Error: Can't read profile

littlefriend420

Error: Can't read profile

Post by littlefriend420 »

I am getting the "can't read profile" or "can't read profile path" error when trying to launch the game.

I have installed the latest version of the game purchased directly from the Giants website. I am running Windows 11 and my machine surpasses all of the recommended requirements for running the game.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling to my usual games folder (M:\_Games\Farming Simulator 2022) and to the default install location suggested by the installer (C:\Program Files (x86)\Farming Simulator 2022).

I've googled the issue and have made certain that the executable file has been allowed in my Windows Security Ransomware settings and through my firewall.

I've also tried turning off the Windows Security Ransomware settings altogether.

There is no My Games folder in C:\Users\[username]\Documents and manually creating one does not resolve the issue.

If anyone has any suggestions that doesn't involve doing any of the things I've already listed I would be super grateful.

TIA!
FenlandFarmer

Re: Error: Can't read profile

Post by FenlandFarmer »

have you done all the thngs youtube says to try ?
littlefriend420

Yeah. There are a bunch of videos that are all basically the same thing regarding the Windows Security ransomware settings.
Earnest Pea

Post by Earnest Pea »

Have you tried Giants customer support?
KnowhutImean?
PC|XB1
littlefriend420

Earnest Pea wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:19 pm Have you tried Giants customer support?
Not yet. I was hoping the community might have some answers before I went that route.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

It does look like a permissions issue -- something on your PC is stopping the FarmSim installer from finding your profile, which is essentially where your "documents" folder is, and so it can't create "My Games" and as it can't find that path, then even though you've made the folder it's not going to make any difference. This is probably why all the solutions are to do with turning off anti-virus, anti-malware and so on.

If that is the case then you've really got very few options:

1. Turn off anything that looks like anti virus and see if that helps,

2. Try running the installer as Administrator -- if you can

3. Start with some file-system monitoring tools -- I personally like the SysInternals Procmon (https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysin ... ds/procmon) -- and find out what is actually happening rather than guessing.

I'm assuming that you tried posting the same issue here?
viewforum.php?f=964

Other than that, GIANTS support is probably your best bet.

Good luck.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads