First Harvest

jasonbarron

First Harvest

Post by jasonbarron »

I'm on New Farmer Mode, PF and Seasons enabled. I have 78 acres planted with barley and according to the Field Info box when I walk around in my various fields it looks like I can expect the maximum yield come harvest. My question relates to what I do with the first harvest of fields I've planted and improved myself. After field prep and planting everything I have about 100k in savings left over and am projecting another 150k or more in contracts before the next harvest season, plus I'll have somewhere around another 200k that comes in from harevsting my starter fields plus a field that I bought right off.

In town there's a grain mill and bakery that I will technically be able to purchase. Do I:
A--buy the mill, grind all of my barley and sell the flour
B--buy the mill and bakery and bake/sell bread
C--forget about messing with production and simply sell the grain straight up and start getting ready for year two?

My only preference is making the most money starting out to get myself off the ground more quickly.
UncleRico

Re: First Harvest

Post by UncleRico »

D- buy more land. But I hate productions.
chedly_farms

Post by chedly_farms »

I don't do productions. So the only way I know to make money fast, is loans for more land. The more land, the more crops you can sell. Fertilize, Fertilize, Fertilize. Don't miss the steps. Rolling might only be a small percentage added, but 2% of a million liters is $20-30k. Same with plowing, lime, weeds, mulching. It all adds up.

I'm currently on a rags to riches attempt on Alma. I'm hoping some long hours and hard work, can get me some cows to produce milk to pay for all my dreams! lol. I have only a fraction of the equipment I need. Zero cows, I don't want to take a loan, and I have 20k to spend and 2 HUGE wheat fields to harvest and get me going.
Currently Playing on XBoxOne : Elm Creek

-----> And "Thank You Modders" for your contributions <----
jasonbarron

Post by jasonbarron »

Thanks for the advice, guys. I'm on Alma, too, and money is very tight. Planning on doing every contract I can get my hands on to ***. Hopefully the fields I planted, and yes, did my best to follow all the steps as I undersand them, will set me up for financial success going into year 2.

Edit: not sure what happened with the asterisks there, apparently the forum didn't like my word choice
Last edited by jasonbarron on Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
mydixiewrecked

Post by mydixiewrecked »

Same as the 2 previous responses. I focus on growing while bouncing off my credit limit multiple times. Why do I only have 6 cows right now? Because the bank cut me off lol. I may do dried corn on Alma if that's considered Productions?
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

I would say after Richard commented above me that I do dabble in what I would consider farm productions like dried corn or a stand silo that produces silage. I’m definitely not making cakes or flour or anything of that nature though.
mydixiewrecked

Post by mydixiewrecked »

Dag nab it, I'm being outed!
FBtheSQL

Post by FBtheSQL »

At least he didn't say little Richard.

For the record, I don't do productions either. I spend money on new equipment and fields until I'm at a happy place where gameplay on the map is repeating itself. Then it's off to a new farm.
Maybe I'll have a closer look at productions in the next version.
Last edited by FBtheSQL on Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guil

Post by Guil »

Rolling and mulching give 2.5% each. Imo for the time it takes and also the wear on equipment and fuel usage, it is not worth it to bother with either. Now if you only have a small bit of land and have nothing to do while waiting for harvest then it might be worth it just for something to do but you will lose money regardless.
mydixiewrecked

Post by mydixiewrecked »

FBtheSQL wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:29 am At least he didn't say little Richard.

Shhhhhh!!! Lol