Boots

Re: MAPS I miss the most in FS22

Post by Boots »

How about this one -
It was first put out in FS 17 and converted for FS 19

https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2019

Lawfolds - Aberdeenshire

I am also into family history and found out about my ancesters

It would be grate if in the game you could go back in time and farm the way it was done back then

What would they think of farming now compared back then ?
jasonbarron

Post by jasonbarron »

Mobias wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:38 pm Decent maps for FS22 are definitely its weak spot. OxygenDavid's are both fantastic and a nod to the past glories of FS17. BulletBill's Herefordshire map looks amazing if/when he ever releases it.

I can totally see why those guys want to draw a line over their past maps and not update them for FS22. People should move on. I do miss a decent US map though so I miss Lone Oak.

I had a pretty decent looking US map set in the Palouse region that was pretty far through development for FS17 and then 19 but I gave up on it because like a lot of people I just didn't really like FS19 and lost interest in it. I've thought about reviving it but it seems a bit late in the day for FS22. I'll see what FS25 brings.

Part of the problem for map making now is the farm sim community seems completely fragmented. If you got stuck with a specific problem there was always the forums over on FS-UK with lots of helpful people. I'm not sure where everyone is now.
Asking as a newish player (started with FS19 and recently just got into FS22), what in your opinion does a map need going for it to be considered "decent" or better in your view? Are we talking layout, ambiance, productions, visuals or what? I ask because you've mentioned in a couple posts that maps in this game are currently lacking but haven't mentioned specifics. I've played a handful of base game and modded maps in FS22 that seem good to me but without more experience I can't know what's missing.
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

jasonbarron wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:25 pm I've played a handful of base game and modded maps in FS22 that seem good to me but without more experience I can't know what's missing.
Everything is subjective of course so this is only my opinion. Personally I think maps need to look and feel like real living places. There needs to be great attention to detail. One thing I hate in farming sim maps are map borders which are just a wall of trees. Thats just a complete immersion breaker. See how OxygenDavid does it with his maps. They're open borders that make you feel you're part of a much bigger world. BulletBill is another master of this but he pretty much stayed with FS17, although he does seem to have a new Herefordshire map in development for FS22. It looks incredible.

To be fair making a map with open borders is pretty difficult to do well, which is why so many map makers don't bother.

FS22 does seem to have a lot of so called 'cookie cutter' maps. In others words generic maps which use Giants off the shelf models and very little thought and creativity gone into making the map seem interesting. They just lack any charm and there's next to no attention to detail.

FS17 had so many incredible maps, including some amazing US ones like the epic County Lines map. But that was when so little was even made for the consoles. Most of it was PC only back then. I get the impression FS19 backfired so badly for some people they lost interest in the game and never went back. Also, I do know some map makers really haven't liked the direction the game has gone in with production lines and giving the player the option to delete buildings and edit things, declutter and that sort of thing. I guess its all made making realistic maps harder.

Anyway thats all my personal opinion. Clearly there are players who place map playability ahead of realism in their priority, and thats fine of course, but if I'm going to throw hours into developing and living in a map its got to be immersive and I've got to feel the map maker has poured their heart and soul into creating something beautiful.
Guil

Post by Guil »

Boots wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:33 pm How about this one -
It was first put out in FS 17 and converted for FS 19

https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2019

Lawfolds - Aberdeenshire

I am also into family history and found out about my ancesters

It would be grate if in the game you could go back in time and farm the way it was done back then

What would they think of farming now compared back then ?
I loved that map on Fs17 and played god know how many hours on it.

The West Coast too, absolute uproar here when it was released and for some reason the map was not available on consoles when it should have been lol
ASOLANDRI

Post by ASOLANDRI »

Mobias wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:02 pm FS17 had so many incredible maps, including some amazing US ones like the epic County Lines map. But that was when so little was even made for the consoles. Most of it was PC only back then.
I remember South Mountain Creamery. One of my favorite maps.
Greetings, from Central Texas! :hi:

Back to the digital farm with the new 65" TCL 4K HDR TV. PS5 *thumbsup*

Map/Playtime:
Griffin, Indiana 22: 103 Hours
Edgewater, SK: 79 Hours
Ohio Richlands: 78 Hours
Alma, Missouri: 50 Hours
Elmcreek: 32 Hours
Big Flats, Texas: 20 Hours
jasonbarron

Post by jasonbarron »

Mobias wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:02 pm
jasonbarron wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:25 pm I've played a handful of base game and modded maps in FS22 that seem good to me but without more experience I can't know what's missing.
Everything is subjective of course so this is only my opinion. Personally I think maps need to look and feel like real living places. There needs to be great attention to detail. One thing I hate in farming sim maps are map borders which are just a wall of trees. Thats just a complete immersion breaker. See how OxygenDavid does it with his maps. They're open borders that make you feel you're part of a much bigger world. BulletBill is another master of this but he pretty much stayed with FS17, although he does seem to have a new Herefordshire map in development for FS22. It looks incredible.

To be fair making a map with open borders is pretty difficult to do well, which is why so many map makers don't bother.

FS22 does seem to have a lot of so called 'cookie cutter' maps. In others words generic maps which use Giants off the shelf models and very little thought and creativity gone into making the map seem interesting. They just lack any charm and there's next to no attention to detail.

FS17 had so many incredible maps, including some amazing US ones like the epic County Lines map. But that was when so little was even made for the consoles. Most of it was PC only back then. I get the impression FS19 backfired so badly for some people they lost interest in the game and never went back. Also, I do know some map makers really haven't liked the direction the game has gone in with production lines and giving the player the option to delete buildings and edit things, declutter and that sort of thing. I guess its all made making realistic maps harder.

Anyway thats all my personal opinion. Clearly there are players who place map playability ahead of realism in their priority, and thats fine of course, but if I'm going to throw hours into developing and living in a map its got to be immersive and I've got to feel the map maker has poured their heart and soul into creating something beautiful.
Makes sense. Thank you for the detailed response.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

I agree with what Mobias says but there's something else: the default colour palette seems very saturated and toy-like. My favourite maps, Calmsden, Court Farms etc. have much softer, more natural tones and that makes the immersion much better. Personally, although I very much appreciate the endless borders, I can put up with a wall of trees border much better than I can out of character buildings in garish colours.

I am amazed that the map creators are so tolerant of the way their maps are treated: the creator spends months modelling a real-life place down to the wording on the road signs, the angle of the gates, the trees in the hedges, the rubbish in the yards that you can see in Google maps and then ... some player comes along, destroys the hedges and trees and slaps down and out-of-area cattle barn and a dozen huge sheds, with flat slabs of land between ... "Look at the farm I made!"
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
Mobias

Post by Mobias »

Giants definitely have put too much emphasis on giving the player the ability to edit maps. A bit of customisation is fine but they should empower and encourage the really good map makers out there to make great maps on PC and then have them available for console. A really good farm sim map shouldn't need to be edited.
cedricthecat

Post by cedricthecat »

blue_painted wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:14 pm I agree with what Mobias says but there's something else: the default colour palette seems very saturated and toy-like. My favourite maps, Calmsden, Court Farms etc. have much softer, more natural tones and that makes the immersion much better. Personally, although I very much appreciate the endless borders, I can put up with a wall of trees border much better than I can out of character buildings in garish colours.

I am amazed that the map creators are so tolerant of the way their maps are treated: the creator spends months modelling a real-life place down to the wording on the road signs, the angle of the gates, the trees in the hedges, the rubbish in the yards that you can see in Google maps and then ... some player comes along, destroys the hedges and trees and slaps down and out-of-area cattle barn and a dozen huge sheds, with flat slabs of land between ... "Look at the farm I made!"
BIB: I'm sure there is a mod that allows you to use colour settings from any map you have installed on whichever map you are playing, unless I dreamt it! It might be part of Easy Development Controls although I can't see it :(
Played FS2013 and FS15 on PS3
Playing FS17, FS19 and now FS22 on PS4
Playing FS22 on PC
//www.natterzone.net
XiniX

Post by XiniX »

Additional Game Settings Mod

https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2022

With the custom lighting option you can use the lighting of another map in your mods folder.
FS19: Macbook
FS22: Mac mini M1
FS14, FS16, FS18, FS20: iPad

Log.txt, how to post?
Images, how to post?
TheSuBBie

Post by TheSuBBie »

Modders have no choice hence the proliferation of the cut/paste maps.

Perhaps there should be a Planning permision system so any changes have to be agreed (on a random basis inc wildlife concerns) and financial penaltys.
cedricthecat

Post by cedricthecat »

XiniX wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:06 pm Additional Game Settings Mod

With the custom lighting option you can use the lighting of another map in your mods folder.
Thanks XiniX - turns out I am not going mad! :D
Played FS2013 and FS15 on PS3
Playing FS17, FS19 and now FS22 on PS4
Playing FS22 on PC
//www.natterzone.net
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

cedricthecat wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:59 pm
XiniX wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:06 pm Additional Game Settings Mod

Thanks XiniX - turns out I am not going mad! :D
I had forgotten about that.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
Mr Martin

Post by Mr Martin »

For me:

Stappenbach and Holzer.

Both are blocked...