Transfer files to new savegame

Nova1990

Transfer files to new savegame

Post by Nova1990 »

I have been playing on Elm Creek for about 260 hours and i have found a Elm Creek 4x mod map i dont want to start from scratch again so i tryed to transfer all the xml files and it worked. BUT my ground doesnt changed i have changed fields and has also made some dirt roads, also my productions has grass inside, so i wounder wich file should i move to the to the new save game??
MK_McD

Re: Transfer files to new savegame

Post by MK_McD »

The files you need to transfer won't work on a different map.
Nova1990

Post by Nova1990 »

Ok thanks
sablerock

Post by sablerock »

This is a major design flaw. Hard to believe that Giants can’t fix it
Noraf

Post by Noraf »

sablerock wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:25 pm This is a major design flaw. Hard to believe that Giants can’t fix it
How can it be a design flaw that changes you do ingame on one map, can't be transfered directly over to a completely different map?

I fail to see the logic of that to be honest
:hi:

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Just remember, if the world didn't su.., we'd all fall of...
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

Noraf wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:57 pm
sablerock wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:25 pm This is a major design flaw. Hard to believe that Giants can’t fix it
How can it be a design flaw that changes you do ingame on one map, can't be transfered directly over to a completely different map?

I fail to see the logic of that to be honest
I think the logic is rather simple:

"I want to do this. I cannot do this. Therefore GIANTS have a design flaw."

Or maybe it's simplistic logic?
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
sablerock

Post by sablerock »

I am talking about transferring to exactly the same map.
It’s a design flaw for simple reason that we the users, who paid for a product, require this functionality.
I was a system developer on IBM machines for many years.
Programmatically it’s certainly possible in this game
TheSuBBie

Post by TheSuBBie »

I have been playing on Elm Creek for about 260 hours and i have found a Elm Creek 4x mod map

Sorry but they are not the same map, one is a 2k x 2k map the other is a 4k x4k map which requires different size weight/gdm/grle etc files.
JDMFarms

Post by JDMFarms »

If you are familiar enough with the xml files and have manipulated them enough, you will know how quickly/often the object id's change. thats one main thing I know that holds back Giants from making it more easy to transfer game data from one map to another. Yes, same map name is not the same map. SuBBie explained that eloquently.

Sablerock, as a developer...do you think (professional opinion) they can stick with the same game engine or will they have to start from scratch to fix this issue? Yes, anything is possible but is is practical?
sablerock

Post by sablerock »

Practical for coder? Yes certainly. Because the software processes are already in place. Let’s just be clear: it MUST be the same map.
New engine? Certainly not.
Only reason I required this functionality, ran out of land space on Elmcreek. So, give up 500hrs of work?
Can certainly copy only xml files, loose all my ingame
Landscaping.
In the end, I am forced to look for different map.
And start over…..
JDMFarms

Post by JDMFarms »

im lost in your scenario. if you ran out of landspace, how is a new savegame on the same map going to give you more land space? Sounds like all you need to do is sell all farms (assuming you dont have placeables on them), delete two files (cultivator/fruit dens) in the savegame and will start over with saved hours/bank/etc.
sablerock

Post by sablerock »

Because we can delete all decorative buildings and incorporate that land into existing fields.
And that would require new save
sablerock

Post by sablerock »

Old post, I have managed to write software to do this. Any landscape changes in base map are incorporated in Savegame map. No new game needed