News for Fendt fans and technology fans

Hoss1

News for Fendt fans and technology fans

Post by Hoss1 »

This is an excerpt from today’s Successful Farming newsletter:

“Introducing A Combine With No Steering Wheel - Instead of a steering wheel, the machine will be equipped with the new Fendt IdealDrive introduced at the 2020 Commodity Classic. IdealDrive is a joystick steering system option that gives the combine operator a clear view of the whole header.”

The article states that combines can be ordered with the IdealDrive system starting May 2020. So, obviously, this has been in the works for some time, but this is the first I’ve heard of it.

This would sure make an interesting FS19 mod or perhaps an option for future FS series.
Playing on Xbox since FS15
Hoss1

Re: News for Fendt fans and technology fans

Post by Hoss1 »

My apologies... I posted this in General Discussion and realize that it may be better put in Off Topic.

Moderator(s), please feel free to move if appropriate.

Edit don_apple: topic moved.
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

Interesting, but not really ground-breaking in my eyes. I don't run combines. I'm more into the construction side of the equipment world. Loaders and graders have had joysticks for steering in some models for a little while now. Sometimes it's too touchy, and sometimes I'm sure it's nice.

In a practical sense though, what does that really gain the operator? Is it imperative that the operator see the center of the head as he's combining? Certainly this new feature comes with a hefty price. I imagine even if this idea becomes mainstream, it will take a long while to catch on. Like I said, I'm never ran a combine. Maybe there's something I'm missing. Still though, interesting idea.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."- Benjamin Franklin
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; You will go far"- Theodore Roosevelt
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” – Elie Wiesel
iwan073

Post by iwan073 »

Why interesting for Farming Simulator?
It’s not like my DualShock controller will feel any different just because this combine has a joystick instead of a steering wheel.
Ignorance is bliss
juf.de

Post by juf.de »

Just saw it in Brian's Farming Videos, there the saleman stated that it will give the operator a better view on the header in general and the inlet into the harvester specifially, as the sterring console has been moved to the left site of the seat.
Tutorials: log.txt, Giants Bilderhoster, erweiterter Texteditor, Konsole (PC)    /    Direktlink Giants Imagehoster
[PC] [Mac] [XB1] [PS4] in the thread title keeps the Forum clean / im Threadtitel hält das Forum übersichtlich
Playing on PC
Hoss1

Post by Hoss1 »

They claim it will also “decrease operator fatigue”, especially when making 180-degree headland turns. On average, it takes around 4 to 5 turns of a steering wheel in the headland turn.
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

All of this is understandable I s'pose. I can tell you with full confidence though, that joystick controls aren't always what they're cracked up to be. They are sometimes not as precise as we'd like, and sometimes they are very sensitive.
"We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately."- Benjamin Franklin
“There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest.” – Elie Wiesel
Farmercaseih

Post by Farmercaseih »

I'm so not sure how well a joystick would work trying to follow rows of corn on headlands.
Hoss1

Post by Hoss1 »

Farmercaseih wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:57 pm I'm so not sure how well a joystick would work trying to follow rows of corn on headlands.
That’s a good question! I get the point about better header visibility, but personally, I’d take a steering wheel any day. *thumbsup*
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

I just saw a picture of an American claas lexion with a hosrch seder in the back. It is design to plant cover crop right after harvest.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

I’ve only ever driven one combine in my life (two of you count on someone’s lap) and I think that the wheels are pretty good, I wouldn’t be able to handle joysticks fo how much I struggle with WASD on a keyboard. Same with choppers
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
valentind63

Post by valentind63 »

Deadeye wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:12 am Interesting, but not really ground-breaking in my eyes. I don't run combines. I'm more into the construction side of the equipment world. Loaders and graders have had joysticks for steering in some models for a little while now Stockage Mobile. Sometimes it's too touchy, and sometimes I'm sure it's nice.

In a practical sense though, what does that really gain the operator? Is it imperative that the operator see the center of the head as he's combining? Certainly this new feature comes with a hefty price. I imagine even if this idea becomes mainstream, it will take a long while to catch on. Like I said, I'm never ran a combine. Maybe there's something I'm missing. Still though, interesting idea.
Maybe you could help me with the choice of interlocking pavers.
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

valentind63 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:07 pm
Deadeye wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:12 am Interesting, but not really ground-breaking in my eyes. I don't run combines. I'm more into the construction side of the equipment world. Loaders and graders have had joysticks for steering in some models for a little while now Stockage Mobile. Sometimes it's too touchy, and sometimes I'm sure it's nice.

Maybe you could help me with the choice of interlocking pavers.
While I would like to help, I'm very uninformed when it comes to pavers. The most work I've ever done with blacktop is laboring. Its not something I do very much of.