Learning To Mod - Need Some Help

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
wiggersjoelt

Learning To Mod - Need Some Help

Post by wiggersjoelt »

Hello,

I've been slowly learning to mod for a little while now and I'm still in the very beginning stages. I''ve got a little programming experience but I'm no expert although I love learning programming and really want to learn to mod. Right now, I'm trying to convert a mod from FS19 to FS22 just for my own use, not to put out there for others to use. I'm trying to convert the New Holland 900 trailed forage harvester that's in FS19. I don't know if I started the right way or not, but I opened the mod with Giants Editor 9.0.4 and it updated it to that version. I went through the XML files and the i3d file in Notepad ++ and made a couple of very minor changes.

Then I ziped the files and placed it in my mods folder. The forage harvester shows up in the game and when I go into the shop and buy it, the colors are all messed up and its flashing different colors. If someone could just point me in the right direction I'd appreciate that allot. I"m not asking for someone to solve the problem as I want to learn on my own because that's the best way I learn. However, I don't know where to head in at. Is it a textures issue or something else. Is there something the matter with the model itself? Just want to be pointed in the right direction and I'll take it from there and learn all I can about it. I'm not in a rush, just trying to learn.

Any help would be so much appreciated.

Thanks,

Joel W
Illgib81

Re: Learning To Mod - Need Some Help

Post by Illgib81 »

The flashing textures it's probably the i3d file pointing to an old vehicle shader version, you should open the i3d with something like notepad+ and change to "$data/shaders/vehicleShader.xml", and check if the other folders are right.

The automatic way tend to break the mod since anything he doesn't recognize it's commented, it's better to manually change and fix following the game log warnings and errors.

There are many helpful video guide for conversion, i suggest to follow some.

By the way, zipping isn't mandatory, especially if you're testing, it only need to be zipped if you play online, or else you could even unzip any mod.