Dedicated Server Software Issues

internalfyre

Dedicated Server Software Issues

Post by internalfyre »

Hey everyone,
So I managed to get my hands on the dedicated server software.

So now I want to get the server going, except wait....im now getting an error....tried searching the forum but its all in german and even with translate
I have not found an answer yet. So if someone could help me out that would be fantastic.

So I got the dedi software. I try to run the software but I get the following error, is there a way to fix this? I cant even find what directory it is looking in for
the game files unfortunately....

Heck, I even tried putting it in the general settings folder of FS 2013 and the steam folder (Yes, the version I have is through steam).

EDIT: So now I am seeing posts that the dedi software doesnt support the steam version? What in the world? Im also seeing you need ANOTHER CD key for the game? What in the world is going on?
GIANTS Application Server/5.0.6.0
[Tue Jul 23 08:12:16 2013] Startup
[Tue Jul 23 08:12:16 2013] Fatal Error: Failed to determine installation path of
game
Press any key to continue ...
Last edited by internalfyre on Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M.A.R.C.
GIANTS Software | Lead Artist

Re: Dedicated Server Software Issues

Post by M.A.R.C. »

Sorry internalfyre, you did not tell me in the other thread you use steam, the Server Software does not support Steam.

Also please understand that you need one Farming Simulator 2013 game for yourself (You can use Steam there on your PC) and another separate Farming Simulator 2013 for the Server in addition to the Dedicated Server Software (which does not include the game).

This is posted on the buy page accordingly: This is not a game! - A physical server and a Farming Simulator 2013 license (sold separately) are required to use this software! The Steam version can't be used to run a dedicated server.

In order to get your Server up and running you need one more Farming Simulator 2013 you can buy here as an instant Download:

http://www.farming-simulator.com/buy-now.php
internalfyre

Post by internalfyre »

That is quite misleading to be honest. Take ANY Half life game for example. The dedicated server software does not need a totally SEPERATE CD Key to run. I misread the fact that a seperate key was needed, I apologize for that. What in the world were you guys thinking? That has got to be the poorest decision in GIANTS game development history, did you guys not take advice from the steam developers? I dont like sounding rude, but that is just mind mindbogglingly stupid.

Is there any way to get a refund for the dedi liscense? I will send an email to support but this is quite ridiculous.

Thank you for the info though!
M.A.R.C.

Post by M.A.R.C. »

I sent you a PM, please check your messages.

The Dedicated Software and Game are separate because some users already have multiple FS13 games and can use a spare on a Server. So we did not want to charge 50 Euro (Combopackage including the game) when they already have a spare game they can install on the server.
internalfyre

Post by internalfyre »

Ah I see, also I tried to PM you but apparantly you have disabled PM Reciept?
M.A.R.C.

Post by M.A.R.C. »

Ah crud, settings messed, fixed, should work now ;)
Farmer_Bob

Post by Farmer_Bob »

May I ask you M.A.R.C. for clarification for my situation. I have 1 dl version of FS2013 and would like to run my own server from my home (I already have a server available) Will I need to buy a second game license as well as the dedicated software to run the server?

If this IS the case it doesn't make sense to me as people can already play multi-player games why would we go to the expense of a second game license just so the game is running 24/7? I could, quite easily leave my PC on 24/7 (it is strong enough to handle it and is usually only turned off for maintenance anyway) so people could join a permanent game without buying either of the available software's
M.A.R.C.

Post by M.A.R.C. »

Farmer_Bob: Correct on both accounts.

Yes you would need the Server Software plus one Farming Sim extra. But Running the Server Software on your PC is not what it is intended for and has no benefit, actually it would be worse because you would then run 2 Games on one PC (Host and Client) if you do not use a second PC to Join the Server. So yes you would indeed be better off hosting the Game like normal and leave it running when you are not playing.

The Server Software plus Game must be put on a real Server in a Datacenter to add its benefits to Multiplayer.

I advise everyone to rent a server at gamed.de or nitrado.net instead, which come preinstalled and ready to play with all licenses needed for a low monthly cost.
tom_the_farmer
Boardurlaub/Boardholidays

Post by tom_the_farmer »

M.A.R.C. wrote:Farmer_Bob: Correct on both accounts.

Yes you would need the Server Software plus one Farming Sim extra. But Running the Server Software on your PC is not what it is intended for and has no benefit, actually it would be worse because you would then run 2 Games on one PC (Host and Client) if you do not use a second PC to Join the Server. So yes you would indeed be better off hosting the Game like normal and leave it running when you are not playing.

The Server Software plus Game must be put on a real Server in a Datacenter to add its benefits to Multiplayer.

I advise everyone to rent a server at gamed.de or nitrado.net instead, which come preinstalled and ready to play with all licenses needed for a low monthly cost.
As he state, he already have a server for the game to run on..
Farmer_Bob

Post by Farmer_Bob »

As Tom has already pointed out I do have a server to run the dedi software on but if you are screwing us out of the price of another game license on top of the cost of the server license then I will stick to playing multi-player on my PC which, as I said earlier, is running almost 24/7 anyway.
Did you know, games such as Minecraft GIVE their server version away to holders of game licenses and don't try to screw their fans out of every penny possible!

This conversation has taught me a lot about the mentality of Giants and where their follows stand in the "big scheme". We are simply here to give you all as much money as you can get out of us.

Well, I'm off to drive a few loads in ETS2, I have the latest FREE version of the TSM map and it's simply AWESOME, something I haven't, as yet, been able to say about anything to do with FS2013.

I am VERY VERY disappointed tonight and feel I have been let down badly by Giants. I know I don't offer a huge amount on this forum but, to be honest, I feel like not contributing anything in future.

Bob. *thumbsdown*
Ghost

Post by Ghost »

Well I'm out 30 bucks for not doing enough homework. I mean Every game I have used a dedicated server... was simply that a dedicated server. I downloaded installed set it up, then was able to connect to it through my purchased game. This is such a rip off. I spent 30 bucks for this add on, that only adds a remote user interface to an existing game that I have to buy in order to make the server work. in essence, you have to buy a copy of farm sim, and a copy of the server software to run it on a server machine in order to connect to it and play. If your thinking about buying this for you and some friends, just run your normal game for multiplayer and minimize it. It does the same thing without the remote user interface. Stand alone server means it's designed to work as a server without having to have the game installed. This is a complete waste of the communities funding. I can't believe it took 20 grand to write up these scripts. I have a digital copy of the server that is useless, as I am not going to buy another copy of the game to run it... $55 dollars to use a dedicated server?

Done with the rant, I like the game even with it's incomplete feel, and I play the heck out of it. But the whole server software rip off thing just rubs me wrong.
Farmer_Bob

Post by Farmer_Bob »

I can't blame you for the lack of homework Ghost, Giants gave out 2 links to forum pages dedicated to this software ( one in English and one in German) but both links led to the same page where everything was in German. I tried, as politely as possible, to explain that this was unfair to the English speaking community but got, in reply, empty promises that everything from then on would be written in both languages. Obviously, this did not happen and trying to follow what was being said via Google Translate was a total waste of time. This is why I didn't know about the extra game license and have wasted a considerable sum of my cash upgrading my server and it's security in preparation to host my own game. I have also spent a lot of time building a custom map for it and built, from the ground up, several "classic" mods to go with it.

I also spend hours and hours playing the game, or at least I did, but this has spoiled it for me big style. If you think about it, the modders GIVE their hard work away for everyone to use for free but lets see what Giants give us back in return.....

The Classic DLC ... FREE
The Ursus add on .... NOT FREE
The trailer pack DLC..... Nope that cost as well
The modding tutorials ..... forget it even this that costs as well

Giants aren't interested in you, me or any of the other users of the game, all they care about is lining their own pockets with as much of our cash as as they can possibly screw out of us.

Never before has my signature been more true as when it's applied to the mentality of Giants software.
bassaddict
GIANTS Software | Web/Script Programmer

Post by bassaddict »

Farmer_Bob wrote:Giants aren't interested in you, me or any of the other users of the game, all they care about is lining their own pockets with as much of our cash as as they can possibly screw out of us.
Well then you obviously don't know what economy is or how it works.
Farmer_Bob

Post by Farmer_Bob »

Running my own business and understanding that good will is worth more than grabbing every penny I can out of my customers does not make me foolish or ignorant! Taking one sentence out of context and using it to insult me? ......... You decide.
bassaddict
GIANTS Software | Web/Script Programmer

Post by bassaddict »

Then you should know that Giants have to make money by selling their products.
And the presence of Giants here in the forum shows that they do care about us.