Drawing Roads

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
Farmer-Giles

Drawing Roads

Post by Farmer-Giles »

Hi All Im new to mapmaking on fs22 and ill probably be back here quite a lot to as for help.
My question is when marking out where you want roads/tracks to go what is the best brush size to use?
TheSuBBie

Re: Drawing Roads

Post by TheSuBBie »

I think that most people use a spline to mark out their roads and then use the Paint terrain by spline script to paint the roadway, the same spline can be also be used for flattening the terrain along the proposed roadway.

Further info and tutorial available here
https://farmerboysmodding.com/index.php ... tutorials/

You can also use the basic Paint Terrain By spline script in GE Scripts -Terrain - Paint by Spline.
To use this script you will have to know the layer number of the the terrain texture you want to use.
Luckily Stegei has written a short script that will print all the Layers along with their corresponding numbers in the GE console log
Copy paste the following code into Notepad++ and save as Terrain Layers.lua

Once saved copy/paste the script into the following folder
C:\Users\Your Computer Name\AppData\Local\GIANTS Editor 64bit 9.0.4\scripts

Code: Select all

-- Author:Stegei
-- Name:TerrainLayers
-- Description: Prints list of terrain texture layers for Paint Terrain by spline
-- Icon:
-- Hide: no

local worldRoot = getRootNode()
local file = getSceneFilename()
print(string.format("%s",file))
local map = getChildAt(worldRoot,0)
local mTerrainID = getChild(map, "terrain")
local numLayers = getTerrainNumOfLayers(mTerrainID)
for i =0,numLayers-1 do
textureName = getTerrainLayerName(mTerrainID, i)
print(string.format("Texture No :%d:Texture Name : %s", i, textureName))
end

Open your map in GE and selecte Scripts- Terrain Layers , this will execute the script and a list of the textures and numbers will appear in the GE console log.
Tiredasagiraffe

Re: Drawing Roads

Post by Tiredasagiraffe »

Farmer-Giles wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:03 pm Hi All Im new to mapmaking on fs22 and ill probably be back here quite a lot to as for help.
My question is when marking out where you want roads/tracks to go what is the best brush size to use?
Your brush size is a radius measured in metres. So a brush size of 1.5 will leave you with a total brush size of 3 metres wide.
3 metres would make a lane wide enough for one medium/large size tractor to comfortably travel along.

But for long sections of painting and levelling of track laying out a spline to paint and level from is a real time saver.