How does a real farmer move around?

briansommers

How does a real farmer move around?

Post by briansommers »

One of the worse things n FS22 is the [TAB] key. Allowing us to take a magic portal to each vehicle.
I have a mod that I’ve downloaded that disables that. So I do a lot of walking in the sim. Sometime I pretend that my wife will drive the pickup truck with me to wherever I’m going - and then I’ll use the map to “jump” but if I do I advance time 10-15 minutes in game to simulate being driven to said location.

But in real life how is this done? Do they have a guy that hauls the farmers around or ?
blue_painted

Re: How does a real farmer move around?

Post by blue_painted »

In my experience, mostly you drive your tractor A to tractor B and then change, if that's what you need. Or walk. Or you take the Landy, or get a lift. Or bicycle ... which makes me wonder if the new revised strapping vehicles down would work with bicycles. :hmm:
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
george.earlslight

Post by george.earlslight »

You either move with the machinery or a car/pickup truck/quad.

Example: You wake up, ride the quad to the tractor yard, get the implement, drive to field, do work, return and park the tractor, take the quad back home.
Mwal

Post by Mwal »

It’s usually a lot of walking but when it’s a long distance sometimes I will put my four wheeler in my pickup, or when planting right on the seed trailer, then drop my pickup off and ride the four wheeler back to get the tractor. Otherwise usually someone is around like my wife, kid, dad, mom, or brother.
paul_c

Post by paul_c »

When I did dairy farming, for "work" it was quad for short distances when little/nothing needed to be carried, or a LR for the outer fields. If food was needed for cattle, it meant the telehandler trundled along the road carrying a bale.....luckily it was a Kramer 680T (ie the style with a high centre cab, not the low cab on the left which is terrible for visibility, especially driving on UK roads.

I remember needing to nip out in my Peugeot 206 and cross fields in it, to open gates (we had a disabled tractor driver who could drive but struggled getting in and out).

I've known combine teams in the summer to initially "go to a site" with one of the tractors towing two trailers*, and the tractor which would normally be with that trailer, tow a flatbed/lowloader with a car on it.

Its legal for a tractor to tow 2 trailers only if they're empty. I think (can't remember the details) its also possible to tow two trailers and one be the combine header trailer (with the header loaded on it) but happy to be corrected there.
briansommers

Post by briansommers »

Mmm… interesting. I wonder if you could load up one of the pickup trucks on a low trailer in FS22? That would work.
PrincessJessi84

Post by PrincessJessi84 »

I take my pickup or atv to wherever I need and have the neighbor drive it back for me (don't forget that the new AI system allows you to send vehicles off with the AI as long as you keep it on or close to the main roads). Its so much more immersive than tabbing and keeps me from walking everywhere. I also just have them follow/meet me with a second vehicle in the case of harvesting remote fields.
https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
PC
PC - Ryzen 7-2700 8core, 32gb ram, 2x2tb SSD, RTX 2080 SUPER 8gb, GX-850 Gold PSU
Displays - ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ 43” Super Ultra-Wide Curved HDR Gaming Monitor 120Hz (3840 x 1200)
Samsung CFG70 27" Curved gaming Monitor 144HZ (1920 x 1080)
2x 24" Dell Monitors
Controllers - T150 Pro, Side Panel, TrackIR7, TM Stick
briansommers

Post by briansommers »

I’ll need to look into the AI helper feature - never used it yet.
RED_Smith

Post by RED_Smith »

blue_painted wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:27 am In my experience, mostly you drive your tractor A to tractor B and then change, if that's what you need. Or walk. Or you take the Landy, or get a lift. Or bicycle ... which makes me wonder if the new revised strapping vehicles down would work with bicycles. :hmm:
I can almost see it now one of those bicycle transport racks mounted on the front of tractor with a 10 speed in it
Illinois Farmer

Post by Illinois Farmer »

Irl my family and myself move equipment to a field or farm and someone will pick the other up and go back to whatever else we need.
1300 acre farm, finish out just about 10,000 hogs a year, 200 cattle, and xbox one and pc user.
DirectCedar

Post by DirectCedar »

All of these ways mentioned above, plus (at least around here) some people put folding hitches on the front of their pickups or service trucks and will pull that to the field behind the combine or baler or seeding outfit. Or if you have multiple operators working together (like harvesting with two combines and two trucks), one guy will chase the other equipment with the pickup for one or two trips until everything is moved.
deerefarm

Post by deerefarm »

IRL we either drove the tractor to the field and did the field work and drove home at the end of the day, depending on the distance. Or you had someone come pick you up and then drop you back off the next day.
Have been playing FS since FS 2011 came out and still going strong. *thumbsup*
Check out Dairy Air Farms https://www.youtube.com/c/DairyAirFarms
chale8

Post by chale8 »

On ours the sheds with the machinery are just across from the house, so you walk over there and take the appropriate tractor and implement to where it needs to be. For general getting about it's the Land Rover.
briansommers

Post by briansommers »

That's what I have been doing, pretending my wife works with me on my farm in sim. She drops me off etc wherever I need to be.

In sim, I will "jump" to wherever I need to be then fast forward the clock 10-20 minutes depending on how far it is.
fenixguy

Post by fenixguy »

IRL the farmers around me have portal guns.
FS22 is the best one yet. Fight me!