Petition for rain/ground moisture to effect yield

Would you like ground moisture to influence yield?

YES
18%
YES, WITH THE OPTION TO TURN IT OFF
69%
NO
12%

Total votes: 49

Plattelandseun

Petition for rain/ground moisture to effect yield

Post by Plattelandseun »

Hi all :search:

I played Fs 19 for 1299hrs, Currently I'm on 1257hrs on Fs 22.
My question is: How difficult will it be for Giants to add another factor to influence yield? Ground moisture!! Rain will affect the moisture in the field and off course impact potential yields. I mean, we now have a nice working pivot on ModHub. Just give it the ability to spray water instead of fertilizer and herbicide. I also understand that not all players may like the idea to loose a crop when there is no rain, so give the ability in settings to turn it on or off.

PLEASE Giants, for the die hard realism players... :hmm:

Cheers
Noraf

Re: Petition for rain/ground moisture to effect yield

Post by Noraf »

But harvesting in the rain does decrease the yield now?
:hi:

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Just remember, if the world didn't su.., we'd all fall of...
mountainboomer

Post by mountainboomer »

I guess lots of people like to be penalized in life. Explain how this makes the game better? To me this would require map makers to modify the weather variables or mod makers to create more sprinkler systems, adding yet another step in the process of farming.

How far are we taking it. Too muddy to drive in the fields or plant or droughts where most everything dies or has little yield? The rain has to hit at the exact right time of growing, where do you draw the line?

Random RNG has never been something most game players enjoy.

Not for me. I think Giants time would be better spent elsewhere.

If they were to do this, there better be a way to turn it off.
Ashtooth

Post by Ashtooth »

mountainboomer wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:54 pm I guess lots of people like to be penalized in life. Explain how this makes the game better? To me this would require map makers to modify the weather variables or mod makers to create more sprinkler systems, adding yet another step in the process of farming.

How far are we taking it. Too muddy to drive in the fields or plant or droughts where most everything dies or has little yield? The rain has to hit at the exact right time of growing, where do you draw the line?

"Explain how this makes the game better?". Similar way as multiple fertilizer, lime, weeds, plowing, stones.
I would have preferred irrigation over deer randomly appearing.
I agree there should be an on/off switch.
Disclaimer:
This name has been brought to you by the creative geniuses of the generic brand name....lizard.
Ashtooth

Post by Ashtooth »

Noraf wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:57 pm But harvesting in the rain does decrease the yield now?
He's clearly taking about moisture for growth.
Disclaimer:
This name has been brought to you by the creative geniuses of the generic brand name....lizard.
Plattelandseun

Post by Plattelandseun »

Look I know its not for everyone. Then just switch it off, same as for plowing or stones. There are some of us who like the realism part of a simulator. So make it more real for players like me. If you do not like it, then do not use it...
Newholme_Farm

Post by Newholme_Farm »

OK, this is just my own point of view, but as an ex farmer who has (on many occasions) been driven to tears by weather ruining crops, the one thing that I truly enjoy is a simulator that takes away the negative aspects of real farming and allows me to enjoy what I love doing.

In real life, I watched my grandfather struggle, I watched my father struggle and I watched myself struggle to the point where I got out. The last thing I want is a game that recreates all of that misery. 90% of people wouldn't play the game if they knew how hard farming really is, so why add more realism when this is supposed to be escapism?

I fully endorse anything that adds realism to do with field, soil, plant textures, or where the gameplay is enhanced but I do not want constant rain to ruin my crops, nor do I want a realism mod where my potatoes get wiped out by blight, or the pigeons eat my Oilseed Rape, or the bank foreclose on me without notice, or my wife leaves me becaue of my moods, or where there's a suicide option, etc...

:hmm:
Plattelandseun

Post by Plattelandseun »

As a farmer myself I fully agree with you. Just a 10% yield loss due to no rain or a 10% bonus the other way...
Then using a pivot would actually be worthwhile.
Newholme_Farm

Post by Newholme_Farm »

Plattelandseun wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:56 pm As a farmer myself I fully agree with you. Just a 10% yield loss due to no rain or a 10% bonus the other way...
I get where you are coming from, but the development time to make it work would not enhance the game enough to justify it in my view.
Newholme_Farm

Post by Newholme_Farm »

Newholme_Farm wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:03 pm
Plattelandseun wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:56 pm As a farmer myself I fully agree with you. Just a 10% yield loss due to no rain or a 10% bonus the other way...
I get where you are coming from, but the development time to make it work would not enhance the game enough to justify it in my view.
Just to add a sub note to this topic, I think that realism mod development should focus on giving the game player additional benefits that they can control, rather than random events like weather, that harm the farm yet they have no control.

For example, straw: There are different types of straw in real life and they have different uses. Barley and Oat straw are used as feed, whereas Wheat straw is for bedding. In the game, it's all classed as "Straw". You could have a 5% increase in milk yield for adding Oat straw to your TMR so that it teaches good animal husbandry techniques rather than penalising for not.

Any changes need to encourage realism for better results rather than discouraging players who will soon get fed up of being knocked back for not knowing the correct methods. It's a game, we don't need to recreate an exact farm experience or people will switch off. :)
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

That’s why giants should stick to their on off functionality. People who want a realistic simulator have the option and those that don’t can pick and choose the functions they want to play. That way we don’t end up with more half hearted realism features.
FenlandFarmer

Post by FenlandFarmer »

JillAnnoyedFarmer wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:02 pm
mountainboomer wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:54 pm I guess lots of people like to be penalized in life. Explain how this makes the game better? To me this would require map makers to modify the weather variables or mod makers to create more sprinkler systems, adding yet another step in the process of farming.

"Explain how this makes the game better?". Similar way as multiple fertilizer, lime, weeds, plowing, stones.
It would make the game better because you'd have to think about which crops you grow. Which can stand a bit of drought? Which flourish in wet years? The years that you don't drill as much in autumn and put it off to spring, which can work out if you have a plan.

That's my happenthworth.
Newholme_Farm

Post by Newholme_Farm »

FenlandFarmer wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:42 pm

It would make the game better because you'd have to think about which crops you grow. Which can stand a bit of drought? Which flourish in wet years? The years that you don't drill as much in autumn and put it off to spring, which can work out if you have a plan.

That's my happenthworth.
I agree, but we can't expect everyone who plays FS to know how to farm in real life, so the game has to be simplified or it becomes discouraging. Having to understand crop rotations based on soil moisture levels and weather patterns is interesting if you're into agronomy but it's not exactly fun for the average gameplayer :)

Imagine that you have no idea about farming, nothing, and you get into the game only to find that your crops fail because of a wetter than usual spring? We have enough to deal with in real life, let's not make it harder by adding unnecessary stuff to a game.

What we have is a situation where there are people who know a lot about the game, but very little about farming IRL, and then those who are farmers/ex farmers who know a lot about agriculture but not much about the game. It has to work for both or it becomes elitist where you need to study agronomy to play it....
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

I like this idea. Maybe using too many tractors will create too much exhaust (carbon) and thus effect the climate which changes the amount of rain you get. Like maybe if you don't use DEF fluid you will get less rain as well.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
Ashtooth

Post by Ashtooth »

Newholme_Farm wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:14 pm
FenlandFarmer wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2023 2:42 pm

That's my happenthworth.
I agree, but we can't expect everyone who plays FS to know how to farm in real life, so the game has to be simplified or it becomes discouraging. Having to understand crop rotations based on soil moisture levels and weather patterns is interesting if you're into agronomy but it's not exactly fun for the average gameplayer :)

Imagine that you have no idea about farming, nothing, and you get into the game only to find that your crops fail because of a wetter than usual spring? We have enough to deal with in real life, let's not make it harder by adding unnecessary stuff to a game.

What we have is a situation where there are people who know a lot about the game, but very little about farming IRL, and then those who are farmers/ex farmers who know a lot about agriculture but not much about the game. It has to work for both or it becomes elitist where you need to study agronomy to play it....
Hence the on/off option, just like plowing, weeds, lime, fertilizer, stones, crop destruction.
Disclaimer: