Potato harvesting.

Guil

Re: Potato harvesting.

Post by Guil »

Illinois Farmer wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:13 pm Your statement isn't exactly true. Wheat for example uk average was 8.4 ton/ ha that's about 125 bu/ac. Take 8.4 multiply by 14.87. https://ipad.fas.usda.gov/countrysummar ... crop=Wheat.
Us only did 44 but that is skewed because of the western and northern states. I did 130 bu/ac and I know his that did 150 bu/ac. Arizona did the best overall at 117. Now that isn't double. Also the bigger the header the more matter you are bringing in. A 60 ft header doing only 44 will bring in more matter than a 15 ft header doing 125. Now potatoes data is harder to find. Here are two articles for the uk:
https://www.potatopro.com/united-kingdo ... statistics
https://www.fwi.co.uk/arable/potatoes/p ... ts-to-come
The first one only goes to 2013 and said uk did 40 tonnes per hectare. The second is a quote saying they will do about 44 tonnes per hectare. Total production is 4.8 million tonnes.
Now us total production is 392.24 million cwt, which is 21965440 tons which is 19926711.975 tonnes. Now that is more than quadruple the production of the uk. https://www.statista.com/statistics/192 ... ince-2000/
Let's break it down more, from Cornell on the usda the us did on average 444 cwt. That's about 24.864 tons/ac which is 55.73 tonnes/ha.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 7N-IfnP180
That's more than the uk. Therefore, your statement is inaccurate. We have bigger equipment because we have more land. Also the uk fields are smaller and roads are narrower.
How can you use the average on one hand and they disregard it on the other :lol:
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

Guil wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:31 am
How can you use the average on one hand and they disregard it on the other :lol:
The point we were attempting to make was we have individual areas that well exceed the average yield per acre that was stated. Our average as a country goes down the same way theirs would if they had to include a country like Norway or Sweden. The sheer size and climate area skew the numbers. It would be like saying a sports team that’s played 20 games and never lost is better than one that played 1000 and lost 10 because of the average wins. You can’t use that numbers like that as a reason why big equipment can’t harvest big yields and little equipment can. I’m not sure how much reading you did on the thread but to sum it up the argument was about potatoes and how we couldn’t harvest potatoes like they get in the uk with our big equipment which according to the United Nations the US averaged about 10 more tons per acre.
Guil

Post by Guil »

I read it all afterwards but I thought the consensus was that the data on potatoes was not easily available or something?
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

Guil wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:08 pm I read it all afterwards but I thought the consensus was that the data on potatoes was not easily available or something?
Here’s a fun little interactive map that’s made off the United Nations data. You can click country and get their tons per hectare it’s quite interesting
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/potato-yields
Guil

Post by Guil »

How accurate is that? Fun stats if you look at wheat
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

Guil wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:11 pm How accurate is that? Fun stats if you look at wheat
If you follow there sources it’s the United Nations and Cambridge university and you can check it. I guess it depends on how you feel about those organizations. I guess I trust them.
FenlandFarmer

Post by FenlandFarmer »

Guil wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:11 pm How accurate is that? Fun stats if you look at wheat
i see what you mean .
unless theres no data for the usa?
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

FenlandFarmer wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:53 am
i see what you mean .
The northern plains of the United States grows a huge amount of wheat and other small grains but with the climate we have a pretty short growing season. It’s like end of April beginning of May to end of August through September depending on temps and moisture. To give you an idea it was about -20F last night my diesel pickup actually gelled up on my way home haha. The coldest I’ve personally ever saw was -50F. Then, which maybe someone from the area can explain better, further south I believe they plant a similar variety of wheat and do what they call double cropping. So the wheat goes in during fall sits dormant over winter and finishes in spring and is harvested in May. Then soybeans are planted and harvest in the fall. So there’s reasons, and I think you’d find the demand for soybeans is a part of it and so is our varying climate.
rryybass

Post by rryybass »

Hi Spudnik and Grimme are the same company, and have made new machines which look awesome in real life, I wish a modder would take a look at them, and could maybe make them for FS22, I would even pay for the privilege of using them
eric21

Post by eric21 »

I think payment isn't a major factor here, it could take months for a mod that you want appears on modhub or even years. Modders take thier time
jasonbarron

Post by jasonbarron »

UncleRico wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:18 pm
FenlandFarmer wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:53 am
i see what you mean .
The northern plains of the United States grows a huge amount of wheat and other small grains but with the climate we have a pretty short growing season. It’s like end of April beginning of May to end of August through September depending on temps and moisture. To give you an idea it was about -20F last night my diesel pickup actually gelled up on my way home haha. The coldest I’ve personally ever saw was -50F. Then, which maybe someone from the area can explain better, further south I believe they plant a similar variety of wheat and do what they call double cropping. So the wheat goes in during fall sits dormant over winter and finishes in spring and is harvested in May. Then soybeans are planted and harvest in the fall. So there’s reasons, and I think you’d find the demand for soybeans is a part of it and so is our varying climate.
Dang, that sounds pretty cold. Hope you made it home safely. I lived in northern MT for 25 years and just recently moved to southern Missouri and can attest that winter is a whole lot easier here than it is in the northern regions.

Edit: typo
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

jasonbarron wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:42 pm
Dang, that sounds pretty cold. Hope you made it home safely. I lived in northern MT for 25 years and just recently moved to southern Missouri and can attest that winter is a whole lot easier here than it is in the northern regions.

Edit: typo
Pretty sure Montana holds the record in the continental US for cold so you probably had it worse haha. The one thing that I will say about the cold that I like is it keeps our creepy crawlies down to an acceptable size
mydixiewrecked

Post by mydixiewrecked »

Every time I think about upper plains winters I think of Fargo the movie. At least when it's winter, it's winter. I'm so sick of this we cold, Nope, we soggy nonsense. Just be freezing until spring for cripe sake lol