@ScriptModders - Suggested modifications for `register.lua` failures due to game-patch 1.4.0.0

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
Decker_MMIV

@ScriptModders - Suggested modifications for `register.lua` failures due to game-patch 1.4.0.0

Post by Decker_MMIV »

As many of us PC/Mac players who use mods in FS22 experienced, the patch 1.4.0.0 caused quite a change, that broke a random set of script-mods.

I took a look at this, because some script-mods worked fine, where others did not - so I imagined that it could be due to the very different methods, that the script-modding community have created throughout the years, for registering/injecting their custom specializations into existing vehicle-types in Farming Simulator.

What I discovered, was that the script-mods that fails loading in patch 1.4.0.0, mostly uses old register.lua script code, including expecting that the self.spec_... member-variable is automatically created.

After a bit of trial-and-error, I managed to privately modify some of other mod-authors' script-mods that I use in my game-sessions, and got them working again. - Though there may still be other problems I have yet to discover.

DO NOT ATTEMPT THE FOLLOWING, IF YOU HAVE NO EXPERIENCE WITH MODIFYING LUA SCRIPTS!
Instead just be patient and wait for the mod-authors to fix their script-mods.

As there may be other script-modders out there, who are currently struggling with updating their mods to work again for patch 1.4.0.0, I have below explained the steps I did, for what to change and modify, to get script-mods back into a hopefully working state again - unless GIANTS Software quickly provides a hot-fix that restores the old method, of letting script-mods inject their specializations into existing vehicle-types.

Could be that some script-modders may find this information and knowledge useful.

For the below examples, I have used loki_79's Realistic Cab View mod - though it could be any other script-mod that uses an older method of registering/injecting its specializations.

Remove the registration of your specialization from your Lua script, and instead put it into the modDesc.XML file

Code: Select all

// OLD - in Lua script (maybe called `register.lua`)

g_specializationManager:addSpecialization('cabView', 'CabView', Utils.getFilename('CabView.lua', g_currentModDirectory), true);
^^ Comment out or remove such statements from your Lua script, and register your specialization-script(s) within the modDesc.XML file, in the <specializations> block, as individual <specialization ... /> elements.

// NEW - in `modDesc.xml`

<specializations>
        <specialization name="cabView" className="CabView" filename="CabView.lua" />
    </specializations>

Change the Lua code that "register"/inject your specialization into existing vehicle-types.
There might be a "better, proper and cleaner method" for doing this (GIANTS developers, please share if possible), but for now this seems to be how it is known and done by the modding community

// OLD - in Lua script (maybe called `register.lua`)

for vehicleName, vehicleType in pairs(g_vehicleTypeManager.types) do
    if  SpecializationUtil.hasSpecialization(Drivable,  vehicleType.specializations) and
        SpecializationUtil.hasSpecialization(Motorized, vehicleType.specializations) and
        SpecializationUtil.hasSpecialization(Enterable, vehicleType.specializations) and
        SpecializationUtil.hasSpecialization(Dashboard, vehicleType.specializations)
    then
        g_vehicleTypeManager:addSpecialization(vehicleName, "cabView")
        print("INSTALLED: "..vehicleName)
    end
end
^^ Modify the old script code, by:
- Adding a script-scoped variable called modName, that is assigned the value of g_currentModName.
- Moving the for-loop into a function (if not already), which I here have named injectSpecialization.
- Create local variable modNameSpecName and assign it a string-value concatinated to contain "<modName>.<specialization-name>".
- Change the #2 argument in call to g_vehicleTypeManager:addSpecialization to use the modNameSpecName variable.
- Adding new statements for appending an anonymous-function to TypeManager.validateTypes - which will check that it is type-manager for "vehicle" before calling our injectSpecialization function.

// NEW - in Lua script (maybe called `register.lua`)

local modName = g_currentModName;

function injectSpecialization()
    local modNameSpecName = modName .. "." .. "cabView"

for vehicleName, vehicleType in pairs(g_vehicleTypeManager.types) do
        if  SpecializationUtil.hasSpecialization(Drivable,  vehicleType.specializations) and
            SpecializationUtil.hasSpecialization(Motorized, vehicleType.specializations) and
            SpecializationUtil.hasSpecialization(Enterable, vehicleType.specializations) and
            SpecializationUtil.hasSpecialization(Dashboard, vehicleType.specializations)
        then
            g_vehicleTypeManager:addSpecialization(vehicleName, modNameSpecName)
            print("INSTALLED: "..vehicleName)
        end
    end
end

TypeManager.validateTypes = Utils.appendedFunction(TypeManager.validateTypes, function(self)
    if self.typeName == "vehicle" then
        injectSpecialization()
    end
end)

Recreate the possibly missing self.spec_... member-variable.
For an example of how GIANTS Software does this, take a look at FS19's Precision Farming DLC mod, the SoilSampler.lua script.

// OLD - in your Lua specialization script

function CabView:onLoad(savegame)
    spec = self.spec_cabView

^^ Due to the updated method of registering and injecting the specialization script, now the self.spec_... member-variable cannot be easily accessed, as it have a dot in it.
- First add a script-scoped variable called modName, that is assigned the value of g_currentModName.
- Then in the "first function of this specialization that gets called when a vehicle is spawned", add a new statement, that creates the wanted self.spec_... member-variable and assign it the value of the not-easily-accessible self.spec_<modName>.<specialization-name> member-variable.

// NEW - in your Lua specialization script

local modName = g_currentModName

function CabView:onLoad(savegame)
    self.spec_cabView = self["spec_" .. modName .. "." .. "cabView"]

local spec = self.spec_cabView

ebelbeb

Re: @ScriptModders - Suggested modifications for `register.lua` failures due to game-patch 1.4.0.0

Post by ebelbeb »

Thank you very much. Thanks to your suggestions, I have fixed about 10 mods :)
Some ModHub mods have been fixed by their authors. I see they are doing this without adding <specializations> to modDesc.
goodN8JohnBoy

Re: @ScriptModders - Suggested modifications for `register.lua` failures due to game-patch 1.4.0.0

Post by goodN8JohnBoy »

The defined XML and LUA schemes are now validated very strictly.
The most common problem were wrong parameters in 'g_specializationManager:addSpecialization()'.
Many people used addSpecialization(name, className, filename, 'true|false') for whatever reason.
However right is addSpecialization(name, className, filename, customEnvironment) where the last may be 'nil' or a table.
So many mods worked again merely by changing true|false to nil.
ice_boii_1207

Post by ice_boii_1207 »

Thanks for the information bro. Only if i new how to code 😒
Ice_boii :gamer:
dawauz

Post by dawauz »

I'm also not a scripter, but I like a mod who is broken with this errors.

Maybe can someone fix this?

https://www.kingmods.net/en/fs22/mods/compost-addon