NEW GIANT ENGINE

Eische

Re: NEW GIANT ENGINE

Post by Eische »

Not played PF18 myself, but in the videos I watched, maps seem to be much smaller compared to FS standard maps and they appear to be static. No field extension/merging possible, buildings seem to have predefined positions.
Might be that they never found the money/time to implement those capabilities. Might as well be a limitation of the supposedly better game engine. Who knows.

All we know is that all competitors failed for various reasons. And as already mentioned by others:
Just because a certain game engine is able to show off really nice games does not mean it can deliver the same for a full featured farming game out of the box. As long as there is not even a tech demo (Unity or Unreal Engine) available on a small map showing ALL FS features working with same or improved performance, demanding new game engine for FS is pointless.

It's easy to demand "Giants needs to do ..." without knowing if it will work or even be possible with reasonable amount of work and benefit.
I'm sure Giants had a closer look to other engines as well in the past. Because maintaining/evolving your own engine is also not cheap/easy.
Playing on PC - Win10
Ryzen 3600
RX 5500XT
16GB Ram
How to post log file
How to upload pictures
Please report bugs for FS22 using the bugtracker
FBtheSQL

Post by FBtheSQL »

Yes it is easy to demand something. It's a good thing we're all above that and nobody is demanding anything.
mydixiewrecked

Post by mydixiewrecked »

*clears throat, Un crumples paper with list of demands, raises hand to speak*
humbe

Post by humbe »

Just wanted to chime in. If you've got criticism it helps to be on point and specific. The original post just reads as slander to me.

Giants implemented their own, new graphics engine for FS22, so the engine is brand new. And it's a ton of work to create your own graphics engine, so I'm pretty sure Giants didn't embark on that lightly. Many possible FS22 improvements might have had to wait due to all the work of creating a new engine. This was probably a choice for the long run, and not one just for FS22 (as it is a large undertaking). I don't remember the reasoning they stated for existing engines to not be good enough, but FS22 isn't a first person shooter, so what they need to do differs quite a bit. They reasoned they could do it much better with an engine that fit what it was used for.

When new installments will come out, the engine will probably be iterated on and further fine-tuned. One can argue whether making their own engine was the correct choice or not. They run the risk of the generic engines to catch up to FS scenarios due to having much more dev resources. But they have gambled on their own engine performing better than generic ones for FS22 scenarios, and while that is true, it makes no sense to not keep using it and iterating on it to further improve it now that they have already invested in it.

Personally, I think FS22 is a very nice gfx update after FS19. Only really noticeable thing I can remember is that some field states looks sad when crossing the circles where you see the field in high quality, and the ones you see at higher ranges where you for performance reasons can't use as high quality, such that you see a clear circular border where the field change. But that wasn't any better in FS19 at least. I feel it has improved, though would be great if it could improve even more. Just supporting more field states, so the low quality parts matched the colors of the high quality parts would be great.
FBtheSQL

Post by FBtheSQL »

I seem to recall somebody claiming the graphic engine was new for 22, and Giants correcting them by saying it was just an update.
I couldn't find the post, but I also couldn't find anything stating the graphics engine was anything other than an update by adding some new features.
Hopefully in their next attempt they can solve some pop in and the get rid of the tiny bubble around the player.
FenlandFarmer

Post by FenlandFarmer »

this again ? some one show me a farming game thats better than farm sim with All its faults and i dont mean those phonegames were you harvest crops by cliking them !!
FBtheSQL

Post by FBtheSQL »

yer sentence implies those "phonegames were you harvest crops by cliking them" are better than FS ..
Ive mentioned games before that where as god but All the responses where in disagreement . and noon of them where phonegames were you harvest crops by cliking them ..
people ar gonna to like what they like and ta believe what they believe ..
FenlandFarmer

Post by FenlandFarmer »

FBtheSQL wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:24 pm yer sentence implies those "phonegames were you harvest crops by cliking them" are better than FS ..
Ive mentioned games before that where as god but All the responses where in disagreement . and noon of them where phonegames were you harvest crops by cliking them ..
your dislexic to or your just takng the pi**?
FBtheSQL

Post by FBtheSQL »

FenlandFarmer wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:35 pm
FBtheSQL wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:24 pm yer sentence implies those "phonegames were you harvest crops by cliking them" are better than FS ..
your dislexic to or your just takng the pi**?
I was replying in kind. It was pretty difficult, and I had to make several edits.
Apparently it was too subtle.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

FBtheSQL wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:40 pm I seem to recall somebody claiming the graphic engine was new for 22, and Giants correcting them by saying it was just an update.
I couldn't find the post, but I also couldn't find anything stating the graphics engine was anything other than an update by adding some new features.
Hopefully in their next attempt they can solve some pop in and the get rid of the tiny bubble around the player.
I would prefer evolution to revolution, especially in software.
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
FBtheSQL

Post by FBtheSQL »

blue_painted wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:03 pm
FBtheSQL wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:40 pm I seem to recall somebody claiming the graphic engine was new for 22, and Giants correcting them by saying it was just an update.
I would prefer evolution to revolution, especially in software.
So would they it seems. In the end it's their software, and they should do what they want. Some of us are just very opinionated, even though it's really none of our business.