Random stutters, CPU based

kiki443

Random stutters, CPU based

Post by kiki443 »

Hello

I have a problem with FS22, it started happening recentlly, first it was arround forests (with a lot of trees), but everywhere else it was somewhat fine, but now every few seconds the game starts stuttering severlly, no matter where I am on the map, even if it's just a plain field.

I used MSI Afterburner's OSD to try and see what is happening exactlly with my PC when a stutter happens, normally the game would run at 50-60 FPS, 40 if there are a lot of vehicles on the screen.

But frame time seems to be all over the place, even at stable 60 FPS, the frame time will go arround 16.6ms on average but will jump inside a range from 9 to 32ms, when the stutter happens however, the frame time is 120ms, FPS is 9.

Other aspects, and namelly why I give this topic a tittle "CPU based" is because during my observation I saw, what appears to be the cause of the stutter, the problem is, it's seeminglly random, and I have no idea how to address this.
Anyway, when the game runs normally, my overall CPU utilization is arround 13%, it's actually always around 13% overall, however when I activated the OSD to show me 'per-core' utilization, Cores 2/6/8 are about 40-60%, with core 2 occasionally hitting 80%, the rest of them are arround 0-10%.
But as the stutter happens, all the cores (except Core 6) would go down to 0, and Core 6 goes straight to 100%, as if all the proccessing job is just thrown at Core 6 (so the other cores would be like: Okay, pass all that work to Core 6, and we go to take a nap), it lasts for a few secounds than it goes back to normall.
RAM is about 8,9 GB (out of 14 GB)
VRAM (which is technically cut out of system memory): 1,8 GB, all the time
GPU: normally it's jumping arround 90%, sometimes, it goes down to 50%, when stuttering occures, however, the GPU goes down all the way to 20% (probablly because it's waiting for CPU to do it's job, and since all but one core took a "temporary vacation" it takes much more time for that)

Here are the specs of my system:
CPU/GPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G (using iGPU with UMA forced memory allocation for VRAM=2 GB) - GPU is OCed at 2200 Mhz CPU all-core at 4.1 Ghz, everything stable
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 2x8 running at: 3400 Mhz (2 GB substracted for VRAM, so effective system RAM is 14 GB)
MBO: Gigabyte B450M S2H
PSU: Corsair CX 550 Gold
Monitor: just some generic TV 1080p
CPU Cooling: Wraith Spire, a bigger coller than what is included with 5600G, no sign of overheating, temps are arround 65-70C
Drivers: all up-to-date

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you

EDIT: I just noticed another wierd thing:
I went to sleep at my house, and during that cloud animation, the stutter occured again, same thing with utilization, but this time FPS was 6 and frame time was 150ms, and all that for a cloud animation wierd...
banzaiman

Re: Random stutters, CPU based

Post by banzaiman »

Do these symptoms happen in other games or just FS22? You could try taking the OC off and see if you get the same results
kiki443

Post by kiki443 »

banzaiman wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:29 pm Do these symptoms happen in other games or just FS22? You could try taking the OC off and see if you get the same results
I will try removing the OC, as for the other games, I haven't seen similar issues.
But other games are older too.
Eganwp

Post by Eganwp »

Your OC is too high. This is normal stutter behaviour when I push GPU’s too hard on the memory speed I believe. Turn it down 10% and it’ll work fine again.