DIY Buttonbox project while waiting for fs22

Dapp

DIY Buttonbox project while waiting for fs22

Post by Dapp »

Recently I have made a button box for farming simulator. I thought it would be nice to share it here, maybe other people are also interested in this little project. It is based on the arduino pro micro board, with mmjoy2 loaded on it. Total costs for this project are about +- 45 euros.

4x momentary toggle switches
9x momentary press buttons
1x arduino pro micro
4x small momentary press buttons
1x rotary starter switch
1x press up/down button for cruisecontrol
1x micro usb cable
-soldering iron and some solder tin
-some pieces of wire
-icon stickers
-plastic junction box
-silicone rubber hole cap
-different drills and a step drill
-desk clamp
-some soldering skill and patience
-use your own fantasy

English is not my native language, sorry if there are spelling mistakes in the text.
george.earlslight

Re: DIY Buttonbox project while waiting for fs22

Post by george.earlslight »

Very nice, conrgats!
vbost

Post by vbost »

looks amazing, nice alternative to the logitech button box. It looks like a fun project to do with my kids.
How many hours did this take you to make it?

I am not very familiar with programming integrated circuits except some C++ programing back in collage. How did you program this?
Dapp

Post by Dapp »

vbost wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:28 pm looks amazing, nice alternative to the logitech button box. It looks like a fun project to do with my kids.
How many hours did this take you to make it?

I am not very familiar with programming integrated circuits except some C++ programing back in collage. How did you program this?
Yeah it is much better than the saitek/logitech buttonbox in my opinion (with an external joystick next to it). The logitech buttonbox feels so plastic and don't have real toggle switches and starter knob.

I made this box in +/- 4 hours, including soldering and programming.

This is the soldering scheme I made.

https://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ ... ap-arduino
On this website there is much information about downloading and change the firmware from the arduino to mmjoy2

When you start the project with your kids, you can always send me a message *thumbsup*

Edit: Ik zie dat je uit België komt, dan is Nederlands praten misschien wat makkelijker voor mij :biggrin2:
Yeahrightio

Post by Yeahrightio »

👏 dapp, that's a nice looking controller, it reminds me of our farmscan control box we have here in Australia, it resembles the older farmscan ones. How many hours have you got on that?
G'day from Australia :hi:
Fiatagri, the Italian stallion

PC has finally won me over, back to 17 now, Western Shore.
- Ford TW35
- Massey Ferguson 148
- New Holland 110-90
- Claas Dominator 88s

The farm focuses on Milk production, with cereals, grass silage and potato’s on the side for some extra income, whilst running a multitude of modern classics.
strauts6

Post by strauts6 »

Nice work! I also made a button box like this for FS19, but didnt really use it because i couldnt stand using wheel for this game, no gears and reversing with brake pedal was too much for me.
wrs

Post by wrs »

Wow nice work, a Shame you can't make some more. I am so ham-fisted with stuff like this that I couldn't and don't have the patience to do this. Certainly a handy little box of tricks though.
Dapp

Post by Dapp »

Yeahrightio wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:55 am 👏 dapp, that's a nice looking controller, it reminds me of our farmscan control box we have here in Australia, it resembles the older farmscan ones. How many hours have you got on that?
Thank you! I made this buttonbox in +/- 4 hours *thumbsup*
wrs wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:50 am Wow nice work, a Shame you can't make some more. I am so ham-fisted with stuff like this that I couldn't and don't have the patience to do this. Certainly a handy little box of tricks though.
Maybe I will make some more, I like to work on projects like this :smileynew:

strauts6 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:30 am Nice work! I also made a button box like this for FS19, but didnt really use it because i couldnt stand using wheel for this game, no gears and reversing with brake pedal was too much for me.
Thanks! Well, maybe use it again in FS22? now there is support for shifters and manual shifting!
Drmattymd

Post by Drmattymd »

strauts6 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:30 am Nice work! I also made a button box like this for FS19, but didnt really use it because i couldnt stand using wheel for this game, no gears and reversing with brake pedal was too much for me.
Both of those issues are easily corrected with mods.
Playing on PC and PS4
don_apple

Post by don_apple »

You might want to take a look at the VCA mod, which provides both a gearbox and also implements 'shuttle control', which allows to change the driving direction with the press of a button, amongst many other nice features.

But since it looks like FS22 will have built-in gearbox (and hopefully also shuttle control) you might want to consider using your wheel and the buttonbox again.
Gruß/Regards,
don_apple

Apple iMac 27" (2017), Quad-Core i7 4.2 GHz, 48GB, AMD Radeon R580 8GB
Bitte benutzt das öffentliche Forum für Supportfragen und nicht PN/Please use the public forum for support questions and not PM
FS22 Bugtracker
log.txt Image Server Forenregeln Board rules
cwattyeso

Post by cwattyeso »

Very nice Button Box. I was actually looking online for something just like this last night. I've seen the Logitech Sidepanel obviously, but am not impressed at all with the build quality, cheap materials and limited functionality of the buttons and switches on that. So would have liked something much higher quality. I found quite a few sites offering button boxes for sale, but all seemed tailored more to Racing Games or Truck Simulator, with very few if any at all being designed or suitable for Farming Simulator. If you wanted to make another one, I'd be more then happy to buy it from you, as would love to add it to my setup for playing Farming Simulator 22.
Check out my YouTube Channel for Farming Simulator and other Gaming Let's Plays and Videos at https://www.youtube.com/c/CwattyesoGamingforFun :D

Also be sure to check out my Kick Channel for my Farming Simulator Live Streams and Multiplayer Server at https://www.kick.com/cwattyeso :gamer:

GIANTS SOFTWARE Personal Partner Code: CWATTYESO *thumbsup*
NorwayFarming

Post by NorwayFarming »

Playing on PC
G29 steering wheel and pedals
Logitech Side Panel
2x Thrustmaster TM 16000 for logging
strauts6

Post by strauts6 »

don_apple wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:29 pm
You might want to take a look at the VCA mod, which provides both a gearbox and also implements 'shuttle control', which allows to change the driving direction with the press of a button, amongst many other nice features.

But since it looks like FS22 will have built-in gearbox (and hopefully also shuttle control) you might want to consider using your wheel and the buttonbox again.
I tried it, but it adds so much stuff that i dont like or want, like changing how fast wheel turns, mowing camera and looking back when i dont want to.
strauts6

Post by strauts6 »

Mine looks like this. I couldnt find a box that looks good, but this one works as good. It has some momentary switches, buttons and rotary encoders.
don_apple

Post by don_apple »

strauts6 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:42 pm
don_apple wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:29 pm

I tried it, but it adds so much stuff that i dont like or want, like changing how fast wheel turns, mowing camera and looking back when i dont want to.
You can actually turn of all the stuff you don't want quite easy either via the in-game menu of the mod (accessible by pressing 'Ctrl + C' while in a vehicle) or by directly modifying the config.xml of the mod, which can be found in the 'FarmingSimulator2019/modsSettings/FS19_VehicleControlAddon' folder.
Gruß/Regards,
don_apple

Apple iMac 27" (2017), Quad-Core i7 4.2 GHz, 48GB, AMD Radeon R580 8GB
Bitte benutzt das öffentliche Forum für Supportfragen und nicht PN/Please use the public forum for support questions and not PM
FS22 Bugtracker
log.txt Image Server Forenregeln Board rules