Point of hay?

mrsnobber

Point of hay?

Post by mrsnobber »

Grass doesnt age, actually nothing in the game rots/becames rotten, so i could just use grass instead of hay.. (?)
Jimbob0704

Re: Point of hay?

Post by Jimbob0704 »

Grass and hay both rot if left in the rain on Xbox, I’ve seen it shrink down before my eyes while trying to make bales in the rain
Owner of YouTube channel FS landscaping
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVa5pA ... kqx5eVXmxw
mrsnobber

Post by mrsnobber »

paul_c

Post by paul_c »

True (to the OP). I have only found one use of hay:

1) Some balers have a built in wrapper. I've not sussed how to persuade the baler to only bale, not wrap too. So every 150cm bale of grass is wrapped, and in due course becomes a bale of silage once its fermented.
2) Sheep in FS22 only eat grass or hay; so its necessary to either produce bales of grass, or bales of hay. Since there is no way to make 'just' grass.....hay it is.
mrsnobber

Post by mrsnobber »

You can bale up grass and feed them to the sheep

Not here to argue but would be nice if there was a point with it, with the seasons mod in fs19 grass bales rotted in "2 months" and hay bales only rotted if they were outside
Drmattymd

Post by Drmattymd »

Jimbob0704 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:47 pm Grass and hay both rot if left in the rain on Xbox, I’ve seen it shrink down before my eyes while trying to make bales in the rain
On 19 yes, not the case on 22
Playing on PC and PS4
Drmattymd

Post by Drmattymd »

Its more realistic. IRL you would never bale grass before drying it to hay. The compressed moisture would cause heat to build and then spontaneously combust.
Playing on PC and PS4
lawm

Post by lawm »

Riddle me this folks. Why do ppl around me bale large bales and leav them sit outside for 6 months and then gather them. They look like garbage but they still collect them. What's that about?
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

I would say lazy or got busy with other stuff.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
lawm

Post by lawm »

Knowing whose doing it I'm leaning towards lazy. Wasnt sure if there was a method to the madness. Is it still viable to feed still?
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

lawm wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:00 am Knowing whose doing it I'm leaning towards lazy. Wasnt sure if there was a method to the madness. Is it still viable to feed still?
If it was baled in good condition, yes after six months it will still be at least OK and probably good feed, unless you get like 30"+ of annual rain. Round bales degrade somewhat with weather, but they shed moisture pretty well, and even once deterioration sets in, it can be a long time before more than the outside few inches are seriously affected, although they do start to gray and sag some in the field, hence the look you describe. There is no advantage to leaving them in the field, though. I've always been of the mindset that getting them in a stack as soon as possible, and under a shed when available, is the best strategy.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Yeah plus, when they sit in the same spot for a long time, it kills anything that's under them, so your also hurting your field.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
lawm

Post by lawm »

Yea i dont get it. Heck I've tried talking my bro in law into doing hay with small bales on his 20 acres. We are about an hour away from Maryland, I've heard ppl pay stupid money for good hay for Alpaca farms outside of Baltimore/DC. But the farm in question , is questionable lol so who knows the reasons
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

mrsnobber wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 11:26 pm Grass doesnt age, actually nothing in the game rots/becames rotten, so i could just use grass instead of hay.. (?)
I’m not sure but don’t you need hay for TMR? I don’t think you can use grass. Also not sure about horses, do they eat grass and hay or just hay?
paul_c

Post by paul_c »

lawm wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:48 am Riddle me this folks. Why do ppl around me bale large bales and leav them sit outside for 6 months and then gather them. They look like garbage but they still collect them. What's that about?
It could be that a critical machine or tractor broke down at an inopportune moment earlier in the season. The farmer prioritised the better hay and gathered that with the remaining time available, but had to leave some because he ran out of time. If he were selling it, it just means he lost out on selling it. If he kept animals, he might have had to buy in something else (or sell a few animals before winter).

Or it could be that he sold it "off field", baled, to someone else but they were never able to collect it. Maybe because the yield or price shifted and it was no longer worth their while to deal with it.