Potato harvesting.

Rodney5052

Potato harvesting.

Post by Rodney5052 »

Hi. Does anyone else think that we need a option of a potato harvester with a wider pickup. I’m not talking about the huge grimme that costs an arm and a leg I think we need a tractor pulled tool that does bigger than 1.5m. The last harvest I did I used the grimme pack windrow tool and them picked them up off the ground. Was ok but again too small. I’m not talking about an unrealistic width but there has too be a reasonable 2 or 3m choice to make it a bit easier / quicker. I’m on console before anyone suggests that i make a mod myself. I would have a go if I had a pc but I don’t.
Massey44

Re: Potato harvesting.

Post by Massey44 »

Yes definitely. The Grimme self-propelled harvesters are both too expensive even when leasing. Both have poor capacity, the Varitron's is laughable considering the yield from potatoes and without Courseplay the hired worker will typically stop after a single row. They also steer horribly. I use the Spudnik windrower which has 4.5m working width but that's only on PC and even though theres a better version of it I'm pretty sure you have to sign up to one of those privatefacebook modding groups to get it. Sadly that doesn't help you so the Colossus root harvester is proabably the best console option at present and you can choose less cheaty options when buying it. Potato harvesting does feel kind of neglected by the devs because there aren't many options.
Tommy93

Post by Tommy93 »

Massey44 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:46 pm Potato harvesting does feel kind of neglected by the devs because there aren't many options.
I don't think IRL there aren't bigger options (correct me if I'm wrong) and if there is one, they still need to make sure they have a license to make it.

The Lizard Colossus Harvester pack is the only bigger option I believe, it got a potato header of 13ft and unrealistic capacities.

https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2022
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

Spudnik which is the American version of Grimme has 6 row harvesters (I believe in game is 2) The also make 8 row windrowers which dig potatoes and dump them on the middle 6 rows. Where the harvester picks them all up. The Grimme pack mod has smaller windrowers and a harvester that can dig and pick up windrows if anyone is looking. The larger spudnik harvester and windrower is available on pc if anyone is looking I can direct you. This is a pic of how that looks Image
If your interested in the real thing you can find videos from spudnik online
faruk9154

Post by faruk9154 »

UncleRico wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:54 am Spudnik which is the American version of Grimme has 6 row harvesters (I believe in game is 2) The also make 8 row windrowers which dig potatoes and dump them on the middle 6 rows. Where the harvester picks them all up. The Grimme pack mod has smaller windrowers and a harvester that can dig and pick up windrows if anyone is looking. The larger spudnik harvester and windrower is available on pc if anyone is looking I can direct you. This is a pic of how that looks Image
If your interested in the real thing you can find videos from spudnik online
Where can I find this mod?
:hi: :!: Simulation of the King :!: :hi:
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

faruk9154 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:59 am
Where can I find this mod?
https://m.facebook.com/people/Arrowhead ... 013338833/
Scroll down to February 1st, sorry Facebook is being dumb and I can’t link an individual post directly. It works well with courseplay and auto drive. The only hang ups are starting the windrowers you have to manually crtl I to dump before starting the course. Also auto drive gets goofy if you get over 80% full so I edited the capacity of the harvester to be larger to avoid that. The thing fills up fast with those windrows so you need some free board. I chose to edit that because if you empty faster and run out the truck stops. This way I was able to get it to work with semis and everything. As far as setting up the windrowers I just increased the width until it fit right then offset courseplay for them individually so they ran in tandem. Then I ran the harvester because it makes me happy haha.

Edit- Sorry just realized I shared the link for the box not the harvester pack https://m.facebook.com/people/Drosty-AG ... 265023875/
This link scroll down to January 19th of this year (sorry I would only post the link but I’m a believer in the modder deserving credit) the link for the spud lifter and windrowers can be found my bad, I’ll leave the spudnik box up incase anyone wants it!
Last edited by UncleRico on Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rodney5052

Post by Rodney5052 »

Just went onto Spudnik website and the equipment they have is exactly what I’m after. Especially the 6 row windrows. Looking at Uk equip though we seem to be stuck with 1.5m. I guess the USA do it on a bigger scale than us and cater for it. Oh well I guess I’ll have to stick to a 1.5m machine until I can afford a self propelled one. The Collosus is an awesome bit of kit and I’ve used it before but I feel it just makes it a bit too easy. Thanks for the info 👍🏻
snekko

Post by snekko »

Tommy93

Post by Tommy93 »

OP isn't on PC..
NewHollandLegend

Post by NewHollandLegend »

Never really got into potato harvesting on console for that reason, but may give it a try again. 😂
wheelmansteve

Post by wheelmansteve »

There was a Farmhand Mike video out recently with this exact setup- trailed 6-row harvester dropping into the path of a self-propelled one, with the SP unit picking everything up. It was interesting to see...
Old fat guy with a day job...
AgriJock

Post by AgriJock »

Rodney5052 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 3:34 am Just went onto Spudnik website and the equipment they have is exactly what I’m after. Especially the 6 row windrows. Looking at Uk equip though we seem to be stuck with 1.5m. I guess the USA do it on a bigger scale than us and cater for it. Oh well I guess I’ll have to stick to a 1.5m machine until I can afford a self propelled one. The Collosus is an awesome bit of kit and I’ve used it before but I feel it just makes it a bit too easy. Thanks for the info 👍🏻
With respect to uk equipment - our crop yields are much higher, (tonnes per hectare) that’s why our equipment is different. Your typical potato digger setup in the USA is wider but they are picking up less potatoes. If we ran diggers and windrowers like that in the uk the main central harvester would be choked after about 10 meters.

People don’t appreciate crop yields when looking at US equipment vs European. Typically European yields of wheat, barley, oats, OSR etc are roughly double that of the US, so the harvesting equipment has to process double the amount.
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

AgriJock wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:30 am
With respect to uk equipment - our crop yields are much higher, (tonnes per hectare) that’s why our equipment is different. Your typical potato digger setup in the USA is wider but they are picking up less potatoes. If we ran diggers and windrowers like that in the uk the main central harvester would be choked after about 10 meters.

People don’t appreciate crop yields when looking at US equipment vs European. Typically European yields of wheat, barley, oats, OSR etc are roughly double that of the US, so the harvesting equipment has to process double the amount.
I suggest you check out a few videos of how the stuff works… Also I’d love to hear your averages for comparison.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Your statement isn't exactly true. Wheat for example uk average was 8.4 ton/ ha that's about 125 bu/ac. Take 8.4 multiply by 14.87. https://ipad.fas.usda.gov/countrysummar ... crop=Wheat.
Us only did 44 but that is skewed because of the western and northern states. I did 130 bu/ac and I know his that did 150 bu/ac. Arizona did the best overall at 117. Now that isn't double. Also the bigger the header the more matter you are bringing in. A 60 ft header doing only 44 will bring in more matter than a 15 ft header doing 125. Now potatoes data is harder to find. Here are two articles for the uk:
https://www.potatopro.com/united-kingdo ... statistics
https://www.fwi.co.uk/arable/potatoes/p ... ts-to-come
The first one only goes to 2013 and said uk did 40 tonnes per hectare. The second is a quote saying they will do about 44 tonnes per hectare. Total production is 4.8 million tonnes.
Now us total production is 392.24 million cwt, which is 21965440 tons which is 19926711.975 tonnes. Now that is more than quadruple the production of the uk. https://www.statista.com/statistics/192 ... ince-2000/
Let's break it down more, from Cornell on the usda the us did on average 444 cwt. That's about 24.864 tons/ac which is 55.73 tonnes/ha.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 7N-IfnP180
That's more than the uk. Therefore, your statement is inaccurate. We have bigger equipment because we have more land. Also the uk fields are smaller and roads are narrower.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
AgriJock

Post by AgriJock »

Not everything is a competition guys. It’s just data. Your own data actually.

https://apps.fas.usda.gov/psdonline/cir ... uction.pdf