organic farmer anyone?

Dziwny85

Re: organic farmer anyone?

Post by Dziwny85 »

Patrick73 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:18 pm I’ve started an organic save on Greenwich valley on easy mode (sorry) just to simulate better prices for organic crops.constant fertilising gets on my nerves tbh so I thought I’d try something different. Oh not using lime either just cover crop,slurry and manure
You can use lime in organic farming
Patrick73

Post by Patrick73 »

Really? Didn’t know that thanx
Farmercaseih

Post by Farmercaseih »

It is just limestone
Crazof

Post by Crazof »

organic farming is a neat idea, but frankly you can make a ton more money putting that slurry and manure in the BGA.
Farmer 6644

Post by Farmer 6644 »

You know there is solid organic fertilizer available that is applied with a broadcast spreader. Therefore with imagination you could applie solid fertilizer and still be organic .
Patrick73

Post by Patrick73 »

Crazof wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:44 pm organic farming is a neat idea, but frankly you can make a ton more money putting that slurry and manure in the BGA.
I know I could make money like that but I just want to freshen things up a little, I’ve also promised myself no loan or leasing. Really enjoying it so far.

Just a quick question but does the straw harvest mess up anyone’s animal info? With straw harvest enabled I can’t fill the straw completely, without it it’s fine
1992Tadej1992

Post by 1992Tadej1992 »

That is actually a great idea!

I will definitely try that, because natural fertilizers are really something that i am really enjoy using it. It is free, bio and doesnt harm the nature. I know only in real life, but if something like that is available in the game, why not to use it.

Oilseed radish, compost, manure/slurry, weeders. That will keep me busy for some time :coolnew:
masterplan

Post by masterplan »

Renewing an old topic. :biggrin2:

I was an organinc farmer in FS17 on Lawfolds map having 5000+ cows and between 22 - 25 000 pigs. That gave me enough manure & slurry to fertilise all fields 3x with it.
The most common scenario was manure after harvest, then slurry + cultivator combo, Great plains planter without fertiliser and slurry again.

In FS19 it's different. First of all, fertilising a field after the harvest and get 2nd fert stage with slurry + cultivator combo does not work. But cultivating and then spreading slurry does work. A bit stupid, if you ask me.

So right now I'm testing using oilseed radish with a direct drill to get fert 1. I can't use the direct drill after the radish pops to get 3 stage fert. Oh no, I'd want too much. I gotta cultivate it and then use the exact same drill and voilá - there we go - 3 stages of fertilising done.
FS22 @ Xbox Series X | waiting for a cool mod map :biggrin2:
Dziwny85

Post by Dziwny85 »

I'm also play organic fs since 17. I'm organic farmer IRL so for my is natural. I'm just don't understand weeds system in seasons. Believe me weeds don't grow like that. The vanilla weeds growing is more precise. I agree that some weeds grow in patches but generally they are spread all over the field. Some smaller, some bigger, some in spots but all over the field. That's my only complaints. I just turned it off with seasons.
Jonhinkerton

Post by Jonhinkerton »

Patrick73 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:18 pm I’ve started an organic save on Greenwich valley on easy mode (sorry) just to simulate better prices for organic crops.constant fertilising gets on my nerves tbh so I thought I’d try something different. Oh not using lime either just cover crop,slurry and manure
I am organic farming on Greenwich as well. I am set up at the cow farm which gives me plenty of slurry for the handful of small fields I grow sunflowers on. Milk pays the bills and seeds replace my tractors now and then. I have a collection of tools for getting fertilizer steps without using actual fertilizer that have come out over the last year or so - slurry tank, stubble cultivator, rollers... I actually have enough different ways to fertilize that I can mix it up a bit plus the baseline radishes. I direct drill to simulate no-till into cover crop and don't ever do actual cultivation. usually I cut the stubble with the Agromaz, then slurry, then direct drill radishes, then direct plant, but I roll instead of slurry sometimes, especially if the tank is low.

We really need a broadcast spreader/seeder that can "direct drill" for more verisimilitude on console.

That said, I turned off weeds. I just got to a point in FS in general where I have dealt with weeds as much as I am willing to. Playing on seasons it seems like the mechanical pullers are inconsistently effective and workers can't be set to the task with any a variety of weeder or herbicide sprayer so it's always manual. It's crossing that line between simulation and frustrating game design and I am just too old for this stuff. If they could update the way seasons works with weeds and workers I would go back to using them, but not until or unless. In my mind the reason weeds are off is that the no-till layer and plant into cover outcompetes the weeds enough to trivialize the loss.
Dziwny85

Post by Dziwny85 »

Maybe someone knows how to change seasons weeds system back to vanilla style??
Crazof

Post by Crazof »

Dziwny85 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:54 pm Maybe someone knows how to change seasons weeds system back to vanilla style??
remove seasons
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Dziwny85 wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:57 pm I'm also play organic fs since 17. I'm organic farmer IRL so for my is natural. I'm just don't understand weeds system in seasons. Believe me weeds don't grow like that. The vanilla weeds growing is more precise. I agree that some weeds grow in patches but generally they are spread all over the field. Some smaller, some bigger, some in spots but all over the field. That's my only complaints. I just turned it off with seasons.
Please tell me more about how the vanilla game weeds are like in real life and what you find so incredibly hard to understand about weeds in Seasons. I am all ears and all eyes to see photos of fields completely covered in weeds all at once like in the vanilla game. If you can provide videos that would be a bonus and I will immediately remove the weeds system from the Seasons mod. Also I will curse every day at my land at 6 am and complain that it is not fully covered in weeds.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

Jonhinkerton wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:13 pm
I am organic farming on Greenwich as well. I am set up at the cow farm which gives me plenty of slurry for the handful of small fields I grow sunflowers on. Milk pays the bills and seeds replace my tractors now and then. I have a collection of tools for getting fertilizer steps without using actual fertilizer that have come out over the last year or so - slurry tank, stubble cultivator, rollers... I actually have enough different ways to fertilize that I can mix it up a bit plus the baseline radishes. I direct drill to simulate no-till into cover crop and don't ever do actual cultivation. usually I cut the stubble with the Agromaz, then slurry, then direct drill radishes, then direct plant, but I roll instead of slurry sometimes, especially if the tank is low.

We really need a broadcast spreader/seeder that can "direct drill" for more verisimilitude on console.

That said, I turned off weeds. I just got to a point in FS in general where I have dealt with weeds as much as I am willing to. Playing on seasons it seems like the mechanical pullers are inconsistently effective and workers can't be set to the task with any a variety of weeder or herbicide sprayer so it's always manual. It's crossing that line between simulation and frustrating game design and I am just too old for this stuff. If they could update the way seasons works with weeds and workers I would go back to using them, but not until or unless. In my mind the reason weeds are off is that the no-till layer and plant into cover outcompetes the weeds enough to trivialize the loss.
Wait until your crops have germinated and then do one pass of herbicide. If that's too much work, then let courseplay do it for you.
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

I would say weeds are a mixture of base game and seasons. They will start in patches like with seasons, but if left unattended they will cover the entire field, like base game. Irl it also takes multiple times spraying to get them under control and even then sometimes they are still prevalent in areas.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.