Precision Farming for Farming Simulator 22

Mwal

Re: Precision Farming for Farming Simulator 22

Post by Mwal »

It’s like that in farming, trying to balance what’s the best thing to do with what you have to do. Try not to get to wrapped up on being perfect and spend more time doing what’s best in the situation you’re in, it makes more sense and is a lot more enjoyable and realistic if that’s what you’re going for.
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

The only thing I have really changed so far is seeding, making sure I plant according to soil types. I decided to do everything else as normal for now just to see how environmentally friendly I was being previously.
lawm

Post by lawm »

Do farmers worry about " environmental scores"? Or is the biggest benefit personally to a farm, the fact that they no longer waste time and fuel as much?
DMZ Commander

Post by DMZ Commander »

Speaking of environmental scores.....I'm maxed out in all aspects except nitrogen. Stil have a very low score for that but I'm showing perfect nitrogen levels for my sorghum. Is there a delay as to when the score updates?
PC Master Race
Phanteks Enthoo Elite
Z590 Godlike
i9 11900k
RTX 3090
64GB Ram
x2 2TB SSD
Oddyssey Neo G9
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

DMZ Commander wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:12 pm Speaking of environmental scores.....I'm maxed out in all aspects except nitrogen. Stil have a very low score for that but I'm showing perfect nitrogen levels for my sorghum. Is there a delay as to when the score updates?
Having just harvested a field of potatoes and seen the nitrogen bar go from halfway to empty, I think it may also depend on what you are growing. Also, some figures won’t update until the fields have gone through the cycle so things will change when you harvest.
DMZ Commander

Post by DMZ Commander »

Yeah mine updated to 100% once I started harvesting and then dropped to the mid 90s once I finished the harvest lol
PC Master Race
Phanteks Enthoo Elite
Z590 Godlike
i9 11900k
RTX 3090
64GB Ram
x2 2TB SSD
Oddyssey Neo G9
lawm

Post by lawm »

So with PF.....is there any reason or benefit TO USE plows?
DMZ Commander

Post by DMZ Commander »

Plows are no bueno.....in fact with PF enabled and periodically plowing enabled, I bought a sugarbeet field to merge into another and it didn't require plowing....no till is the way to go with PF.....and you get up to a 15% cash bonus when you sell your products depending on your score
PC Master Race
Phanteks Enthoo Elite
Z590 Godlike
i9 11900k
RTX 3090
64GB Ram
x2 2TB SSD
Oddyssey Neo G9
lawm

Post by lawm »

Is the no till higher value a real world thing or is it a gimmick in this game? I've watched no till operations till parts of fields or certain fields to get better germination depending on the ground composition. Not every year but when the situation is there. It's just odd that they removed a vanilla feature being useful at all. I feel like it should be, plow when needed and you get this or no till and get this number. Do most farmers do no till for the green aspect or because its saving them money?

Seems like we need an option to mow corn fields after harvest in order to no till or just plow cultivate and plant like vanilla. Cost savings being in not running a heavy plow for long stretches.
ScotsDude73

Post by ScotsDude73 »

Tried oilseed radish and it doesnt do anything. No nitrogen being add when you dig it in.
raran

Post by raran »

Yeah the 6/9mt "plows" will overflow the used machines sale pretty soon. :lol:
DMZ Commander

Post by DMZ Commander »

lawm wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:14 pm Is the no till higher value a real world thing or is it a gimmick in this game? I've watched no till operations till parts of fields or certain fields to get better germination depending on the ground composition. Not every year but when the situation is there. It's just odd that they removed a vanilla feature being useful at all. I feel like it should be, plow when needed and you get this or no till and get this number. Do most farmers do no till for the green aspect or because its saving them money?

Seems like we need an option to mow corn fields after harvest in order to no till or just plow cultivate and plant like vanilla. Cost savings being in not running a heavy plow for long stretches.
I think the whole idea of "sustainability" that PF pushes prefers no till due to saving cost on wear and tare of the equipment and fuel savings
PC Master Race
Phanteks Enthoo Elite
Z590 Godlike
i9 11900k
RTX 3090
64GB Ram
x2 2TB SSD
Oddyssey Neo G9
ScotsDude73

Post by ScotsDude73 »

Direct drilling after mulching and liming. Seed the field with direct drill planter or seeder that takes fertilizer or spread slurry, manure or digestate before you you seed the field. Roll the field after seeding. Skip the night you will get your first growth spurt and medium size weeds growing. I tried herbicide and got a yield penalty. Second time I got weeds I used the hoe under weeders second from the left and got no yield penalty.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

lawm wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:44 pm Do farmers worry about " environmental scores"? Or is the biggest benefit personally to a farm, the fact that they no longer waste time and fuel as much?
I would be curious to know if it’s a thing anywhere, for me personally over fertilizing is a waste of money besides the runoff being bad for the environment. The whole no till vs. tilling thing really depends on your soil. Some fields needs to be worked because they just pack harder and others it’s not a big deal. It’s hard to put it into a game correctly because there’s so many factors like washing or blowing soil or how hard you were in the field during harvest. It’s just so many variables I personally wish they would stay away from it. What it boils down to is what’s good for the environment tends to be mostly good for the land you farm and your wallet as well.
lawm

Post by lawm »

Mwal wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:14 pm
lawm wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:44 pm Do farmers worry about " environmental scores"? Or is the biggest benefit personally to a farm, the fact that they no longer waste time and fuel as much?
I would be curious to know if it’s a thing anywhere, for me personally over fertilizing is a waste of money besides the runoff being bad for the environment. The whole no till vs. tilling thing really depends on your soil. Some fields needs to be worked because they just pack harder and others it’s not a big deal. It’s hard to put it into a game correctly because there’s so many factors like washing or blowing soil or how hard you were in the field during harvest. It’s just so many variables I personally wish they would stay away from it. What it boils down to is what’s good for the environment tends to be mostly good for the land you farm and your wallet as well.
I know i saw Welker or someone disc up some ground because of the hardness. It just bugs me that they tied it to your sell price as a bonus. I will have to figure a way to play around that aspect starting out. I love the numbers/ spreadsheet aspects added and then soil types and yield numbers.

As to what you said about wasting money, that's what I always assumed from hearing farmers is that they dont farm one way or another unless it makes their life easier or it's more profitable. They should have almost implemented it so that you sometimes had to plow certain types of ground or added crop rotation so that you have to plow after corn but then the numbers even out as you start no till wheat etc after corn. Or plow and plant vs chopping corn stalks and direct drill no till. Like you said, too many parameters. Maybe someday