Please remove "Real World" ads from game -> Giants Devs

speedbrake

Why is the game serving ads?

Post by speedbrake »

Hi,

I paid for this game and now I see this:

Why does the game serve ads from https://ads-fs22.giants-software.com and why haven't we been told this is happening? I think this is a very bad business practice.
njuska11

Re: Why is the game serving ads?

Post by njuska11 »

Herecy! German company bildboard promotion in the american map hehe
Shintai

Post by Shintai »

It is dutch. This is quite wierd. Giants can we get an explanation for this? How can we remove it?

Link on the ad is this: https://www.bouwatch.nl/
eric21

Post by eric21 »

speedbrake wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:11 pm Hi,

Why does the game serve ads from https://ads-fs22.giants-software.com and why haven't we been told this is happening? I think this is a very bad business practice.
Didn't you see this in the early previews?
Deora

Post by Deora »

I did'nt notice the sign. A bit strange to have a Dutch sign in 'America'. In real life i rented a lot of those camera's.
FS19 and FS22 on PS4
thumbwiz

Post by thumbwiz »

eric21 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:41 pm
speedbrake wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:11 pm Hi,

Didn't you see this in the early previews?
Do you think he'd ask the question if he already known about it?
X1 / PC gaming
Ontario, Canada
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Very annoying, especially as they asked about adverts in the Fendt BB survey, and I'd be staggered if more than a couple voted in favour.

Obviously only on PC, but if you want to block them edit your C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file (no extension) to include the line:

Code: Select all

127.0.0.1 ads-fs22.giants-software.com
It seems the adverts aren't cached, so I've got the old drink advert back now.

You'll need to copy the hosts file elsewhere before editing, then replace it afterwards. There are plenty of guides on editing the hosts file if you're struggling.
Last edited by this_is_gav on Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
speedbrake

Post by speedbrake »

I haven't seen early previews, only what was shown by Giants in their marketing videos. I cannot remember they ever stated that real world ads, served from a live internet server were part of the game. Now I am not sure if they only serve a static image, or if the ads also contain additional logic, such as tracking codes or even worse, malware in case of a bad actor.
b101uk

Post by b101uk »

I really don't see a problem, do you think all the machinery is in FS for reasons other than brand awareness (which is advertising), do you think JD jumped on-board the FS train for reasons other than brand awareness, given they were late to the party.

sure a few billboards may be served-up and is something new in FS, but really is is so bad, given the language/URL is specific to you.

it is far from the first time this has been done in games, and Giants my use it to announce FS related things or manufacture stuff in a relatively low-key way
plays FS15/FS17/FS19/FS22 on PC
:zunge:
speedbrake

Post by speedbrake »

The game is rated E for everyone now, which might change the moment the first pr0n ad slips through.
Shintai

Post by Shintai »

speedbrake wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:51 pm The game is rated E for everyone now, which might change the moment the first pr0n ad slips through.
PEGI3 and ads is a slippery slope. Not even sure that is legal everywhere. At this point it should likely be PEGI16.
hjvg

Post by hjvg »

giants is pulling your location to serve a ad for the land your in so the dutch get this advertisement but people in uk see somting difrent.

i payed 40€ but it seems like its not eneugh for giants so they take my privacy as well to serv advertisement.

and as sayed bevore as the data is pulled somewhere from there is a possibility hackes/mallware can use it as well
Shintai

Post by Shintai »

I submitted it as a bug. Result: Working as intended.

You can block the IP 157.90.93.189 to avoid being served ads.
MrSquealypig

Post by MrSquealypig »

If it means they can make more/better maps and equipment, it doesn't bother me.

Especially since it is a stationary billboard. Not a video or anything intrusive.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

this_is_gav wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:16 pm Very annoying, especially as they asked about adverts in the Fendt BB survey, and I'd be staggered if more than a couple voted in favour.

Obviously only on PC, but if you want to block them edit your C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file (no extension) to include the line:

Code: Select all

127.0.0.1 ads-fs22.giants-software.com
It seems the adverts aren't cached, so I've got the old drink advert back now.

You'll need to copy the hosts file elsewhere before editing, then replace it afterwards. There are plenty of guides on editing the hosts file if you're struggling.
Or direct it to my own server to get in-character adverts? :)
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads