Grass rollers don't seem to

Neofit

Grass rollers don't seem to

Post by Neofit »

Hi,

I've got the APV GK 300 roller on discount and decided to try grass growing. DId a pass with it, field info says "Need Rolling" in blue. Then later got a bigger one, the blue Dalbo MaxiRoll 630 Greenline, same description as the other one, "Grass rollers and weeders improve..." . Harvested the grass, did a pass, as the manual says it counted as a fertilization pass, but still, "Needs Rolling". OK, the first one may have been a weeder only, but the Dalbo has "MaxiRoll" in the name. Am I doing something wrong?
FS19+22 PC
raran

Re: Grass rollers don't seem to

Post by raran »

Neofit wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:02 pm Hi,

I've got the APV GK 300 roller on discount and decided to try grass growing. DId a pass with it, field info says "Need Rolling" in blue. Then later got a bigger one, the blue Dalbo MaxiRoll 630 Greenline, same description as the other one, "Grass rollers and weeders improve..." . Harvested the grass, did a pass, as the manual says it counted as a fertilization pass, but still, "Needs Rolling". OK, the first one may have been a weeder only, but the Dalbo has "MaxiRoll" in the name. Am I doing something wrong?
That notification is for actually rolling a fresh seeded field. You'd have to reseed the field and then roll it with a fieldroller.
Neofit

Post by Neofit »

raran wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:17 pm
Neofit wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:02 pm Hi,

That notification is for actually rolling a fresh seeded field. You'd have to reseed the field and then roll it with a fieldroller.
Re-plowed part of the grass field, sowed some grass and used the blue grass roller, still "Needs rolling".
FS19+22 PC
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

You need to use a field roller not a grass roller, use this immediately after seeding
EUROFARMER22

Post by EUROFARMER22 »

Neofit wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:02 pm
Here are the tutorials about soil and grass rollers. Have a look.

https://www.farming-simulator.com/newsA ... ews_id=295

Happy Farming *thumbsup*
John Deere - Nothing runs like a deere !

PC Specs:
Windows 11
AMD Ryzen™ 7 5700G
16GB DDR4 RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3060 Ti 8GB
256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
1 TB HDD
Neofit

Post by Neofit »

I am using a grass roller on a field I have sown with grass. It does not remove the "Needs rolling" status?
FS19+22 PC
EUROFARMER22

Post by EUROFARMER22 »

Neofit wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:27 pm
OK, I will try to help you understand the difference.
Other thing is soil roller and another thing is grass roller. After you seed anything, whatever is that, even grass, you will need to roll it in order to create a seedbed. To do this, you will have to use a soil roller.
After you harvest grass and you make your hay, bales etc, instead of fertilize it you will use the grass roller.
I hope you understand the difference.
Please read the tutorials about soil and grass rollers and I would recommend you to read all the tutorials about every aspect of the game.

Happy Farming *thumbsup*
John Deere - Nothing runs like a deere !

PC Specs:
Windows 11
AMD Ryzen™ 7 5700G
16GB DDR4 RAM
NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3060 Ti 8GB
256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
1 TB HDD
lawm

Post by lawm »

I feel like they overdid the rolling aspect. I also had to ask about this when I first started. The regular field rolling makes sense when seeding. But the grass rollers for resetting the growth is overkill. I didn't even know that was a thing on grass fields until some of the users mentioned they do it in real life. I've never seen a field roller used for seeding ley alone for grass. The only reason it made sense is because we have put in lawns and roll over the grass seeds before throwing straw over top.
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

lawm wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:01 pm I feel like they overdid the rolling aspect. I also had to ask about this when I first started. The regular field rolling makes sense when seeding. But the grass rollers for resetting the growth is overkill. I didn't even know that was a thing on grass fields until some of the users mentioned they do it in real life. I've never seen a field roller used for seeding ley alone for grass. The only reason it made sense is because we have put in lawns and roll over the grass seeds before throwing straw over top.
I think the 2 main reasons it is done in real life as I understand it are it improves the condition of the soil structure ie levels out any indentations from animal hooves if the field has been wet and secondly rolling bruises the grass which encourages growth. It is one of the things I dislike about precision farming how it removes the use of grass rollers.
raran

Post by raran »

norfolk farmer wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:48 am
lawm wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:01 pm I feel like they overdid the rolling aspect. I also had to ask about this when I first started. The regular field rolling makes sense when seeding. But the grass rollers for resetting the growth is overkill. I didn't even know that was a thing on grass fields until some of the users mentioned they do it in real life. I've never seen a field roller used for seeding ley alone for grass. The only reason it made sense is because we have put in lawns and roll over the grass seeds before throwing straw over top.
I think the 2 main reasons it is done in real life as I understand it are it improves the condition of the soil structure ie levels out any indentations from animal hooves if the field has been wet and secondly rolling bruises the grass which encourages growth. It is one of the things I dislike about precision farming how it removes the use of grass rollers.
I think they're working on fixing the grasrolling.
Neofit

Post by Neofit »

EUROFARMER22 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:48 pm
Other thing is soil roller and another thing is grass roller. After you seed anything, whatever is that, even grass, you will need to roll it in order to create a seedbed. To do this, you will have to use a soil roller.
After you harvest grass and you make your hay, bales etc, instead of fertilize it you will use the grass roller.
Please read the tutorials about soil and grass rollers and I would recommend you to read all the tutorials about every aspect of the game.

Happy Farming *thumbsup*
I've read the manual. What I took away from it was that you roll non-grass with a non-grass roller, and grass with a grass-roller. With a fertilization bonus for grass. It is not clear enough to explain that grass rolling is not really rolling, but fertilizing with no consumables but a much shorter device.
FS19+22 PC
JonasKaizer

Post by JonasKaizer »

Here are two sentences from the manual wich explains it enough.

Regular rollers are used after sowing, when the field is already cultivated and the seeds are in the soil.

Grass rollers are different. They are used after mowing grass.

Neofit wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:41 am
EUROFARMER22 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:48 pm

Happy Farming *thumbsup*
I've read the manual. What I took away from it was that you roll non-grass with a non-grass roller, and grass with a grass-roller. With a fertilization bonus for grass. It is not clear enough to explain that grass rolling is not really rolling, but fertilizing with no consumables but a much shorter device.
Neofit

Post by Neofit »

JonasKaizer wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:01 pm Here are two sentences from the manual wich explains it enough.

Regular rollers are used after sowing, when the field is already cultivated and the seeds are in the soil.

Sure, and they explain exactly what I said: Regular rollers do this and that, and for grass you use grass rollers, with "a special roller doing the same things but for grass" implied.
FS19+22 PC
JonasKaizer

Post by JonasKaizer »

Regular rollers - seeded ground
Grass rollers - mowed grass

If you try them and see what they do, it's really easy to remember what to use next time.
Neofit wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:26 pm
JonasKaizer wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:01 pm Here are two sentences from the manual wich explains it enough.

Sure, and they explain exactly what I said: Regular rollers do this and that, and for grass you use grass rollers, with "a special roller doing the same things but for grass" implied.
humbe

Post by humbe »

I just think of it like:

Grass rollers are just a way to fertilize a grass field.. In all other contexts, the game refers to soil rollers when taking about rolling..