Modhub category sorting

Machinesloth

Modhub category sorting

Post by Machinesloth »

Hello,

The current sorting of the categories on modhub is really really unergonomical. It literally violates all kind of digital marketing and webpage creating rules there are, they should be in alphabetical order, or have icons at least. Sometimes I am on the brink of giving up looking for a mod because I spend a minute looking for a category. An average consumer wont stay for half that long on an ordinary website, I really think something should be done about this.

What do you guys think?
Noraf

Re: Modhub category sorting

Post by Noraf »

I'm not sure if I like the new setup.
I probably will in a week or so. It is easier to use on a phone for sure.
:hi:

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Just remember, if the world didn't su.., we'd all fall of...
pedrodefig

Post by pedrodefig »

Absolutely! Alfabetical order please.
Burekcina

Post by Burekcina »

The whole modhub subpage needs a rework. The categories order is a joke, there are no filters, no sorting, no comment section, no feedback options, no report options....the list goes on.
Reminds me of this game we're playing...called farming simulator...so much potential wasted...
Shooter65

Post by Shooter65 »

Totally agree alphabetical order would be way better because in it's current form it's faster to do a google search for the required mod than troll through all the pages.
Noraf

Post by Noraf »

You are currently very close to the comment and feedback section, it isn't very far away, as it's on this forums.
Just not this tread.
Searching is possible, and filters ingame works.
Report option also exists.....

I think the categories work well, newest first is handy too.

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Machinesloth

Post by Machinesloth »

Thank you for the suggestion, however this is intended as a discussion about this issue. I guess the moderators would have disapproved my thread (they had to approve it as it's my first post) if it was miscategorized.

Searching is possible in-game and on the website too, noone denies that (even though in-game it's sometimes not great). Browsing is not possible however, or at least it's a very bad experience because the categories are all over the place, I can't see how you could possibly deny this and defend it. I base this on a professional opinion, as digital marketing is part of my profession, I am not just simply trying to say big things.

Also, please keep this discussion about the webpage and not the in-game portal because that's what I intended this for.
Earnest Pea

Post by Earnest Pea »

The categories are arranged in a way that might not be obvious to new players. Vehicles are grouped together near the top, planting, sowing and fertiliziling equipment is grouped together, and so on. Alphabetic sorting might be better, but it might not.

I was looking for the Spreader catagory earlier and could not find it. The catagory is actually Fertilizer Spreaders. Alphabetic sorting would not have helped. Sorting by function wins in that case, but not necessarily for new players. The ability to choose the sort order might be a good compromise.
KnowhutImean?
PC|XB1
Machinesloth

Post by Machinesloth »

I see where you are coming from. Yes, choosing how you want to sort would be good. Or maybe sort by head and sub catogires, such as Fieldwork (Seeders, Cultivators, etc), Harvesters (Combines, Forage Harvesters, etc), Tractors (Small, medium, large) and so on and so on.
BitFarmer

Post by BitFarmer »

I would love to have the ability to sort mods when browsing. Most downloaded, highest rating, recently updated are three that spring to mind. Some filtering options could be implement size, cost, required horsepower etc.
Noraf

Post by Noraf »

Not sure why you would want to add an extra layer to this? Or do I misunderstand what you mean?
Now you got Harvesters in one category, and forage harvesters in another. Or do you want them all in one category? That would be a mess, as they have quite the different uses.

It's already sorted into subgroups as it is today, and as you get to know the system behind it, you will also get to see that it makes sense.
I really don't see the point in adding another layer to this. (Unless, of course I misunderstood)

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Mesocyclone

Post by Mesocyclone »

Noraf wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:16 pm It's already sorted into subgroups as it is today, and as you get to know the system behind it, you will also get to see that it makes sense.
I really don't see the point in adding another layer to this. (Unless, of course I misunderstood)
I think he meant: when you go to the category harvesters then you have an extra filter you can set as: most recent, most popular, most downloaded.
Machinesloth

Post by Machinesloth »

I meant creating reasonable main categories for the current catagories, thus making them sub-categories. There are like 7 different types of harvesters in the game. There are probably a dozen general fieldwork machines and I could go on. This is not my main incentive however, I just reacted to someones comment. I still think alphabetical irder should be the way.

I'm sorry Noraf, but it feels like you would defend anything if it was something GIANTS made and was somewhat usable. Don't forget that this is a website first and foremost, and you in today's market it should not be about "learning it" over several dozen visits, it should be absolutely intuitive. I can't think of a more intuitive thing than the alphabet.
Earnest Pea

Post by Earnest Pea »

Based on your argument, farming should just be intuitive for new farmers. It is not. Ir requires a learning period. It is not surprising that a game about farming should require some amount of learning.
KnowhutImean?
PC|XB1
Machinesloth

Post by Machinesloth »

I just mentioned this in my last comment that you are reflecting to: it's a website. The modhub is on a website, we are talking about a website. There is nothing gameplay related in this topic. Website usability and ergonomics is not about learning. It's marketing.