FS22 4x American map recommendation

Eische

FS22 4x American map recommendation

Post by Eische »

Looks like I need some community help here.

I want to start a fresh savegame on an American map setting. In short my requirements listed in order of priority:
- 4x map
- not completely flat (maybe rolling terrain, slight slopes, no excessive hills)
- decent total field area, so no forestry focussed maps or large non arable land portions
- map should not be crowded with buildings/productions or roads/other non removable objects
- preferably no excessive multifruit
- PF or Maize+ compatibility not required

My favorites from the maps I found so far:
- Elk Mountain (mining option outweights the quite large forestry area)
- Westby 4x (too much predefined farms, but terrain looks really good)
I already played on Shellbrook for a long time. Looking for something new now.

Other maps I found but are not what I'm looking for as per at least one of the above reasons:
- Hanna Indiana
- Middleburg
- Hobos Hollow
- ElmCreek 4x by Stevie
- Midwest Horizon
- Chilliwack
- Countyline
- Clarkson 4x
- UMRV
Green Valley Nebraska was actually fairly close, but it felt too ...sterile for my taste. Not sure how to say it in a better way.

I'm able to modifiy maps to some extend on my own. So please mention any map that fulfills at least top 2 priorities.
Please acknowledge that I'm not disrespecting those above maps or their creative modders. They all fit to several needs...but not mine.
Playing on PC - Win10
Ryzen 3600
RX 5500XT
16GB Ram
How to post log file
How to upload pictures
Please report bugs for FS22 using the bugtracker
UncleRico

Re: FS22 4x American map recommendation

Post by UncleRico »

Well it’s sort of flat and it’s bigger than 4x at 10km but I’m really enjoying but morris Manitoba at the moment. It has a unique spring time flooding mechanic and most buildings are placeable so you can really do your own thing with it especially if you use the object hider mod. It has a decent sized town so you can add productions that relate to maize plus if you like or others. It also has farms that are meant to look like they’re in operation so it gives the feeling of activity rather than complete isolation. I would also like to throw out that there’s two versions of umrv with the second being a create your own farm version with the existing farms being removed. I’m not sure if that would make it fit your criteria better or not I just know a lot of people don’t know that. As for elk mountain, in my opinion that is still the best 4x map I’ve ever played in farming simulator period.
Last edited by UncleRico on Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Earnest Pea

Post by Earnest Pea »

So the Morris Manitoba map would be a 25x map, not a 10x map. 25 standard size maps will fit within the space of the Morris Manitoba map.
KnowhutImean?
PC|XB1
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

Yeah I really don’t care other than how the creator labels it plus it was a typo so thanks but no thanks for the lesson, how about a suggestion for the OP rather than flexing your sweet FS knowledge
Earnest Pea

Post by Earnest Pea »

Sorry. I wasn't trying offend or prove anything. It was just an observational comment. As for maps, I'm just as interested in this thread as the OP. I wish I had a suggestion, since his list wants looks similar to my own.
KnowhutImean?
PC|XB1
Urinal2001

Post by Urinal2001 »

Snake Man wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:47 pm When you Use Actual Size (terrains) there is no confusion, camil's red river morris manitoba is 10.2 kilometers x 10.2 kilometers in size.
Nobody is confused, Snakeman, you don't need to keep pushing your agenda.
Eische

Post by Eische »

Thanks for the reommendation with Morris Manitoba. But yeah, that's just too big and flat for me.
Looked at one video and the map seems to be pretty detailed for such a large map. But as mentioned, not my cup of tea.

Yep I realized that there is a second version of UMRV available. I always check the modders site for other mods that might be interesting.

So as I wrote American in the title, I would also be interested in South American maps.
I also like Australia as a setting, but I already out-played Western Australia 4x during FS19.
Playing on PC - Win10
Ryzen 3600
RX 5500XT
16GB Ram
How to post log file
How to upload pictures
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 5665095607
This is the only other one I can really think of that comes close to your criteria otherwise I think you’re through all the maps I know. The release link is the post above this description one I shared with you. The only other maps I can think of would be the Yukon River valley which is very much a create your own farm and mining map or the creator of morris has been working another map but I have no idea when that will be released.
Eische

Post by Eische »

Unfortunately, Frankenmuth 4x is the definition of a flat map. But thanks for recommendation anyways.

For everyone else interested, this is the post containing the download link for now. But looks like it will be released on Modhub soon.
https://www.facebook.com/MichiganFarmin ... %2CO%2CP-R
Playing on PC - Win10
Ryzen 3600
RX 5500XT
16GB Ram
How to post log file
How to upload pictures
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

I’ve really not got much else. I keep really close track of this for a page I help with and you’ve basically listed every other NA 4x map I know of in existence for 22. Theres only one other I know that might fit the criteria but is only in development and that’s Luray Kansas but the creator hasn’t said anything about it in ages. The problem with North American maps being flat is a lot of the acres that are tilled are relatively boring and flat. A lot of the areas that aren’t are usually represented in standard sized maps for whatever reason. That’s what makes Elk Mountain is so special to me. It’s the first time someone took what would have usually been a standard map and spread it into a 4x. I would also agree there’s some forested areas but many open farmable areas in them that that can be tilled. You can pretty easily till up three times the original amount of land without taking very many trees. The only others I can think of would be here https://papasmurfmodding.us/index.php?/ ... made-maps/ there’s a few Australien and American maps and there’s one here https://itch.io/profile/bronkema but I can’t say I’ve tried any of them. I will find this up and post and share news if I hear of any going forward though.
Eische

Post by Eische »

Yes, Luray, Kansas looks really promising in the preview video. Thanks for mentioning it. I hope it will be released at some point.

I checked out Midwest View by Bronkema. Thanks for the link.
Well, it's not super flat, so this is good.
Looks like Bronkema added a ton of new features especially for animals which is amazing if it works as expected.
But to be very open, the map looks very...boring and sterile. The major decoration is just the same tree type placed over and over. No bushes, no weeds/flowers. Just grass with a few flowers and trees. Not sure if it is supposed to be finished, but in this state it's a no for me.

But for everyone more interested in better detailed animals than in the maps visuals, give it a go!
Playing on PC - Win10
Ryzen 3600
RX 5500XT
16GB Ram
How to post log file
How to upload pictures
Eische

Post by Eische »

Alright. I finally decided to settle down on Westby 4x.
I will adjust the map first to better fit my needs, but so far it looks like there are only minor tweeks needed.

I also decided to make the gold creation buildings from Elk Mountain into seperate mods to use on other maps, so I can dig for some gold in Westby :mrgreen:

Thank you all for suggestions. Keep 'em coming!
It might help other interested players and will increase visibility of non-Modhub maps.
Playing on PC - Win10
Ryzen 3600
RX 5500XT
16GB Ram
How to post log file
How to upload pictures
sablerock

Post by sablerock »

These is an African Savanna map 16x in the works.
Fit your need perfectly.
Plus, unique feature WILD ANIMALS running around
Miketeg

Post by Miketeg »

I really really enjoy ELK Mountain Wyoming

Tons of possibility, unlevel terrain.

Just have a look to some review, you'll see how aweome this map is.
Has been dairy farmer - From Quebec, Canada
French is my first language, please excuse my English :-)
Shockrift

Post by Shockrift »

I'm going to necro this post just to comment on morris manitoba. That map has a lot of problems under the hood that are fixable if you modify the map (which I did heavily). Biggest issue I had with it overall was the starting grain depots in the town have these really small sheds that just don't play well with tippers. Spring Creek ND is a really good one as well but has an outdated custom shader that causes all decals to flicker near the starting farm but has some very interesting nonstandard sections in the northern section.

You might be interested in Angel Mountain (oldman102, a 16x), Westend (levis modding, 64x) or luowandunda (16x mining map which I probably spelled wrong). The first and 3rd are mining maps and westend is an oddity in that it has an insane amount of custom productions. Where all 3 fail is that they attempt to compensate in one way or another with uneven terrain in a small portion of the map (relative to their overall sizes). Large scale farming is almost always found on large flat "american" maps such as huron county.

I'm not nitpicking on any of them (having played at minimum 50+ hours on each), but probably the easiest way to find a nonstandard map is find a huge start from scratch logging map with a mountainous expanse and work your way up to it. If not you could always try western wilds (which is a 16x). Good luck.