Petition for VR

FarmerSimz

Petition for VR

Post by FarmerSimz »

Calling all Farming Simulator farmers.

Given how the visual clarity is much better in FS22, now is the time to petition for VR support. I firmly believe this game would be completely revolutionised and offer a new level of immersion if we could be “in” the game - do you?

Take a moment and imagine being inside Elmcreek, Haut beyleron or even Calmsden Farm. Tractor’ing down a country lane, in the field harvesting your crop, or even leaning against a gate just looking at your herd of cows. Now is the time we come together and ask for VR support.

How could they do it? - Open XR
Implementing Open XR is a straightforward task and while the controller logic may take some time to add clickspots the headset is just a simple camera axis change. It’s free to use and offers the documentation needed to import into FS22.

For the first release using just the headset capability would be enough for Giants to gauge market interest and whether to deploy resources to add the clickspots for VR controllers.

https://www.khronos.org/OpenXR/

How can you help
Simply add one reason why you’d like VR support in FS22 below.
DEERE318

Re: Petition for VR

Post by DEERE318 »

I hate to break it to you, but Giants will never achieve this for 22 or any version on their own. They would have to start from the ground and move up from there. That includes replacing their developers, tools, QA and testers, and anyone responsible for signing off on any of the last few game releases.

One reason why I'd like VR support in 22:
VR is cool.
FarmerSimz

Post by FarmerSimz »

DEERE318 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:20 pm I hate to break it to you, but Giants will never achieve this for 22 or any version on their own. They would have to start from the ground and move up from there. That includes replacing their developers, tools, QA and testers, and anyone responsible for signing off on any of the last few game releases.

VR is cool.
The OpenXR wraps around the camera object and sends X,Y,Z coordinates from the headset, it’s the same code you use when you move the camera using your mouse or joystick. No need to replace their developers as Implementation is simple. Wanting to implement is a different matter.
StoneTheCrows

Post by StoneTheCrows »

FarmerSimz wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:36 pm
DEERE318 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:20 pm I hate to break it to you, but Giants will never achieve this for 22 or any version on their own. They would have to start from the ground and move up from there. That includes replacing their developers, tools, QA and testers, and anyone responsible for signing off on any of the last few game releases.

VR is cool.
The OpenXR wraps around the camera object and sends X,Y,Z coordinates from the headset, it’s the same code you use when you move the camera using your mouse or joystick. No need to replace their developers as Implementation is simple. Wanting to implement is a different matter.
My experience of IT projects is the phrase "simple implementation" is an oxymoron. If a developer says this to you then assume: (a) they are probably well-meaning; and (b) they are certainly deluded.
CptCray

Post by CptCray »

It's also not just like implementing the movement. You'd also have to add a second camera to make VR working properly I guess. Looking at the current performance of the game that might be a critical change.
Mellek

Post by Mellek »

The idea itself is great, and I would definitely give it a try for some sight seeing, but in all honesty I wouldn't be playing the game for longer periods of time using VR.
I own a headset, bought it mainly for watching 3D movies since my tv no longer supports that, but very rarely use it to game for more than 30 min, if I play longer motion sickness or mild headache always kicks in.

And looking around me, I'm the only one that has such a device, non of my colleagues or family members has one, and I assume it is the same in the farming simulator community, just a small percentage that actually owns a VR headset.
So from that from that perspective I don't think it is very likely or interesting for Giants to develop that feature.
Drmattymd

Post by Drmattymd »

They stated in one of the podcasts that there are no plans to implement VR as it is a niche market
Playing on PC and PS4
JWE75

Post by JWE75 »

Headache and motion sickness makes sure VR Will never happen with FS. Game sessions lenght and all The required movement makes sure of that.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

I've tried VR a few times and not really got on with it. It seems to me one of those curious cases where trying for reality and missing gives a worse result than not trying.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
DEERE318

Post by DEERE318 »

After thinking about it a bit, I agree with blue. VR is cool and all, and fun to mess with for a while. But then the inconvenience prevents it from being convenient.
A Holodeck is something I could support though.
FarmerSimz

Post by FarmerSimz »

I’ve logged about 150 hours in MSFS and 500 in project cars 2 and can firmly say playing on pancake screens is like staring at a window instead of walking out the door. Sure it works and you can Farm around in 2D land but the immersion in VR is mental. The height, depth and feel of it all is second to none and FS2(next) needs it!

I can’t be the only one who wants this?
paul_c

Post by paul_c »

FarmerSimz wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:41 pm I can’t be the only one who wants this?
Yet this thread appears to confirm that?
Burekcina

Post by Burekcina »

Only people who never used VR or used it for a very short period would comment that it is not needed. You do know that game can support VR and not be exclusive for VR right?

VR for a modern sim is not even a question. It is a MUST!

And those mentioning motion sickness, it goes away after a few hours of use. You can spend hours and hours in VR when you are used to it and don't get sick or tired. Just ask the Flight sim community...
StoneTheCrows

Post by StoneTheCrows »

I've never tried VR - except in cinemas. I sometimes wonder whether technological advances make games (and everything else) better, or whether they just make them different. I can become immersed in any game - if it's a good game.

I'd rather Giants put extra effort into scenery detail. I love wandering around cities in Assassins Creed, getting lost in the details of ordinary life. That would be a nice to have feature in FS.
olahaldor

Post by olahaldor »

Making VR - technically - is a different department than making a town or a city more detailed though. I get what you mean, but one wouldn't take away dev time from another in that regard.

I think Farming Sim would be more immersive with VR. Do we need it? Maybe not. But for those who enjoy VR, it makes absolute sense to play Farming Sim in VR because of the sheer size of things. Machines, tractors, implements, buildings, terrain..

I for one would love to experience my map in VR, crusing in a tractor I would never be able to drive irl.