FS22 Steering wheels

FSChris

FS22 Steering wheels

Post by FSChris »

Hi Guys,

I am considering to buy Farming Simulator 22 with a steering wheel but I heard some problems with the Heavy Equipment Bundle, so I was wondering what steering wheels do you guys use with Farming Simulator 22 and if it is true that the Heavy Equipment Bundle doesn't work

Thanks
Chris
Burekcina

Re: FS22 Steering wheels

Post by Burekcina »

What platform are you running? I think PC supports pretty much every kind of hardware you want...if not there is always some kind of a workaround.

I can't speak for consoles as i don't have any experience on that front..

I use a Thrustmaster wheel, dual joysticks and a some button boxes, along with TrackIR it's an awesome experience.
I wish FS supported VR for some proper immersion.
FSChris

Post by FSChris »

Burekcina wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:40 am What platform are you running? I think PC supports pretty much every kind of hardware you want...if not there is always some kind of a workaround.

I can't speak for consoles as i don't have any experience on that front..

I use a Thrustmaster wheel, dual joysticks and a some button boxes, along with TrackIR it's an awesome experience.
I wish FS supported VR for some proper immersion.
Yes I use a PC. What is the cost on that setup you use there? Thanks for helping
Burekcina

Post by Burekcina »

FSChris wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:12 pm Yes I use a PC. What is the cost on that setup you use there? Thanks for helping
Price depends on what kind of hardware you pick.

I use a Thrustmaster T150 PRO wheel (i think it was just discontinued a few months ago) - about 250€.
I would suggest you get a wheel with at least 900 degrees of rotation (logitech G are ok).

For joysticks i have used dual Thrustmaster T16000 which go for about 120€ for the pair. The alternative is the Logitech Attack 3 joystick, a cheaper option - which i currently use - used about 10€ each. The main thing with joysticks is they have to be ambidextrous, both mentioned above are.
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

The issue with the heavy equipment bundle is not that it doesn't work more of it's not made very well especially the wheel which does tend to fail.
JensChrDK

Post by JensChrDK »

I use a Logitech G27 wheel and pedals. I haven't tried the heavy equipment bundle, but from what I have heard then it is just poor quality, the wheel and pedals. The side panel should be ok - I'm just waiting to find a good deal on a side panel my self. :mrgreen:
But since you are on pc then there is no shortage on wheel and pedals, just take your pick. I started with a Thrustmaster T80 (with only 90 degrees turn both ways) and have upgraded along the way.
Been playing WAAAAY to many hours - PC with Logitech G27 and Thrustmaster Simtask Farmstick
FSChris

Post by FSChris »

Thanks everyone for the help and advice. The Heavy Equipment Bundle is a bit cheaper than the other wheels but as you guys say the quality is poor so I am going to look at a Thrustmaster or Logitech. Thanks everyone
aklein

Post by aklein »

The side panel is the best part of the heavy equipment bundle and you can get that separate. I ran a Thrustmaster T150 for 5 years or so before it broke. Well really it was some plastics holding the wheel shaft in place vs the whole wheel. I replaced it with the T300RS which is amazing for FS, ATS, Forza and any other driving title. I have never owned a Logitech wheel but I can tell you the Thrustmaster wheels are recognized right out the bat with the game no additional setup is really needed. The replacement for the T150 is the T248. I would suggest a pedal set with three vs two so you have a clutch if you wish to make use of shifting but with the Thrustmaster that is an addon for a shifter (aside from the paddle shift) where as I think some of the Logitech setups include a shifter.

Prices are a bit inflated at this point but if you hunt around you might be able to find a decent deal. I ended up getting my T300RS from B&H Photo.
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

Is the heavy equipment bundle really still that unreliable or poorly built? My understanding was that there were some quality issues with it years ago when it was first introduced, but that they've since been ironed out for a fair while (like since Logitech acquired Saitek).
FSChris

Post by FSChris »

Thank you very much, i will look at the thrustmasters. *thumbsup*
ctb123

Post by ctb123 »

DirectCedar wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:01 pm Is the heavy equipment bundle really still that unreliable or poorly built? My understanding was that there were some quality issues with it years ago when it was first introduced, but that they've since been ironed out for a fair while (like since Logitech acquired Saitek).
I have had the Saitek Heavy Equipment bundle for about 14 months and it has served me well so far. The steering wheel & peddle definitely feel 'cheaper' than some of the other sets I've been able to check out in stores. The wheel has a self-centering spring which takes some getting used to. I do love the side panel.

I'm not complaining as I received the bundle as a very thoughtful gift. If the wheel went out, I would certainly look at replacing it with a different option. If the side panel went out, I would get another one right away.

A final factor to consider, at least in the US, is the bundle can be purchased for around $249, which is the equivalent or even less than many of the other wheel/peddle combos out there.
hpmc13

Post by hpmc13 »

I'm using a Logitech G923 that is far and away better than the old wheel that I had. I took a chance on an eBay seller who had a really low price for a new one and it was perfect, as far as I can tell. The listing was a little sketchy, but came in a sealed, official box. I inverted the pedals and they feel much more like they are supposed to.

Built an H-Shifter but couldn't quite get it to feel right so picked up the Logitech shifter. It's ... okay. I don't use it on FS because the button mappings are little hard to get right for changing ranges and getting into reverse. I may repurpose the shifter that I made to use in FS. The Logitech Shifter is pretty good on other driving games like Forza.

I built my own button box for fairly cheap (roughly $20 or so).

Found a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro at Goodwill for $5
Playing on PC
PrincessJessi84

Post by PrincessJessi84 »

I am using a T150 Pro setup, siatek side panel (I love the side panel even if the wheel is a complete waste), shifter cap button "box" for full forward and reverse gear ranges (got it mainly for ATS but now as long as I use that mod for extra gear bindings, it works for FS too!), Sim Dashboard, Track ir7 head tracker, and a still yet replaced super cheap TM stick.

I paid a bit more for my Pro setup but as I understand it, the T150 is considered a really good budget option. I think you can get the wheel and basic pedal (gas and brake) set for less than $200 U.S. I really love mine. The wheel isn't silent. When I first got it the buzz was a bit loud but after it wore in a bit, I actually really like how it sounds now. And its never left me feeling like I got a cheap wheel. I use it for FS, ATS, ETS2, NFS, SnowRunner and any other odd game with wheel support and its always worked well for me. I would probably go with something similar again if mine were to fail suddenly.
https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
PC
PC - Ryzen 7-2700 8core, 32gb ram, 2x2tb SSD, RTX 2080 SUPER 8gb, GX-850 Gold PSU
Displays - ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ 43” Super Ultra-Wide Curved HDR Gaming Monitor 120Hz (3840 x 1200)
Samsung CFG70 27" Curved gaming Monitor 144HZ (1920 x 1080)
2x 24" Dell Monitors
Controllers - T150 Pro, Side Panel, TrackIR7, TM Stick