How to create a new crop type

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
Derri

How to create a new crop type

Post by Derri »

Unsure if this has already been asked, I’ve had a good look and can’t find anything about it. I’m trying to create a new crop type to add to a map. Does anyone know of any tutorial videos on this subject. I’m a really rubbish learner from a book but do very good when I actually watch how things are done.

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be really appreciated 😊
JDMFarms

Re: How to create a new crop type

Post by JDMFarms »

Unless they changed it, you have to register it with a lua file. I havent done it since FS17.
Derri

Post by Derri »

JDMFarms wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:04 pm Unless they changed it, you have to register it with a lua file. I havent done it since FS17.
Thanks I’ll have a look see if I can find a file or two maybe I can work it out if not too hard 🫣😂
cburgess

Post by cburgess »

Derri wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:39 pm Unsure if this has already been asked, I’ve had a good look and can’t find anything about it. I’m trying to create a new crop type to add to a map. Does anyone know of any tutorial videos on this subject. I’m a really rubbish learner from a book but do very good when I actually watch how things are done.

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be really appreciated 😊
I have found a long video of about 2 hours in length but is full of missteps that consume a lot of time while you watch the author retrace steps and make corrections, but the final product is good. Since I've mildly criticized the author (the author should clean up the video and only show the correct steps and repost), I won't mention their name or link. The XML edits can be a little tedious but relatively do-able. I will be re-using crop visuals already in-game or offered by other modders. Alfalfa looks like grass, so does Rye and clover. For the visuals, using in-Game data is the simplest way to go - otherwise the mod can have issues with directory calls in the XML.

Since everyone has a different mix of learning styles, I personally prefer concise text followed by video for best results.