Water textures

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
Farmer-Giles

Water textures

Post by Farmer-Giles »

Iv been following along with tge tutorial videos trying to implement it into a blank map before I try my own map problem is iv followed the tutorial for making a pond / lake but when I come to put the texture to it there doesn't seem to be any water textures so im at a bit of a loss unless things have changed in fs22 from the fs19 tutorial videos.?
Tiredasagiraffe

Re: Water textures

Post by Tiredasagiraffe »

Water planes only use a normal map texture and has the ocean shader applied to it.
So for Elmcreek that normal map is found in your game files in: data/maps/mapUS/textures/water_normal.png

If you check out some of the water planes in Elmcreek you'll see how they're done.
Shywizard has a Youtube tutorial on creating water planes for fs22. It's for a 4x map but is still applicable.
Farmer-Giles

Post by Farmer-Giles »

When I load the Elm Creek map into editor and then navigate to documents/ my fs22 mods/ mod_map_us/map/mapUs/data there are no water textures in there.

I follow the tutorial video but in there under material editing they click on normal map and in next window navigate modmap/ textures and water_normal.dds
But I don't have this so my question is has it all changed in fs22 from fs19?
strauts6

Post by strauts6 »

Farming Simulator 22\data\maps\textures\shared and here \Farming Simulator 22\data\maps\mapUS\textures
Tiredasagiraffe

The process is essentially the same between Fs19 and FS22. Both will use a normal file in conjunction with the ocean shader applied.
The file locations will differ slightly.

You need to look in the game installation files for the water_normal file and not your mod map folder.
To save on file size a mod map will reference your in games installation texture files in a lot of cases.

For convenience I would create a mod map from game as reference and save it on your desktop. Delete nothing from it. And refer back to it when unsure of file locations etc.
Farmer-Giles

Post by Farmer-Giles »

I'm sorry but I don't have a folder with textures, or any water texture even though I load the Elm Creek map into GE and then delete all roads, trees and everything else I have no textures only the usual ones for grass, concrete to riverbed but nothing to make a pond or lake.
I play FS22 through steam if that's any help.
But maybe it's time to give up as nothing seems to work as per the tutorial videos.
Tiredasagiraffe

Like I said before you need to look in your game installation files:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Farming Simulator 22\data\maps\mapUS\textures\water_normal.dds

And I would really recommend watching the Shywizard Youtube tutorial on how to create water planes. It tells you everything you need to know.
Farmer-Giles

Post by Farmer-Giles »

Thankyou for all your help and patience..
Tiredasagiraffe

*thumbsup* :hi: