IRL question about hitches

Helazak

IRL question about hitches

Post by Helazak »

One thing in the game is bothering me and it is a type of hitch that I have not come across IRL.

Item 1: the main ball
The tractor ball has a lock that prevents the hitch from coming off which is how a pintle hitch works, but the trailer does not have the typical ring. It looks more like a ball receiver and I have not been able to find anything like it online. I am probably not using the right words to search for it. What kind of hitch is this? Obviously it is used in heavy duty applications like a pintle hitch. The pintle lock on the tractor seems to be the only way it stays on the ball as there appears to be no other lock like you would see on a typical ball receiver. I can imagine that with the full ball socket there would be less movement up and down like you have with a pintle ring which has a bit of play to move around.

Item 2: The secondary hitch. I have seen these on RVs for sway stabilization, but on some of these implements it seems to be doing more than just sway control. I though I saw one attachment actually have rear wheel steering which this could be used for.

Anybody have experience with these IRL?

FS22 on PC, FS14, FS16, FS20 on iPhone Not a gamer. Most gamer jargon goes over my head.
Started playing for the education about farming.

Amateur (noob) Farmer 5 mostly forested acres
Tractor: Kubota M4900 (54HP), w/ Loader bucket and forks
Attachments: log splitter, Chipper/shredder, finish mower, scrape blade, rock rake, double moldboard plow, rototiller, Garden Bedder
UncleRico

Re: IRL question about hitches

Post by UncleRico »

Sounds to me like number 1 is just a pintle hitch with a ball so you can hook up either or. That’s pretty common I guess, not necessarily on tractors but definitely on pickups and small trucks. For number two you might need to be more specific (at least for me) there’s lots of different things used for stabilization, what implements is it on, more pics, ect.
Helazak

Post by Helazak »

A lot of attachments use the main closed ball cover style hitch.
Vaderstad Tempo L 16 planter
Most Manure spreaders and slurry tanks use it too. The larger ones tend to also use the second side ball (The Samson Flex 23, Bergman TSW 6240 W, and the Stautmann PS 3401)
The Slurry Tank Veenhuis Premium Integral 30000 uses two side balls

The attachment shown is an Agroliner MUK 303 Trailer.
Most of the trailers use the closed ball hitch as opposed to the Pintle Ring hitch and half the auger wagons.
The Bergmann Beet Cart RRW 500 and the Bergmann HTW 65 Trailer use two side balls. From what I can see it looks like the side balls are for stabilization. They look like they might be attached to shock absorbers to reduce sway.

I was hoping someone had experience IRL with these.
FS22 on PC, FS14, FS16, FS20 on iPhone Not a gamer. Most gamer jargon goes over my head.

Attachments: log splitter, Chipper/shredder, finish mower, scrape blade, rock rake, double moldboard plow, rototiller, Garden Bedder
JensChrDK

Post by JensChrDK »

The second ball hitch is to steer the turning wheels on the trailer.
Been playing WAAAAY to many hours - PC with Logitech G27 and Thrustmaster Simtask Farmstick
Helazak

Post by Helazak »

JensChrDK wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:30 pm The second ball hitch is to steer the turning wheels on the trailer.
That doesn't surprise me. Can you point out which trailer does this?

Do you know what the primary hitch style is called? I still cant find an example of it online.

plukje1

Post by plukje1 »

This type of hitch is called a k80 coupling.
JensChrDK

Post by JensChrDK »

Helazak wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:16 pm
JensChrDK wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:30 pm The second ball hitch is to steer the turning wheels on the trailer.
That doesn't surprise me. Can you point out which trailer does this?

Do you know what the primary hitch style is called? I still cant find an example of it online.
As plukje1 says, it's called a K80 coupling.

A lot of different trailers use this system on their steering axles - Samson, Joskin and Strautmann just to mention a few. You can have that kind of steering axles, that follows the tractors movements, or an "old style" steering axle that you lock with the tractors hydraulic when you have to reverse.
Been playing WAAAAY to many hours - PC with Logitech G27 and Thrustmaster Simtask Farmstick
Helazak

Post by Helazak »

Thank you!
This is very cool.
Reading Scharmuller’s web site.

Still very few web search hits. Would be nice to see a performance comparison.

JensChrDK

Post by JensChrDK »

No worries mate *thumbsup*

Try searching for "forced steering" - maybe there's a couple more hits.