Why do my default rock ground textures look like this? SOLVED

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
dougw133

Why do my default rock ground textures look like this? SOLVED

Post by dougw133 »

On my converted map from Fs19, my rock textures from FS22 default ground textures look terrible. They're repeating and ugly. Verified the all gmd's and weight files are sized appropriately.

Last edited by dougw133 on Thu Jun 15, 2023 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
dougw133

Re: Why do my default rock ground textures look like this?

Post by dougw133 »

No one? It's on a 4x map I am working on. Never had this happen. Comparing many other maps i cannot find a single difference in the groundType mapping parameters, weight files, anything. However, the texture appears to be painting at twice the resolution if that makes sense, so it looks tiled and terrible.
Eische

Post by Eische »

I'm not the expert in modding, just know the stuff I need to tinker with mods/maps and fitting them to my needs.
As far as I understand the ground textures, there are 4 versions for each texture type. So for your rock there will be rock01, rock02, rock03, rock04 for example.
They will all look similar to each other. So in your picture it looks like only rock01 is shown for example.

The map you converted most likely had a combinedlayer painted. Those are combinations of different textures mixed together to get a more natural, non-repeating look.
There should be a gound texture called combinedlayer rock which should consist of all 4 rock subtextures combined.
I guess you need to re-paint those areas using the combined layers.

If there are no combined layers in your converted map, you can simply create them by editing your i3d file using a text editor. Just use a basegame map for reference. Once created, save the file and open it in GE. Combined layers should show up in the terrain layer paint tool drop down.

Might be the conversion process messed it up. Never have done a map conversion, so I have no experience.
Playing on PC - Win10
Ryzen 3600
RX 5500XT
16GB Ram
How to post log file
How to upload pictures
Please report bugs for FS22 using the bugtracker
LS-Lara

Post by LS-Lara »

GDM is at 8192x8192 and weights are at 4096x4096 for a 4x ?

Did you adapt anything on the layer parameters in the map.i3d ? LS19 had 512x512 textures for ground layers, now it is 1024x1024. IDK if there is a different setup necessary to accomodate this change. Can you post a ground layer part of your i3d to compare ?
Der Sinn des Lebens ist:
29.61%

Mein Traktor:
Base:
HP Pavilion 690-03xx
Core i7-8700 @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
2x Benq GL2450H
Windows 10 Home 64bit
Custom:
2 x 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 C16 XMP 2.0
Samsung NVMe M.2 970 EVO Plus 500GB
Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
Logitech G203 Prodigy
Logitech Wireless F710
dougw133

Post by dougw133 »

Correct. Checked gdm and png's sizes are correct. I am using a combined layer. All parameters look correct to me.

Code: Select all

<CombinedLayer name="ROCK_DARK" layers="mountainRockDark01;mountainRockDark02;mountainRockDark03;mountainRockDark04" noiseFrequency="2"/>
It's using the default textures called from the base game. Nothing concerted or run locally. Appreciate the thoughts.
dougw133

Post by dougw133 »

Solved:

Was the unit size in the terrain layer manager. Could have sworn I tried this before but perhaps it didn't apply.