True mapmaking from scratch

Your forum for all discussions around Modding.
Norse

True mapmaking from scratch

Post by Norse »

Hi!
Been playing FS since the very start, and just recently thought to try out some mapmaking.
I have been watching a ton of videos, but there is one thing I havent found at all;
How can I create a map from scratch (Meaning from empty editor, not editing a preexisting map)?
Now, I have googled my way through half the internet trying to figure this out, but it all comes back to pretty much the same thing; "Edit an existing map!"
Now, this is fair enough, but is there no way to make a plane from scratch?
My plan was getting the base mold through Blender, using the Google maps plugin, and then do the "finer" modelling in Giants editor.

So far I have been able to generate the base of my map in Blender and import this into Giants editor. The plane is editable, but my first major issue is the fact that my "map" is not solid. When attempting to enter first person view, I fall through, and cant see the point in fixing up the terrain until this issue is resolved...

The "Solid" atribute in the Transform tab is checked and I cant seem to find any further atributes to make my map physically exist in the editor.

If anyone knows how to fix this, I would appreciate it very very much.
TheSuBBie

Re: True mapmaking from scratch

Post by TheSuBBie »

The first problem you have is that you cannot use a terrain created in Blender for you map it just won't work as the blender export is a mesh and cannot be adjusted in GE using the terrain editing tools such as Sculpting/Painting etc. terrain is generated by the game itself.
You can create your terrain in Blender BUT you will need to create a height map from it in Blender to use as a map.dem.png in the data folder of a blank map to recreate your terrain contours.
I suggest you download a blank map and have a look at some tutorials/video's on the internet here is one such site with some tutorials on creating maps.
https://farmerboysmodding.com/index.php ... 9-mapping/ (the 19 refers to the topics forum position not to FS19)
OmaTana

Post by OmaTana »

Norse wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:25 pm I have been watching a ton of videos, but there is one thing I havent found at all;
How can I create a map from scratch (Meaning from empty editor, not editing a preexisting map)?
As TheSuBBie already said, there is no way to make a map out of nothing.

But you don't need to download an empty map, that was made by a different modder.

I myself prefer to make an empty map myself, instead of relying on the work of other modders.
You can do it like that:

In GE you choose: File - New mod from game
Then you can choose between the 3 basic maps.
Choose the map that resembles your map the most with the terrain textures and basic foliage like meadow and such.
Then you get a copy of the chosen map in your GE.
Now you can flatten the whole map and delete everything that you don't need.
Finally you have a self made empty map to start your own map.
Meine Mods
Mod-Support Thread
Aktuell gespielte Karten: Neu-Minibrunn, Silverrun Forest, St. Kalle, Haut Beyleron
Mods: relativ vanilla, Modhub-Mods und eigene
Spielgerät: PC
Norse

Post by Norse »

TheSuBBie wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:14 pm The first problem you have is that you cannot use a terrain created in Blender for you map it just won't work as the blender export is a mesh and cannot be adjusted in GE using the terrain editing tools such as Sculpting/Painting etc. terrain is generated by the game itself.
https://farmerboysmodding.com/index.php ... 9-mapping/ (the 19 refers to the topics forum position not to FS19)
This part threw me off, since both sculpting and painting worked just fine :confusednew:
But thanks! I will check out more tutorials I guess. Though it would have been a blessing to have some integrated "add plane" function in Giants Editor, I really thought importing my blneder file as a .i3d file would be the answer.
Thanks again ^^
Norse

Post by Norse »

OmaTana wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:51 pm
Norse wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:25 pm I have been watching a ton of videos, but there is one thing I havent found at all;
In GE you choose: File - New mod from game
Then you can choose between the 3 basic maps.
Choose the map that resembles your map the most with the terrain textures and basic foliage like meadow and such.
Then you get a copy of the chosen map in your GE.
Now you can flatten the whole map and delete everything that you don't need.
Finally you have a self made empty map to start your own map.
Yes, I started off with this, but due to the lack of size, I endavoured into trying via Blender wanting a 6x6km playable area :blushnew: (as well as being able to get an ok sculpted starting point!)
Thank you very much for your answer tho.
TheSuBBie

Post by TheSuBBie »

Map size is set by the map.dem.png image size, for example

Standard 1x map is 2km x 2km --1024 x1024 map.dem.png
4x map is 4 standard maps = 4km x 4 km --2048 x 2048 map.dem.png
16 x map is 16 standard maps = 8km x 8km --4096 x 4096 map.dem.png
64 x map is 64 standard maps = 16km x 16 km --8192 x 8192 map.dem.png
All weight/gdm/grle files also need to be increased by a factor^2 from their standard map size otherwise problems will occur with foliage/crops etc.
since both sculpting and painting worked just fine
I am intrigued by this , do you mean you created a terrain mesh consisting of 2m squares in Blender and then exported it as an i3d and then was able to modify the mesh with the terrain sculpting tools (add,smooth subtract,noise,erosion) and was also able to paint the terrain using the Texture Layer painting panel.
If so could you please elaborate on how this was acheived.