The effect of grass rollers?

mexel75

The effect of grass rollers?

Post by mexel75 »

The grass rollers are supposed to increase the yield of the grass field. Yet, I dont see any change in the yield map after using the grass roller. Neither does the 'Needs rolling' state of the field change.

What is the effect of a grass roller?
Sinclaircool

Re: The effect of grass rollers?

Post by Sinclaircool »

I think it just acts as fertiliser
Don't leak mods
JensChrDK

Post by JensChrDK »

If you want the "needs rolling" to be gone, you need to replant the grass and then use a roller right after.

And then use a grass roller after you have cut the grass, so the field is either in "harvested" or "growing" state.
Been playing WAAAAY to many hours - PC with Logitech G27 and Thrustmaster Simtask Farmstick
FarmingBucket

Post by FarmingBucket »

Grass rollers add a fertilizer state as well as speed up the growth cycle.
mexel75

Post by mexel75 »

No, the grass roller doesn't add fertilizer (with precision farming).

Of course the standard roller, after seeding grass, changes the 'needs rolling' state. But once grass is seeded, there is no use any more for the standard roller, and you would think that the grass roller would change the 'needs rolling' state. So you can see on the map if you have grass rolled or not. But it doesnt.

Grass rollers doesn't seem to have any use with precision farming. That doesn't make much sense. What's the idea behind that Giants?
cwattyeso

Post by cwattyeso »

Only thing Grass Roller will do with Precision Farming Active is instantly change a Grass field from Harvested to Growing again. Where as without using the Grass Roller you would have to advance until the next month/growth period to see the field change by itself from Harvested back to Growing again. Basically using the Grass Roller in the right way allows you to squeeze and extra mowing out of grass fields if playing with seasons on as you can remove the delay between when the harvested grass fields starts to re-grow.
Check out my YouTube Channel for Farming Simulator and other Gaming Let's Plays and Videos at https://www.youtube.com/c/CwattyesoGamingforFun :D

Also be sure to check out my Kick Channel for my Farming Simulator Live Streams and Multiplayer Server at https://www.kick.com/cwattyeso :gamer:

GIANTS SOFTWARE Personal Partner Code: CWATTYESO *thumbsup*
mexel75

Post by mexel75 »

cwattyeso wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:40 pm Only thing Grass Roller will do with Precision Farming Active is instantly change a Grass field from Harvested to Growing again. Where as without using the Grass Roller you would have to advance until the next month/growth period to see the field change by itself from Harvested back to Growing again. Basically using the Grass Roller in the right way allows you to squeeze and extra mowing out of grass fields if playing with seasons on as you can remove the delay between when the harvested grass fields starts to re-grow.
Ok, but that's a bit far fetched idea isn't it? I mean what is that feature trying to simulate?
bojanh66

Post by bojanh66 »

Nothing, its totally broken in PF, ive been rolling grass few years trying to get 4th harvest, but its impossible because its broken, there are a few threads about this issue on Reddit where people tested it and confirmed its broken, you can get only 3 full grass harvest in May, August and November, whether rolled or not.
cwattyeso

Post by cwattyeso »

Playing with Seasons and no Precision Farming I’ve always been able to get a Mow in March, May, August and November in FS22 using the roller to reset the field to growing and raising the fertiliser state to 100%. On some mod maps I play with customised growth calendar I can mow Grass in March, May, July, September and November. Giving an increase to the number of cuts.
Last edited by cwattyeso on Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my YouTube Channel for Farming Simulator and other Gaming Let's Plays and Videos at https://www.youtube.com/c/CwattyesoGamingforFun :D

Also be sure to check out my Kick Channel for my Farming Simulator Live Streams and Multiplayer Server at https://www.kick.com/cwattyeso :gamer:

cwattyeso

Post by cwattyeso »

mexel75 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:55 pm Ok, but that's a bit far fetched idea isn't it? I mean what is that feature trying to simulate?
Rolling grass fields in real life serves two functions, the first to push down stones or rocks which could potentially harm machinery, secondly it provides better soil to plant contact that promotes and encourages better and more consistent growth. In the game whether playing base game or with precision farming the grass roller is encouraging and speeding up the grass to begin growing and removes the need to wait for natural growth cycles to occur.

mexel75

Post by mexel75 »

cwattyeso wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 6:59 pm
mexel75 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:55 pm Ok, but that's a bit far fetched idea isn't it? I mean what is that feature trying to simulate?
Rolling grass fields in real life serves two functions, the first to push down stones or rocks which could potentially harm machinery, secondly it provides better soil to plant contact that promotes and encourages better and more consistent growth. In the game whether playing base game or with precision farming the grass roller is encouraging and speeding up the grass to begin growing and removes the need to wait for natural growth cycles to occur.
Well, you can always try to make up your own explanation. But again, according to Giants, it's supposed to increase the yield. But it doesn't.
FarmingBucket

Post by FarmingBucket »

mexel75 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:54 am
Well, you can always try to make up your own explanation. But again, according to Giants, it's supposed to increase the yield. But it doesn't.
If you're not playing with Precision Farming, using a grass roller increases the yield as it provides a fertilizer state.
mexel75

Post by mexel75 »

FarmingBucket wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:58 am
mexel75 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:54 am
If you're not playing with Precision Farming, using a grass roller increases the yield as it provides a fertilizer state.
Yep. But we are talking about playing with Precision Farming.
cwattyeso

Post by cwattyeso »

mexel75 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:54 am Well, you can always try to make up your own explanation.
Not making up any explanation. What I posted was what was given on many articles as an answer for why do people or why do farmers roll grass when google searched. I'm sorry you just can't accept any answer that anyone gives you.

Also understand that when Giants states that rolling Increases Yield, they are talking about the Vanilla game, where rolling increases fertiliser state which increases Yield. If you then choose to install and play the game with mods which adjust or remove the basegame mechanics and systems Giants have put in place, you can't then turn round and complain that the feature isn't working as advertised. Yes Precision Farming removes the fertiliser effect from Grass Rollers (and Giants have posted on these forums why that is the case.) which on first glance would be seen by some as reducing yield. However given what has already been said that using grass roller speeds up the growth cycle and allows for 1 additional cut per year, you are actully still gaining yield by using as Grass Roller with Precision Farming as you gain a whole extra cut.

mexel75

Post by mexel75 »

cwattyeso wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:39 am
mexel75 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:54 am Well, you can always try to make up your own explanation.
Not making up any explanation. What I posted was what was given on many articles as an answer for why do people or why do farmers roll grass when google searched. I'm sorry you just can't accept any answer that anyone gives you.

Also understand that when Giants states that rolling Increases Yield, they are talking about the Vanilla game, where rolling increases fertiliser state which increases Yield. If you then choose to install and play the game with mods which adjust or remove the basegame mechanics and systems Giants have put in place, you can't then turn round and complain that the feature isn't working as advertised. Yes Precision Farming removes the fertiliser effect from Grass Rollers (and Giants have posted on these forums why that is the case.) which on first glance would be seen by some as reducing yield. However given what has already been said that using grass roller speeds up the growth cycle and allows for 1 additional cut per year, you are actully still gaining yield by using as Grass Roller with Precision Farming as you gain a whole extra cut.
:biggrin2: No need to be sorry. I was asking for any reason to use the grass roller. Didnt know that it reduces the grass growth cycle. Thanks for that *thumbsup*