Value of a garage

Helazak

Value of a garage

Post by Helazak »

IRL when I park my equipment outside, it decays much faster than in a enclosure. Rain(Rust), Sun (plasic & rubber decay and paint damage.)

Other than cosmetics (and because that is what your supposed to do) I can see no game value in building a garage to put my equipment in. At least I can't tell if there is a difference in vehicle damage.

It is cumbersome to park everything, now I have walls and supports to hit instead of just an open field.

Am I missing something? I assume not.

What would you suggest as a game benefit for parking equipment in a garage/enclosure?
FS22 on PC, FS14, FS16, FS20 on iPhone Not a gamer. Most gamer jargon goes over my head.
Started playing for the education about farming.

Amateur (noob) Farmer 5 mostly forested acres
Tractor: Kubota M4900 (54HP), w/ Loader bucket and forks
Attachments: log splitter, Chipper/shredder, finish mower, scrape blade, rock rake, double moldboard plow, rototiller, Garden Bedder
UncleRico

Re: Value of a garage

Post by UncleRico »

Nothing, the paint wear system is such a mess I wouldn’t really want to see them pile another system on top of it that causes more frustration
Helazak

Post by Helazak »

Rather than messing with the damage formulas I was thinking the garage automatically refreshed your vehicles. Clean, repair, paint, gas, seed, fert, silage fluid, but you have to spend time like 1% per minute. Cleaning repair and paint could be free. Gas, fert, and other products could be at the cheapest yearly rate or a discount which would approximate doing an annual buy at the off season.
FS22 on PC, FS14, FS16, FS20 on iPhone Not a gamer. Most gamer jargon goes over my head.

Attachments: log splitter, Chipper/shredder, finish mower, scrape blade, rock rake, double moldboard plow, rototiller, Garden Bedder
FBtheSQL

Post by FBtheSQL »

A garage is added for looks and nothing else. Any improved functionality is a pipe dream given the length of the queue.
Noraf

Post by Noraf »

Parking inside of a building stops the vehicle and equipment from being rendered unless you got a line of sight to it.
So it might improve performance a bit
:hi:

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Just remember, if the world didn't su.., we'd all fall of...
FBtheSQL

Post by FBtheSQL »

Noraf wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:45 am Parking inside of a building stops the vehicle and equipment from being rendered unless you got a line of sight to it.
So it might improve performance a bit
I don't mean to keep disagreeing with you, but I have approached my farm before and seen equipment before the garage it was in popped in around it.
Noraf

Post by Noraf »

Modded building?
And, I don't mind disagreement, as long as it's factual, like this.
:hi:

FS22 Bug-tracker
How to post your log
Giants Discord
Posting pictures How-to

Just remember, if the world didn't su.., we'd all fall of...
UncleRico

Post by UncleRico »

Helazak wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:20 am Rather than messing with the damage formulas I was thinking the garage automatically refreshed your vehicles. Clean, repair, paint, gas, seed, fert, silage fluid, but you have to spend time like 1% per minute. Cleaning repair and paint could be free. Gas, fert, and other products could be at the cheapest yearly rate or a discount which would approximate doing an annual buy at the off season.
See to me the problem with that is you’re making the game less realistic. You can already put pallets or other forms of all the things you’ve listed inside a shed manually. That accomplishes everything you’ve listed in a much more realistic way. As far as wearing paint and repairing goes, I don’t care for it.t they did a poor job giving you a way to balance it if you put more than ten hours on a tractor. It’s always the same problem, some players work four acre fields with a quad track and a 100 foot drill so they won’t ever notice any of the wearing systems so they complain. Then other players that play more close to real have to paint their tractors every time they work one field. They should just steer clear of it entirely. Especially anything to do with a shed considering the only thing it really affects is tires and paint fade otherwise most equipment will sit outside for a very long time without any issues.
humbe

Post by humbe »

I wouldn't mind if vehicles got worn out a bit by being stored outside, which didn't happen inside, but then they'd have to rework how wear and tear works to balance it out. They might want to work on wear and tear, but there's so much else to work on, that I don't see indoor storage advantages as something likely to ever happen, unless a modder bites on it.

I did some calculations on wear and tear, and I can't say I'm overly thrilled with it. Unless there is some unspoken factor, that driving a tractor 1 km in game, should equal 100 km in real life, wear and tear just seems to happen way too fast, and the cost is linearly scaled with purchase price, so you pay much less if you buy a used vehicle than if you buy a new one, as the price you buy a used vehicle for is then the price the costs scale from. Also, you can get large gains, by buying a vehicle barebones first, and then customize it with a bigger engine and everything you want, as the customizations doesn't add to the base price maintenance costs are based from.

I'm guessing they scaled maintenance cost, so the cost per year should fit cost per year in real life, but not accounting for real life operations taking a lot more time than in game operations, that leaves you with very fast wear and tear, especially for people that try to play more realistic.

I have no idea how often farmers repaint their vehicles, but I'd wager a guess on very seldom. Repainting after every field work sounds like an outrageous expense and not realistic at all to me. But at least paint has no in game effect so I can ignore it.

Add to that, the cost of repairing scales exponentially with time, so to keep maintenance cheap, you should repair your vehicles as often as possible. If you have large fields, you could earn a lot of money, by repairing your stuff many times while working the same field. Repair costs shouldn't scale more than linearly until you hit some point of noticeable wear, so you didn't have an incentive to repair all the time.

Another thing, is driving in rocky fields.. Which only hurts paint. There's no added maintenance cost.

And to finish it of, you wear the tractor out as much sitting in it idle with the engine on, as you're doing plowing up a field with the engine using every horse in it. The only thing that matters is seconds the engine have been on. Whatever it has been used for doesn't matter at all. Same goes for implement. A cultivator takes as much damage hanging in the air behind a tractor that has its engine running, as it does actually cultivating.

All in all, I'd say the wear and tear system has much bigger issues to fix than garage effects ;)
Last edited by humbe on Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Helazak

Post by Helazak »

I agree wear and tear is a mess. Which is why I avoided messing with it for this topic. I want a reason to put my stuff in the garage.
They could implement a single variable for each piece of equipment representing the hours outside in addition to the hours in use. In use would obviously cause more wear, but being outside at all could have a damage factor. But the current damage is enough that having a repair benefit made more sense.

Currently I am playing the Mars Mission and am trying to use electric vehicles. I have placed electric recharge stations at the perimiter of the garage so I can park the vehicle and charge it. That is what got me thinking about the benefits of a garage and how to simulate the benefits of a garage without messing with the damage system. I was thinking of all the other things I keep in the garage. Gas, fluids, seed; it made sense to top off the vehicle while it is parked inside.