NEW GIANT ENGINE

MOOUSE

NEW GIANT ENGINE

Post by MOOUSE »

GIANTS!!! You have been running on the same engine since 2012 :shock: . We (maybe just me) are asking YOU to elaborate on that question that similarly kept swept under the rug. :biggrin2: any plans in the future hopefully! :hi:
Guil

Re: NEW GIANT ENGINE

Post by Guil »

It's not the same Engine
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

MOOUSE wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 9:25 am GIANTS!!! You have been running on the same engine since 2012 :shock: . We (maybe just me) are asking YOU to elaborate on that question that similarly kept swept under the rug. :biggrin2: any plans in the future hopefully! :hi:
This still holds true -- in fact, as software becomes more and more complex, even truer today than when he wrote it:
https://www.joelonsoftware.com/2000/04/ ... do-part-i/
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
FBtheSQL

Post by FBtheSQL »

To me it's pretty clear that Giants is happy with their model, and likely won't change anything.
Why build a Ferrari when you can build a Jalopy and sell it for the price of a Ferrari.
Us lifers keep paying for it and making excuses for it.

This topic is a dead horse at this point, and it's best to prepare with a big bowl of popcorn.
Noraf

Post by Noraf »

As Guil said, it's not the same engine.
It would be like calling every unreal engine the same...
And while I mention unreal engine, no, it can't run fs.
The developers have explained why, and why they still keep to their own engine.
I don't remember if it was just on this forum, or if it was a topic covered during a farmcon, pretty sure we didn't get a detailed explanation in the podcasts, but the topic was briefly covered during one of the live q/a sessions they had
:hi:

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Just remember, if the world didn't su.., we'd all fall of...
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

FBtheSQL wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:09 pm To me it's pretty clear that Giants is happy with their model, and likely won't change anything.
Why build a Ferrari when you can build a Jalopy and sell it for the price of a Ferrari.

This topic is a dead horse at this point, and it's best to prepare with a big bowl of popcorn.
I was wondering who you are.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
FBtheSQL

Post by FBtheSQL »

blue_painted wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:20 pm
FBtheSQL wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 1:09 pm To me it's pretty clear that Giants is happy with their model, and likely won't change anything.

I was wondering who you are.
I was wondering if you were wondering.
Gormett

Post by Gormett »

Noraf wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:58 pm And while I mention unreal engine, no, it can't run fs.
Lol. Idk, but I haven't noticed any different game mechanics compared to FS, not even the render circle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGK1uAz54qg
FBtheSQL

Post by FBtheSQL »

Gormett wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:18 pm
Noraf wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 4:58 pm And while I mention unreal engine, no, it can't run fs.
Lol. Idk, but I haven't noticed any different game mechanics compared to FS, not even the render circle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGK1uAz54qg
You're wasting your time. People lap up and repeat what they're told by the devs here, despite the other games that refute it.
PF18 was done with Unity, Ranch Simulator was done with Unreal.
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

FBtheSQL wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:46 pm
You're wasting your time. People lap up and repeat what they're told by the devs here, despite the other games that refute it.
Pf18? Do you mean cattle and crops? If so that was pretty much a knock off with some bells and whistles to try to sell it as better than the fs series. Ranch simulator has more in common with an RPG than a modern farming simulation game. I don’t love some of the stuff Giants does but there hasn’t been a game that’s even come close. No one ever said those other engines wouldn’t work. What they said is they would have to make so many changes to make it do what they want they’d be basically back to where they’re at. So it would be just a huge waste of resources and time.
FBtheSQL

Post by FBtheSQL »

UncleRico wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 1:39 am
FBtheSQL wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:46 pm
Pf18? Do you mean cattle and crops? If so that was pretty much a knock off with some bells and whistles to try to sell it as better than the fs series. Ranch simulator has more in common with an RPG than a modern farming simulation game. I don’t love some of the stuff Giants does but there hasn’t been a game that’s even come close. No one ever said those other engines wouldn’t work. What they said is they would have to make so many changes to make it do what they want they’d be basically back to where they’re at. So it would be just a huge waste of resources and time.
PF18 = Pure Farming 2018, was done with Unity. It didn't go far due to the lack of mod support and licensed brands, but otherwise it does what FS does. Minus the mod support, the first iteration of PF18 was as evolved as the the current iteration of FS. My guess is that it was because they started with an engine that had all the heavy lifting built in, and didn't have to write most of the code.
If PF18 had continued development and had 8 iterations under its belt I think it would dethrone FS.

Noraf said "And while I mention unreal engine, no, it can't run fs." it gets tense around here when somebody provides info that refutes the claim.
I understand they'd have to rewrite some of their code, and I'm not saying they should.
IMO Giants is lucky that farming is a niche genre.
Noraf

Post by Noraf »

Well, not being a game developer I can only take what the actual developers say.
And they have said that the unreal engine can't do what they need the engine to do.

And, as clearly, and unfortunately, have been shown, noone else manages to do what Giants have done.

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

FBtheSQL

Post by FBtheSQL »

Noraf wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:43 am Well, not being a game developer I can only take what the actual developers say.
And they have said that the unreal engine can't do what they need the engine to do.

And, as clearly, and unfortunately, have been shown, noone else manages to do what Giants have done.
Unless you can think of something else, the only thing Giants does that PF18 failed at is mod support, which isn't dependent on the engine.
Noraf

Post by Noraf »

Yes, survive as a game series.
And that is kind of a big thing...

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

FBtheSQL

Post by FBtheSQL »

When the dodging starts, the conversation becomes pointless. *thumbsup*