) then vehicles, workers etc would have to run 5 times faster, which they obviously don’t. To come at that from the other side, when I first played FS on FS15, I was surprised that my workers were driving round in the fields at the same speed regardless of the time setting.

Also I can’t think think of many other, if any, that have a real time day/night cycle on the standard 1x speed, which is what you would get on x1 on Farming Simulator.

Not going to touch on the rest of your post, as it’s based on your opinion, which you are more than entitled to have. 👍🏼
muzickmage

Post by muzickmage »

FarmerDan72 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:11 pm
muzickmage wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:17 pm FS is the only game, off the top of my head... that automatically starts you in fast forward mode. I've played games that have it's own time system... but none that had you playing 5x the game speed immediately upon clicking the play button.
I can't think of game that features day/night cycles that doesn't run exclusively in "fast forward" mode. RDR2, Call of the Wild, Wildlands to name a few.

I don't know why the faster time would be an issue if you're looking to cycle through tasks quicker. I do think they should've left the fast growth option there for those that like to see crops starting to grow before you're done planting.
That's not what I was talking about. You took my "whole" of an argument, and used only part of it to defend game time "cycles".

Normal running game time, before interfering with this timing to use a game cycle feature, isn't usually set to 5x by default. Game may offer 5x cycles to use, but don't have game automatically start on that default game speed. (not that i'm aware).
muzickmage

Post by muzickmage »

Rasping rabbit wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:16 pm Going to disagree with you comment regarding the game starting at x5 and comparing that to other games. The majority of games that I can think of with a speed control speed up all the gameplay so it’s a fast forward more than a time skip. To compare apples to apples, at x5 speed (or the various other speeds) then vehicles, workers etc would have to run 5 times faster, which they obviously don’t. To come at that from the other side, when I first played FS on FS15, I was surprised that my workers were driving round in the fields at the same speed regardless of the time setting.

Also I can’t think think of many other, if any, that have a real time day/night cycle on the standard 1x speed, which is what you would get on x1 on Farming Simulator.

Not going to touch on the rest of your post, as it’s based on your opinion, which you are more than entitled to have. 👍🏼
You just highlighted my point. The game isn't 5x as you would think, or defend as being 5x. Only the time is faster.... not the game. So the 1x timing in the game is understood by Giants as not being compatible with the 1x actions, and has been increased to be 5x timing vs 1x actions... not something witnessed in any other game.

Using other game that adopt their own time cycles.... list those cycles as 1x game time vs 1x action time. If you use the 5x option in those games. you would be going 5x faster whatever timing those games consider to be the default 1x.
Last edited by muzickmage on Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoffa82

Post by Hoffa82 »

To be fair, I don't think he's talking about games with a cosmetic day/night cycle like the Witcher or Skyrim, but other management/simulators like city building games or the Sims or RTS games, where every action is sped up when time is accelerated.
FarmerDan72

Post by FarmerDan72 »

Are you saying you want everything in the game to speed up to match whatever timescale you have it on? As in the harvester would appear to be running 20mph instead of 4mph when on 5x time. I still don't get the comparison to other games. None of them run on 1x speed. Hunter, Call of the Wild for instance runs on a constant 4x speed, but the animals don't run around 4 times faster than normal.
PS4
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

I think the problem is that it’s a time scale control and you are comparing it to fast forward controls. I mean I did say it surprised me in FS15 but it took me very little time to figure out what the control was for and it hasn’t bothered me for the last 6 years of playing.

It just seems considering the bugs and problems that some players are experiencing, a time control setting seems as insignificant as the fact that the game always loads up with the engine auto starting and stop/go braking both set the wrong way round so both are unrealistic. Like the time control they take minutes to reset in the menu if you want different settings.
muzickmage

Post by muzickmage »

Hoffa82 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:33 pm To be fair, I don't think he's talking about games with a cosmetic day/night cycle like the Witcher or Skyrim, but other management/simulators like city building games or the Sims or RTS games, where every action is sped up when time is accelerated.
Thank you. Now imagine the Sims 4 starting by default at 5x timing while the game itself was still just 1x. What would that tell you about the game... when players are still, in addition to that, left to still spam the sleep trigger.

The game by default, is already 5x shorter than an actual day. And players are still left to use the sleep trigger to play the game. That's a fair complaint against the time management system the game runs on.
Last edited by muzickmage on Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.