Bug with base game wheel rotation after last patch

farmer_bell

Bug with base game wheel rotation after last patch

Post by farmer_bell »

Hi all,

Before I go and raise a bug report with Giants, Has anyone else noticed that the wheels on vehicles and especially trailers seem to be rotating slow?
It looks like the trailer is getting dragged about rather than driving.

I am on PC. I have removed all mods. I renamed my mod folder and created a new empty mods folder for testing purposes to ensure it was not caused by a mod conflict.

I play the game from outside the cab and pretty much never use in cab view.
I noticed when driving with a trailer with small wheels that it looked like it was getting dragged along. When I slow down, the wheel speed is normal, but as you build up speed, it looks like the wheel gets to a certain speed, then will not rotate any faster.
I have also noticed on tractors that the tire treads no longer appear to become stationary or slowly rotate backwards as they should do at top speed. This is obviously more noticeable on the fasttracs etc.

I cannot see anything in the change log in regards to trailer wheels, so I am assuming it is a bug.
JensChrDK

Re: Bug with base game wheel rotation after last patch

Post by JensChrDK »

I read in another post that it was part of Giants way to optimize the graphics, so not a bug. Just really annoying to look at..
Been playing WAAAAY to many hours - PC with Logitech G27 and Thrustmaster Simtask Farmstick
don_apple

Post by don_apple »

Its an intended change, see viewtopic.php?p=1598458#p1598458
Gruß/Regards,
don_apple

Apple iMac 27" (2017), Quad-Core i7 4.2 GHz, 48GB, AMD Radeon R580 8GB
Bitte benutzt das öffentliche Forum für Supportfragen und nicht PN/Please use the public forum for support questions and not PM
FS22 Bugtracker
log.txt Image Server Forenregeln Board rules
farmer_bell

Post by farmer_bell »

Thank you both for the replies.

I am a bit embarrassed that I did not see the posts that don_apple linked to, but I am glad that others have seen this issue as well.
At least now I can stop bug searching.

I really hope that Giants either reverts this change or at least makes it an option to turn off.
Visually I find it totally horrible to look at, and now that I seen it, I cannot unsee it. On bigger trailers it is not too bad, but as soon as you have anything with smaller wheels, it becomes very noticeable.

I can only speak personally about this, and I am sure that my opinion on this will not matter to Giants, but I think it is a shame that they decided to take something that was not broken and worked correctly and weirdly break it, instead of fixing other things that do need fixing.

I own every version of the game from 2009 and every DLC and have never had to complain about the wheels turning..

It wont stop me playing the game, but it does quite severely damage my enjoyment of it, as I like using 3rd person view to see the machines working and driving and now all I can see is wheels that do not turn properly. :frown:
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

Probably no coincidence that this "improvement" wasn't mentioned in the patch notes....
Miketeg

Post by Miketeg »

That's an "improvement" by going down. Weird.
Has been dairy farmer - From Quebec, Canada
French is my first language, please excuse my English :-)
Earnest Pea

Post by Earnest Pea »

I've seen a few people complain about wheels spinning backwards, but I assumed Giants would ignore them.

As someone who grew up on a farm, I can say the wheels appearing to spin backwards actually happens. I remember riding hay wagons during baling and noting that as the tractor accelerated as we headed back with a load, the tractor tires would seem to stop spinning and then gradually start to spin backwards. Of course, this is the wagon wheel effect.

I really hope that Giants will undo this silly "fix" for a non existent problem. I can think of some actual problems which could use some attention.
KnowhutImean?
PC|XB1
loki_79

Post by loki_79 »

I find both annoying, but I think that the new one is arguably worse as it affects everything over a certain speed. I would prefer it if they just added gradually more blur to the wheel and hub textures at high speed.

With the old implementation it was worse with some wheels than others, and depended on the rotational speed vs the regular pattern on the wheel (hub and tyre). Certain hub and wheel combinations would appear to be rotating at different speeds, and sometimes even in different directions!

The cause of this effect in real life is interesting for sure. The tradidtional wagon-wheel effect is caused by framerate, but if you look at other cars as a passenger on the motorway you can see the effect at certain speeds. There is no strobing or restricted frame rate to explain it.. Probably something to do with our brain trying to make sense of a moving image, but as far as I am aware, there is no agreed cause. It is an agreed phenomenon though.
FBtheSQL

Post by FBtheSQL »

You can tell a game engine is really limited when they need to decrease the spin of wheels for performance.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

I've been looking out for this but haven't seen it yet. I do most of my driving in-cab so I see the wheels when looking back and apart from the usual "waggon-wheel" effect I've not seen the slow down.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
Guil

Post by Guil »

It's just the tread, the sidewall of the tyre still turns the correct speed. It's called the stroboscopic effect and Giants have commented on it over the years so it's strange to see them pander to some people who want make believe effects in game. It's horrible imo
mydixiewrecked

Post by mydixiewrecked »

The old way may have been slightly exaggerated but for the main developer to say "But in my opinion it's still better than making it look like the wheels are turning backwards" is......odd. Besides not understanding the effect, what was the performance gain?