Map: Mars the Mission

Helazak

Map: Mars the Mission

Post by Helazak »

I just started playing the Mars map and I am loving it. Very impressed with the imagination and wanted to start this thread as a thank you for the outstanding work done by FarmerBob.

How are you playing it?
What Mods are you using?
Are you limiting yourself to the theme? What rules have you set for yourself to keep with the theme?

What are you doing? What is your approach?
Are there any assumptons you have made that guide your decisions?
Do you have an "Oh I wish it had..." list?

Please no trolling. There are other threads for that. This is for appreciation, sharing techniques and constructive ideas.
FS22 on PC, FS14, FS16, FS20 on iPhone Not a gamer. Most gamer jargon goes over my head.
Started playing for the education about farming.

Amateur (noob) Farmer 5 mostly forested acres
Tractor: Kubota M4900 (54HP), w/ Loader bucket and forks
Attachments: log splitter, Chipper/shredder, finish mower, scrape blade, rock rake, double moldboard plow, rototiller, Garden Bedder
Helazak

Re: Map: Mars the Mission

Post by Helazak »

My assumptions. Someone had to make this crater and biodome. The cranes are still here. The construction equipment must also be here. Thus I feel comfortable using the free landscaping mod. There is lots of dirt to move to make more fields. I started by deleting all the fields and flattening the entire map. Then made new fields utilizing all the extra space. I completely removed all the dirt and flattened the mezanine area as far as the wall would let me so I have fields all around the ring. I dont know how many I started with but I have now plowed 150ha.

I felt in keeping with the theme it would make sense to stay electric as much as possible so I have installed all mods with electric vehicles. Am trying to stay with them as much as possible to reduce emissions within the dome.

Year 1
August:
Spent the day setting up the crater floor fields and creating a highway system for Autodrive. Since we start in August there are not a lot of planting options so I planted the entire floor with grass. Can get a cut in before switching to something else. Leased a harvester had cashed in the field of trees, turned it into a field and planted Canola. Which made me think about oxygen reclamation plant. Is cutting the forest going to effect the amount of oxygen in the air? Is there a relationship between the amount of active chlorophyl in the dome and the cost of the oxygen plant keep us breathing????

September:
Fertilizer is expensive so dont have the money to fertilize and lime all the new fields yet. Want to get all the necessary crops planted to support animals to get the fertilizer costs down. Did plant Wheat and Barley.
Curious that buying something at the store doesnt take a month for it to show up.

October:
Got 50 bales of hay and 500 bales of silage out of the grass I planted. Sold off all the production facilities. Currently have 700k in loans but should solve that when December comes around to sell the silage. Got a cutting done before my american elms got to their first growth stage.

November:
Got another 400 silage bales wrapped. Still improving the autodrive highway system. Finding new creative places to make new fields. Turned one useless rock pile into a butte so I can work on top of it. I love doing that over useless decorations to create useful space. Hmmm, I wonder if I can terraform over an animal dome and could create a field over it? Have to experiment with that.

December: Lime and fertilizer costs are eating my lunch. Very surprised at how bad the ground got after one grass cut.

Things I havn't figured out yet.
- What to do with all the bolders. (Terraform over them)
- How to get outside the dome. I can teraform outside but havn't figured out how to walk outside. (Evidently you can’t but you can sell the outside land. You own it. $9m.)

Will update this post with new lessons.
Last edited by Helazak on Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
FS22 on PC, FS14, FS16, FS20 on iPhone Not a gamer. Most gamer jargon goes over my head.

Attachments: log splitter, Chipper/shredder, finish mower, scrape blade, rock rake, double moldboard plow, rototiller, Garden Bedder
jimbleborg

Post by jimbleborg »

This map has caught my imagination and I am planning on starting during the Easter break.
My take on the scenario is that the dome is for the growing of plants that will produce oxygen from the carbon dioxide that the main constituent of the Martian atmosphere. At the same time the chosen vegetation would be used as a food supply and the trees building materials.
The rules I have set myself are:
All electric equipment only and I am resigned to using mods of normally aspirated vehicles for the most part but keeping them a small as practical and modern looking.
Supplies from Earth can only arrive every 26 months to tie in when the 2 planets are closest. So, I will need to work out what equipment I’ll need until then. I will also need have enough consumables until I can produce my own.
My shopping list must be ready 10 months before each spacecraft arrives. Due to the 7-month journey time between the planets when they are at their closest and time to prepare the spaceship.
Small amounts of consumables can be obtained from other domes using the shuttles seen arriving in the dome.
The atmosphere in the main dome is carbon dioxide rich with enough oxygen in it to allow workers to survive and get to one of the smaller domes in an emergency. The smaller domes and vehicle cabins will have an atmosphere more Earth like atmosphere. Therefore, strict airlock protocols will be observed.
Ploughing, stones, and lime are on as although there probably isn’t any limestone on Mars similar minerals have been found on the surface. Weeds are turned off as the seeds have been carefully treated before being shipped from Earth. I am toying with the idea of switching them on at a random point in the future to simulate a contamination.
Still thinking about how to approach animals; do a Noah, two of each or ten at most. Do I start with them from the first month or wait until the first supply from Earth 2 years later, when I have a supply of food for them?
Another conundrum is what time setting should I use? The Martian year is roughly 2 Earth years, and the days are about the same as well. So do I go with 2 day months to represent the Martian year or do I have 1 day months so the crops grow at the same rate as on Earth. The premise being the domes are controlled environment and the seasons won’t matter; I’ll be playing with seasons switched off. (I’ve never done that in FS before.)
Boots

Post by Boots »

Helazak

Post by Helazak »

1. That is amazing. I never thought about selling it. I wanted to work it.
2. That kind of takes all the challenge out of it.

Did you figure out what to do with all the bolders?
The bales near the store. Can you do anything with them or are they just decoration?

Boots

Post by Boots »

The bolders are decoration only - you can drive through them
The bales near the store are decoration only - you can't do anything with them

The bees are a bit of a disaster - you have a steady job picking up the honey and you can't get on with other jobs
so I tend to just forget about the honey

You can't work the outer part of the map, that's why I sold it
You have enough working the lower and upper level of the map
Helazak

Post by Helazak »

Boots wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:34 pm The bees are a bit of a disaster - you have a steady job picking up the honey and you can't get on with other jobs
so I tend to just forget about the honey
I have a bee solution for you.
Additional Pallet Storage by GH66MODS
https://www.farming-simulator.com/mod.p ... tle=fs2022

You place the loading zone markers around the spawn point and any honey made goes directly into a production storage silo. Then on the productions menu you can sellect store, distribute or sell.

Boots

Post by Boots »

Boots

Post by Boots »

Mars The Mission
Welcome to the Mars Colony Commander,
This map is all about survival, so put your man pants on and lets get started!

Features:
- 1 Farmland.
- 15 Fields.
- 3 Factories
- 1 Sellpoint

- Only New Farmer mode supported in the map, the others are irrelevant.

- Use the Export To Earth Port to sell your products and fruit to Earth and the
Colony Food Storage for storing your fruit for the Colony.

- To win the game you need to terraform Mars atmosphere in 20 Years.
To achieve this you have to -
plant 10000 trees,
have 20 Large Bee hives,
160 Cows,
720 Chicken,
195 Sheep,
540 Pigs and
800 000 Liters each of any 6 Crops in your Storage Bins.

There is no word about having to make money - so just as well to sell the outer area and have a lot of money
so you can buy all the equipment and supplies you need to complete the mission

If you have to have 800 000 Liters of each crop of your choice in storage - it's not about making money
Boots

Post by Boots »

Just as a footnote -
Do you think FarmerBOB would give me planning permission to build a Hotel and some holiday homes and a colf course with a swimming pool
just to get some tax free pocket money.

This is a great map and a lot of fun away from the normal farming maps

thanks FarmerBOB for coming up with this - it is a lot of fun
Helazak

Post by Helazak »

I would be more intested in balancing the complexity of the facility. Example: People live in this dome. They need food and oxygen. Either we import it at a cost from earth or the farmers take the job. I am interested in meeting the need of the facility and fighting the cost of consumable goods (importing, reclimateing o2) vs renewable (growing). I would expect a constant fight against the budget to balance it all. This would make selling the outside necessary to have the funds to pay for all the importing while setting up shop.

Still, great map.

FBtheSQL

Post by FBtheSQL »

Helazak wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:58 pm I would be more intested in balancing the complexity of the facility. Example: People live in this dome. They need food and oxygen. Either we import it at a cost from earth or the farmers take the job. I am interested in meeting the need of the facility and fighting the cost of consumable goods (importing, reclimateing o2) vs renewable (growing). I would expect a constant fight against the budget to balance it all. This would make selling the outside necessary to have the funds to pay for all the importing while setting up shop.

Still, great map.
Sounds like you'd like the game Surviving Mars. It has randomly generated maps, and has pretty much all the balancing and complexities you're talking about.
Helazak

Post by Helazak »

Made a cute little mistake. I had sold the house and built one on top of a mountain to use the space as a field. Then when I was pushing the wall back to make more farmable land I deleted the mountain my house was on. The fence I had installed at the cliff edge fell into the field below but the house hovered in the air. I could teleport up to it but couldn’t press fast enough to sleep before falling. It was fun to see the old converted school bus in mid air. Couldn't delete it. Had to rebuild a dirt walkway out to it before I could delete it. Kept me entertained for a good while.

Helazak

Post by Helazak »

Ok you convinced me I need to turn off Seasons. We are living inside a greenhouse, which is climate controlled. I was originally thinking the temp would adjust with the season so the energy consumption would be less, but it is snowing inside my greenhouse, which makes no sense so I am turning off seasons.

Boots

Post by Boots »

I don't use seasons and I have snow switched off but when it started to rain I thaught strange ?
Then I came to the conclusion that when they built the dome they had installed a sprinkler system
so that the crops could be wattered every now and again.
If you got snow - it might be that the temp. control had been switched off for maintenance

Re tree planting I had a thaught, as I had prepared the ground so I could get the hired worker to plant
the trees.
I set 2 hired workers off planting and I nipped back to earth to do some shopping ( I went away to do other things and left the game running)
I came back (after 5 hours) the game was still running and the hired workers had planted 2,831 plants. (I have 5,225 trees planted so far)
Hope this does not count as cheeting ?

By the way I did not get planning permission for my Hotel and holiday homes.