How profitable are cows?

pigpen

Re: How profitable are cows?

Post by pigpen »

If a person is looking to get rich quick stay away from cows. If you have made a fortune and want to add another element to your game then cows are good. Just farming land can get boring. If you factor in the price of a cow pen and what it costs to place it along with the cows and equipment to feed them it will take a very long time to get your money back on them.
Alienware PC.
Beastbubba

Post by Beastbubba »

Land, cows, enclosure, tractor, mowers, tedders, windrower, baler.... it would take forever just to break even doing nothing but cows. They are producing no where near the ammount they should for the timescale of the game. With seasons on 3 day season they might be about right at current lvls... but with at most 3days from sow to harvest they are way off....

As for manure, please... unless you have hundreds of cows you will not get enough to fertalize more than a tiny field every other harvest or so...
PC gamer.
Crazof

Post by Crazof »

The price for Slurry and manure at the bga would make you not want to spread it in the fields
RazorTal0n

Post by RazorTal0n »

I started out with silage and now i working in pigs chickens wnd horses slowly going to work in logging and then large scale corps. I started the game on start grom scratch an remaining on hard mode started out on x30 so o was constantly working. Now i expanding with more an more i bring the time down to x15 which giving me time to do nearly everything an still make it fun. Tho noted you don't get much slurry to do large fields. Looking forwardto doing cows soon even tho they don't pay huge amounts iy all adds up an is pretty much a passive income once you fed n cleaned them.
InstaBuzz

Post by InstaBuzz »

cwattyeso wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:13 pm You can also sell any excess you have after looking after your fields to the Biogas Plant so again another source of income and profit to factor in. So don't only focus on the products you sell directly to the shops, look at the bigger picture and decide if animals are profitable and worth farming to you.
Are you sure about this? There is no pricing at all under manure or slurry in the price list. I know we could sell it before, but it was hardly worth the fuel cost. And now with no price listed for it at the biogas plant, i was thinking they took the option away to sell it.
george.earlslight

Post by george.earlslight »

InstaBuzz wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:21 pm
cwattyeso wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:13 pm You can also sell any excess you have after looking after your fields to the Biogas Plant so again another source of income and profit to factor in. So don't only focus on the products you sell directly to the shops, look at the bigger picture and decide if animals are profitable and worth farming to you.
Are you sure about this? There is no pricing at all under manure or slurry in the price list. I know we could sell it before, but it was hardly worth the fuel cost. And now with no price listed for it at the biogas plant, i was thinking they took the option away to sell it.
You need to own the BGA to see prices and be able to sell there.
InstaBuzz

Post by InstaBuzz »

george.earlslight wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:31 pm
InstaBuzz wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:21 pm
You need to own the BGA to see prices and be able to sell there.
That sounds horrible.
Corstaad

Post by Corstaad »

It is, the game is out of whack with how much money is required. They didnt think any of this through before doing any of this. Now to "compensate" they'll make a dairy farm into a **** factory. Nobody in development thought that upping the feed requirement, lower milk sales, and making **** a valued commodity would change game balance? When you get to a point of having enough money to get a dairy the money is peanuts. They need to bring in someone with a agriculture business background.
george.earlslight

Post by george.earlslight »

InstaBuzz wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:50 pm
george.earlslight wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:31 pm You need to own the BGA to see prices and be able to sell there.
That sounds horrible.
I never understood why they made it work like that either :confusednew:
mackintosh

Post by mackintosh »

Money has always been a weakness in all FS games. It takes a bit of time to get going, but sooner or later, we're all making money faster than we can spend it. They haven't been able to come up with a way to make the economy balanced over the years, so now they've come up with this idea.
InstaBuzz

Post by InstaBuzz »

The biogas plant that shares property with the lime station is 750k!!! By the time I can afford that, I don't have to worry about money. Let alone selling manure and slurry.
Corstaad

Post by Corstaad »

Did some brainstorming on this. It might make more sense just to feed Hay and not do anything with silage or tmr. You'd reduce the massive time mixing tmr. Easy to feed a bunch of cows on just hay. No need for fancy silage gear. Milk isnt important and cow reproduction isnt that important. Hay is easy to scale. Simply put silage is worth to much to make that 30% increase production to matter. You'd save on time, equipment, and placeables.
InstaBuzz

Post by InstaBuzz »

Isn't milk the only profit you get from cows? Outside of the byproducts.
deddycantshoot

Post by deddycantshoot »

milk,slurry and manure and more cows of course.
deddycantshoot

Post by deddycantshoot »

before the patch you got 500 per 1k liters for manure and 400 per 1k liters of slurry.But they have cut that back .But it still brings to much to spread on your fields.