unrealistic or realistic farming

Helazak

Re: unrealistic or realistic farming

Post by Helazak »

I am one of the older players pushing close to 60 and I like a farm manager style of play. I don't really care how long it takes to work a field as long as the helper can do it before it withers without me having to fix him constantly. I do use unrealistic mods but only if I can justiy them replacing realism that I can't get the game to do properly.
Example.
Goal: If I could get courseplay and autodrive to work together properly I should be able to get a helper to harvest the field and dump into a trailer, and another helper to take that trailer and go from loading point to the sell point. (Still working on that, havnt gotten the hang of it quite yet.)
Game hack 1: Use harvesters and trailers with unrealistic capacity so I dont have to be bothered with manually moving grain very often.
Game hack 2: put a mobile selling station in the back of the trailer so the harvester dumps directly into the sell station.

Using the Mobile sell station is kind of like turning my crop over to the buyer at the field and letting them move the product to their facility.

Why would I want to do that? What am I doing while they are harvesting? Well I own the entier map, have every crop planted and have everything turned on (hard, seasons, lime, weeds, stones, Precision Farming, etc) Since there is no helper that can cut trees, I do use some unrealistic Forestry mods to "leverage the bosses time on site", and then there is manageing the production facilites. I have my hands full, I don't need to babysit stupid helpers.

Am I playing a realistic game. I think so.
If I want to play hands on I go mulitplayer and work a server with no mods.
FS22 on PC, FS14, FS16, FS20 on iPhone Not a gamer. Most gamer jargon goes over my head.
Started playing for the education about farming.

Amateur (noob) Farmer 5 mostly forested acres
Tractor: Kubota M4900 (54HP), w/ Loader bucket and forks
Attachments: log splitter, Chipper/shredder, finish mower, scrape blade, rock rake, double moldboard plow, rototiller, Garden Bedder
humbe

Re: unrealistic or realistic farming

Post by humbe »

If the game was 100% realistic, I may need a 3 year education to know enough about how to play, and I'd have to quit my job in order to be able to play through a year in game within a year of real time. I don't think anyone want that.

But while I do want a simplified experience, I still want it to feel fairly realistic. On the other hand, I'm not a farmer, so I don't really know what realistic is. Is it realistic to harvest a given crop at 12 kph or 20 kph, or would 4 kph be more realistic? Hell if I know. I'm guessing 20 kph is above realistic, but as long as it feels realistic to me I'm totally fine with it.

I'm all for fixing obviously fake functionality, but functionality like Precision Farming I didn't know was a thing before I saw it in FS22, and I don't personally see a reason to add the complexity. I'm not so sure I'm a fan of the stones added in FS22 either. Ridding the fields for stone is terribly time consuming, so the feature has basically just limited what equipment I can use to avoid medium and large stones showing up, so I can get away with rolling, which at least have a decent working width.

Many of my favorite mods are mods adding realism though. ContractorMod so we can hitch a ride and control multiple persons instead of teleporting, various mods to make driving and using tools with cab view more doable, mods that make choices of tires actually matter and so forth.

I typically play on hard to make it a bit harder to earn money, but that's still not realistic.. But then I do want it to be easier to grow the farm bigger than it is in real life.

But that's so great about this game with all the mods.. There's a lot of options to fit different needs.