New to FS(22) - Need a bit of harvesting help

SaltyBahls

New to FS(22) - Need a bit of harvesting help

Post by SaltyBahls »

Hello,

I posted this about 30 minutes ago but cannot find my own post so I am doing this again. Please forgive any resulting double post but I don't think that will happen.

I am new to FS and jumped in with FS22. I have made two attempts at harvesting but having an issue. Not sure if I am doing something wrong or if there is a bug or something...so I will describe both attempts.

First attempt, bought property with potatoes already growing and it was harvest time per the calendar. I bought the attachment that cuts down the foliage (sorry, can't recall the name and I cannot find it in the store). I tried mounting it on the front and the back, activating it of course, and the result is the same. I only accomplish destroying the foliage with the tires of my tractor. I know this because it left a row in the middle where the tires didn't tread.

Okay, got frustrated and deleted that save thinking I'll start from scratch. My second attempt - I bought a property with Sunflowers growing and it was harvest time. I bought a compatible harvester and header. I would activate the header and the engine would rev up but the result was the same, I only destroyed the crop by running it over instead of harvesting.

So, this makes me think there is a bug. Or, this makes me think that I cannot harvest existing crops on a newly purchased property.

I should add that I know there is an option to turn off crop destruction. Even set to 'Off', nothing is harvested.

Can some veteran steer me in the right direction please?
Lufarms

Re: New to FS(22) - Need a bit of harvesting help

Post by Lufarms »

You need to look at the growing stages. What I think is happening is that the harvest window is open per the calendar, but the crop is not ready to harvest yet.
gr4474

Post by gr4474 »

You can turn off crop destruction. I personally don't like it. Also when you walk on the field, a box will pop up that tells you if the crop is ready to harvest, or growing. anything ready to harvest will turn brownish. Also it says if it needs plowing, and how much weeding and fertilization has been done. I turned weeding off, since it's unrealistic for me. Maybe when I'm not broke and want to buy a $17,000 weeder I'll turn it on.
SaltyBahls

Post by SaltyBahls »

Thanks all, especially gr4474. That explains it. I did notice that the crop was in the "growing" cycle but wrongly assumed that since it was harvest season, I would be able to harvest the crop. Didn't know the cycle would change to something like "ready to harvest". So now I am going to assume that since the crop wasn't ready, the equipment used for harvesting will not work.
FarmerJohn89

Post by FarmerJohn89 »

SaltyBahls wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:17 am Thanks all, especially gr4474. That explains it. I did notice that the crop was in the "growing" cycle but wrongly assumed that since it was harvest season, I would be able to harvest the crop. Didn't know the cycle would change to something like "ready to harvest". So now I am going to assume that since the crop wasn't ready, the equipment used for harvesting will not work.
Also if you use the yellow ropa trailer potato Harvester you don't need to remove the tops should save you a good bit of time.
Devric

Post by Devric »

You also have a sowing period, and the later in that period you sow/plant something, the later in the harvesting period the crops will be ready to harvest. And the opposite of course.
reider

Post by reider »

Rain may stop the harvesting too. It did in FS2019. Shout in the Forum if you need more help. We all were new once and it changes in the stages and UI over time. Checking out some Farming 2019/2022 YouTube clips or Livestream like Twitch helps to demystify a lot of it also.