Please remove "Real World" ads from game -> Giants Devs

MagicBoy

Re: Why is the game serving ads?

Post by MagicBoy »

MagicBoy wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:03 pm
Shintai wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:13 pm I dont recall we got a discount for the game to offset this "feature".
You want an explicit discount stated upon purchase to offset a couple of dynamic billboards in the base game maps, as it greatly offends you?

What next, an itemised bill as to the commercial arrangement between Giants and John Deere, Case and AGCO?

You need to lighten up.

Next you'll be telling me you invoice the local council/county/whatever for viewing adverts by the side of the road as you drive to the grocery store. :lol:
Shintai wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:13 pm You confuse parts you buy and dont buy.
Nope. I bought Farming Simulator 22, and that's what I received.
Shintai wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:13 pm Also the ads in game have nothing to do with farming.
Not noticed anything immersion breaking for a pretend farming sandbox. Unless you're getting your underpants in a knot over a pretend beer brand. Does the Simpsons having Duff Beer also antagonise you?
Shintai wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:13 pm Plus they are immersion breaking when presented in another language.
Nope. I'm playing a foreign map. I wouldn't expect everything in English.
Shintai wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:13 pm The billboards also support video, I guess you are looking forward to that.
Meh, not really bothered in the slightest.

I await your next frothing at the mouth rant about them using your bandwidth without your permission and the itemised bill you sent Giants.
ASOLANDRI

Post by ASOLANDRI »

alha alha wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:24 pm
ASOLANDRI wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:18 pm
Questionnaire wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:37 pm it does not keep updating the billboards throughout the session.
Having these not changing constantly is more realistic-ish because I think it takes a week or a month before changing the billboard.
Unfortunately around here, a decent number of them over the last 5+ years have been converted to electronic billboards, so they rotate thru the ads every 10 seconds or so. yay.
Here in Central Texas around here are mostly Static Billboards.
Greetings, from Central Texas! :hi:

Back to the digital farm with the new 65" TCL 4K HDR TV. PS5 *thumbsup*

Map/Playtime:
Alma, Missouri: 140 Hours
Griffin, Indiana 22: 103 Hours
Edgewater, SK: 79 Hours
Ohio Richlands: 78 Hours
Elmcreek: 32 Hours
Big Flats, Texas: 20 Hours
AgroDude

Post by AgroDude »

Xtrememaster wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:10 pm
AgroDude wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:42 am I'm totally zoned out of even seeing adverts. I didn't even notice the billboard sat there.

My philosophy: if you interrupt what I'm doing, you're permanently entering my DO NOT BUY list (that includes all video ads on YT). I hit mute and look away. I see not even 1 second.
I thought they where fake ad boards. something that is integrated in the game already. But it seems to be more worse then that. :hmm:
Yes - this specific billboard (by the gas station) is a live ad board showing real adverts. It appears the adverts are loaded at game load. I have confirmed blocking the URL on page 1 of this thread blocks them. I now see the fictional generic advert on that board.
Luftkopf

Post by Luftkopf »

So where actually are these billboards? Because I’ve only actually ever seen the fake ads, never real brands.
Xtrememaster

Post by Xtrememaster »

On the Elm creek map. You have just look around and you will see them.. Also on some factory buildings.
Pre-ordered FS17 1x xbox one version, 1x steam version 1x Giants store versionHaving 2x saitek heavy equipment steers (one is here and the other under way) Also pre-ordered the FS17 collectors edition. *thumbsup* *thumbsup* *thumbsup* :chinese:
Luftkopf

Post by Luftkopf »

Xtrememaster wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:58 pm On the Elm creek map. You have just look around and you will see them.. Also on some factory buildings.
Ah, thanks. That’s why don’t see them. I don’t play on Elm Creek much, I spend the majority of my time on Haut-Beyleron. I’ll have to go check it out.
FLusty94

Post by FLusty94 »

bla bla
Phantoms

Post by Phantoms »

AgroDude wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:42 am I'm totally zoned out of even seeing adverts. I didn't even notice the billboard sat there.

My philosophy: if you interrupt what I'm doing, you're permanently entering my DO NOT BUY list (that includes all video ads on YT). I hit mute and look away. I see not even 1 second.
Funny thing about youtube. They didn't have ads for many of it's beginning years. Then when they started having ads, they had one at the beginning that you could skip. It continually got more and more and now you can't skip them, they have ads pop up throughout the video, etc., etc. You can now pay them so that ads are limited. Complain about ads on youtube and you get all kinds of people defending them. Youtube needs to make money, etc. Either they forget how youtube was or they weren't there during it's first several years.

Now you see people defending Giants for serving ads on billboards in FS. "It makes it more realistic", "what do you think all the branded vehicles are", "other games are doing it", etc. I call BS on that. It's a money grab plain and simple. And once it starts it will only get more and more.
Playing on PC
Questionnaire

Post by Questionnaire »

Phantoms wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:00 am

Funny thing about youtube. They didn't have ads for many of it's beginning years. Then when they started having ads, they had one at the beginning that you could skip. It continually got more and more and now you can't skip them, they have ads pop up throughout the video, etc., etc. You can now pay them so that ads are limited. Complain about ads on youtube and you get all kinds of people defending them. Youtube needs to make money, etc. Either they forget how youtube was or they weren't there during it's first several years.

Now you see people defending Giants for serving ads on billboards in FS. "It makes it more realistic", "what do you think all the branded vehicles are", "other games are doing it", etc. I call BS on that. It's a money grab plain and simple. And once it starts it will only get more and more.
Ads on Youtube interrupt your content, billboards in games that happen to be real brands don't. Also, they aren't demanding more of your money for this, they get no money from you going and visiting those sites, they just put the images on the billboards.They are just different images on the billboards, it does not matter.
Playing FS 15-17-19-22 on a Razer Blade.

PC Specs
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
AMD Radeon RX 590 "Fatboy"
Corsair Vengance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8) DDR4-3200
Gigabyte B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Samsung 870 QVO Plus 1TB
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB M.2

In-game username:Questionnaire
Discord: russian_man_99
alha alha

Post by alha alha »

I cut the cord (cable TV) about 7-8 years ago, and never looked back. Also haven't fallen into what I call the cable replacement syndrome (Disney +, Hulu, Netflix, Apple TV, etc.) either, because after you subscribe to a number of those, you're pretty much back up to somewhere around what you used to pay for cable. For the most part I've just gone with YouTube for my entertainment, and watch it almost exclusively on a computer and not my phone. The ads on it don't bother me at all, as I'm running Adblock plus, so other than in content product placements, I haven't seen an ad on YouTube in years.
Shintai

Post by Shintai »

Phantoms wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:00 am

Exactly. This is why people white knighting this is either blind to the reasons and further development or simply do not know any better. We already know the billboards support video for example. Its a slippery slope only heading downwards.
norfolk farmer

Post by norfolk farmer »

norfolk farmer wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:50 am
Stegei wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:18 am Note that the ad system in FS22 is not collecting any private data at all (unlike other ad systems from Facebook, Google, etc.). So you're not actually 'selling' any of your private data.
I have no problem personally with the ads on the basegame maps, but my question would be are modders going to be required to have the billboards on mod maps to qualify for the modhub ? As depending on the map it could look badly out of place.
This is my only concern regarding them.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

tuttle wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:48 am A billboard mod for income doesn't sound half bad. Way more realistic than a Gov subsidy, even if it doesn't pay very much.
Are you suggesting that government subsidies for farmers aren't realistic?
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

chedder_farms wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:04 pm
Would you like the car dealer to paint an ad on the side of your car before delivering it to you? How about your home seller sticking a billboard on your lawn.
They already do in most parts of the world. You end up with a sticker on the back window proudly proclaiming where you bought the car from and sometimes on the number plate holder too. I have always removed the stickers, since I didn't recall a sponsorship deal discussion with the sales person.
theSeb

Post by theSeb »

IseOlen wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:11 am The problem for me is not about "it's real products that they advertise". The problem is about security.
Basically when you play the game "billboard picture code(BPC)" is downloaded from Giants server and run. First it might be a static picture shown on billboard, then a GIF, then a video with sound or in case Giants is really stripped - a crypto-mining software (don't worry they won't use you GPU - you would notice framedrops, they'll use CPU as the game itself loads maybe 2-3 cores only and you probably have spare resources there). Burried in the TC they actually might have something about it. Together with "in case our servers are hacked and the BPC is replaced with some cryptolocker software - you're on your own".
So still not a problem that they didn't tell you about this functionality?
:lol: No, that's not how any of this works.

Many people have always wanted real adverts in their games (for immersion). I recall many mod maps with actual dealer names and so forth based on the area they were representing. I guess this was Giants response and also an easy way to make some extra money with real adverts. The fact that the adverts don't fit the locale of the map and are based on your locale does *censored* and ruin the immersion, but let's not get onto the slippery slope ridiculous fallacy that I just quoted, because that does not help anyone. Nobody wanted to just drive around in Lizards, so this was the next logical step. These adverts aren't connected to the typical ad networks, so your concern about crypto mining ads is beyond banal.