Big maps?

Tryst

Big maps?

Post by Tryst »

I want a huge map with a decent distance between things. Is it possible to create a huge map or is the map size limited by the game?

I have never done a mod before but I'd be willing to have a go if I could create a map 3 or more times the size of the original that comes with the game. Is it possible or not?

Also, as I'm a first timer at creating maps, where would be the best place to go to get information and tips on how to start?
I am old fashioned, I still use a PC. A tablet is something your doctor prescribes when there is something wrong with you.
Or IS there something wrong with you?
bassaddict
GIANTS Software | Web/Script Programmer

Re: Big maps?

Post by bassaddict »

Before creating a huge map, better start with some small edits to get a feeling for GE and everything else regarding maps.
Tryst

Post by Tryst »

First question: Will the game accept a large map?
Next question: Where can I get information about how to go about creating a map?

I can start small and see how it goes and then make a larger one once I am more confident at making them, that's not a problem. The big problem is, if I make a large one, will the game accept it or will it reject it as being too big?
I am old fashioned, I still use a PC. A tablet is something your doctor prescribes when there is something wrong with you.
bassaddict

Post by bassaddict »

Up to 16x works. But that requires a really good gaming computer.
All over the internet. A good start would be FS-UK. Biggest english community for FS.
mrnascar

Post by mrnascar »

Voice of experience - even a 4x map can be really laggy if you load it up with eye candy and 20+ sellpoints....
Tryst

Post by Tryst »

mrnascar wrote:Voice of experience - even a 4x map can be really laggy if you load it up with eye candy and 20+ sellpoints....
I find that quite surprising considering the FOV is very small. Even on a small field, you often can't see the fruit growing on the other side of it, it's like a fog has formed halfway across the field. Comparing FS2013 and even FS15 to games like Skyrim, Farcry and Crysis where the FOV was huge and there was a lot going on with enemy little more than dots in the distance, I would have thought the FS games would be quite easy to convert to massive maps with little or no discernible difference in performance.
mrnascar

Post by mrnascar »

I would have thought the FS games would be quite easy to convert to massive maps with little or no discernible difference in performance.
It partly has to do with the fact my laptop is 8+years old, dual core only, no dedicated RAM on the video card....

I also find the lag is localized, if the FOV (field of view, I assume...) contains a lot of additional buildings, etc,or a concentration of mods, it slows the game down. I suspect a number of the things I've added are pretty high poly count, which doesn't help. I actually had to delete a couple things from the map that had that problem.

My understanding is that the engine in this game is not the most efficient....I haven't tried a lot of other games, but no other causes the lag this one does,especially with my personal map and a whack of mods....
bassaddict

Post by bassaddict »

It's not as much as the engine, but the current GPU architecture, which isn't capable of handling the foliage efficiently. The foliage takes up to 60% or more from the GPU power. 60% that can be used in other games for other details. That's one of the reasons why you just can't compare FS to other games.
mrnascar

Post by mrnascar »

So - my preference to put grass foliage alongside all my roads, and any unused map areas would appear to aggravate lag....
bassaddict

Post by bassaddict »

If you have really weak hardware, I guess that's a possibility.