Can anyone help a modder?

BazTheHat

Can anyone help a modder?

Post by BazTheHat »

Hi,

I recently made the mod Rain Pain, which is single-player only. I want to make it multiplayer compatible, but don't know enough about how Lua and FS 22 work in multiplayer games.

Is there a friendly programmer who could give me a hand in figuring out what I need to do?
UncleRico

Re: Can anyone help a modder?

Post by UncleRico »

There’s actually a modders helping modders section here viewforum.php?f=1008
It’s kind of buried but it gets frequented by some prominent fs modders who might be able to help you out
BazTheHat

Post by BazTheHat »

UncleRico wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:53 pm There’s actually a modders helping modders section here viewforum.php?f=1008
It’s kind of buried but it gets frequented by some prominent fs modders who might be able to help you out
That would be ideal, but for some reason I'm not allowed to post topics on that forum.

I've also tried the Giants Development Network forum, which is particularly for modders, but no one replies on there.
Jason06

Post by Jason06 »

At first I recommend to study other mod scripts, to understand how they synchronize data between server and client.
There are mainly three ways to transport data between server and client:
  • By synchronization while a client joins the MP-game (onReadStream, onWriteStream)
  • by continuous synchronization while the game is running (onReadUpdateStream, onWriteUpdateStream)
  • or by events.
The first way is almost always used because it initializes the client's data. To synchronize the data in the running game, the second or the third way is used, or both, depending on the type of script.
aka Glowin / Glowins Modschmiede
MacBook 16'' 2019 (2,4 GHz Intel i9), Nimbus+ Controller, Realismus-Fan und Hobby-Scripter
BazTheHat

Post by BazTheHat »

Jason06 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:20 am At first I recommend to study other mod scripts, to understand how they synchronize data between server and client.
There are mainly three ways to transport data between server and client:
  • By synchronization while a client joins the MP-game (onReadStream, onWriteStream)
  • by continuous synchronization while the game is running (onReadUpdateStream, onWriteUpdateStream)
  • or by events.
The first way is almost always used because it initializes the client's data. To synchronize the data in the running game, the second or the third way is used, or both, depending on the type of script.
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this. I fear it's making me have more questions!

Do you know of any resource where I can read more about it? I'm very much a hobbyist programmer - I'd not even heard of Lua until I started making Rain Pain - so it's all very new to me.
Jason06

Post by Jason06 »

I've also learned it by this way, as I'm a hobby programmer, too. My advantage is that I am old enough to be used to procedural languages as Pascal.
Maybe it makes sense, to have a look into my DashboardLive mod, where I only sync motor temperature, air pressure and fuel consumption between server and client. It's always the same principle.
aka Glowin / Glowins Modschmiede
MacBook 16'' 2019 (2,4 GHz Intel i9), Nimbus+ Controller, Realismus-Fan und Hobby-Scripter
BazTheHat

Post by BazTheHat »

Jason06 wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:39 pm I've also learned it by this way, as I'm a hobby programmer, too. My advantage is that I am old enough to be used to procedural languages as Pascal.
Maybe it makes sense, to have a look into my DashboardLive mod, where I only sync motor temperature, air pressure and fuel consumption between server and client. It's always the same principle.
Ooh, I've got Dashboard somewhere. Will definitely dig around that, thank you!
loki_79

Post by loki_79 »

Message me on Discord and I'll help where I can: loki_79
BazTheHat

Post by BazTheHat »

loki_79 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:18 pm Message me on Discord and I'll help where I can: loki_79
Thanks! Have just sent you a friend request on there.