FS22 New Dedicated Server States "Unable to start game server"

Dilligan

FS22 New Dedicated Server States "Unable to start game server"

Post by Dilligan »

I've been dealing with this for a little while now and really just want to get this resolved, and I have not had any help from Giants. I followed Farmer Kleins videos in addition to reading the pdf included with the game.

I downloaded FS22 from Giants website, used a key through them, and got the dedicated server program running.

Before I even start playing with any settings, I try to start server, and I'm met with "Unable to start game server, see logfile". The log file says "[23/Dec/2022:17:09:34] Unable to start game server". I have then also tried playing with settings.

Ran dedicated server and game as admin, the user account has full permission to the install directory and the my documents directory, tried this on the Server 2019 unit and my Windows 10 computer. I've looked at every result on google and there's just about nothing I can find with this exact error, and nothing that's helped me so far. I'm not sure if there is just something stupid I'm missing or if this is something more complicated.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd greatly appreciate it, and any questions I'll gladly answer.
Dilligan

Re: FS22 New Dedicated Server States "Unable to start game server"

Post by Dilligan »

My friends and I want to give this game another shot so we're trying again. Had a couple other guys help me but got just as far, except this time when I try to launch the game over RDC or VMRC (which is one of the steps in the server PDF) I get
"FarmingSimulator2022Game.exe - Entry Point Not Found"
"The procedure entry point SetThreadDescription could not be located in the dynamic link library E:\Servers\FS22 - Ch22 FMPA\x64\FarmingSimulator2022Game.exe."

This is a clean install, install ran as admin, tried all the same tricks as before, and the only result I'm getting on google was to verify files through steam so I reinstalled it again. This is with the latest available download.

So I did accidently launch the DedicatedServer.exe, quickly Xed it out and launched the game again, where it actually came up with a window to enter my key as well as the error. It took the key, then started toing some update thing, then closed out. I assume that means it successfully finished.

Again in the past I've tried this on my Windows 10 computer, just tried it again on Server 2019 running on HP hardware in a VMWare hypervisor, and tried it on Server 2022 on custom hardware (Gigabyte AMD). Only the 2019 one game the dll error, the other two just the same old "Unable to start game server, see logfile".

The best part is because of how jank they set this up, I ended up having to buy 3 keys myself, yet we still can't play and reaching out to their support all I ever got was "contact your server provider". One key when I bought the game, a 2nd because apparently server needs it's own key (only game I know that does that), then a 3rd because apparently the steam version just, doesn't run dedicated server, although it comes with it. Guess they already got my money and they don't need any from my friends.
Dilligan

Post by Dilligan »

SOULUTION FOUND

Was watching a new tutorial that came out and when he clicked Start Server, it tried to pass some arguments to Steam, odd considering Giants says you can not run server through steam which is why I bought another copy directly through them.

Long story short, I made a shortcut to farmingsimulator22.exe and added -server to the end of the target, and if I run that while dedicated server is running, it launches just fine.
Shortcut properties
Target: "E:\Production\FS22 - Ch22 FMPC\FarmingSimulator2022.exe" -server

I'm just wondering why after we followed the few tutorials exactly and the documentation provided by Giants and even messaging them for support as the documentation says to, why we still ran into such a problem. It doesn't seem anyone else does, but maybe that's because everyone else just rents servers from them?

Either way we're glad to have figured this out and I came back here hoping this helps anyone else who may experience the issue.
MrMarcel5
GIANTS Software | QA Analyst

Post by MrMarcel5 »

The latest patch 1.13.1.1 had an issue with Dedicated servers running on Windows Server 2016
This is fixed in the next update. Great that you got it running, if you are having further issues in this regard it is recommended to update the OS to an newer version or fallback to patch 1.13.1.0.
1.13.1.0 & 1.13.1.1 are MP compatible so it doesn't matter in this case if the server is on a different version than clients.
Dilligan

Post by Dilligan »

Thank you for the further details, but this issue is also in 2022 Datacenter and 10 22H2 for me. I got it working in Server 2022 but I did not re-test it in the others, just got it running and left it at that.