Please remove "Real World" ads from game -> Giants Devs

Cyrus1952

Re: Why is the game serving ads?

Post by Cyrus1952 »

Really interesting what upsets people nowadays. Must be hard to get through a day.
texasplowboy

Post by texasplowboy »

Its all about the money!
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

Mwal wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:07 pm
chedder_farms wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:52 pm
Your mechanic is another story. You think they're amazing, but they took the existing plate holder off your car without consent. Don't you wonder what else they do without your consent?
I think we can all agree the logical next step is selling your kids meth
Make them go out and sell it themselves.
Questionnaire

Post by Questionnaire »

I don't know why, but I have never gotten ads, where in the program is the code that calls for the billboard info, I would like to do some testing.
Playing FS 15-17-19-22 on a Razer Blade.

PC Specs
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
AMD Radeon RX 590 "Fatboy"
Corsair Vengance RGB Pro 32 GB (4 x 8) DDR4-3200
Gigabyte B450 AORUS M Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Samsung 870 QVO Plus 1TB
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB M.2

In-game username:Questionnaire
Discord: russian_man_99
GothicKing13

Post by GothicKing13 »

Yeah, I have FS22 on Steam... I've only explored Elmcreek so far. But, every billboard that I have come across either says "Enjoy Nature" or "Support Your Local Farmer" <--- Ironically, I am usually passing this one as I am getting pushed off the side of the road by another car. I've not seen any of the billboards that anyone else has mentioned as of yet.
GOTHICKING13 With every deed, you are sowing a seed. Though the harvest, you may not see.
Dairydeere

Post by Dairydeere »

Same as GothicKing13 in my experience. I haven't played very much, but I took a whirl around Elmcreek looking for billboards. All I found was Support your Local Farmers and FrizzySpizz
Dairy farmer, college student, part-time modder, always looking to drive a tractor

Discord Server
Facebook page

Where should you download mods from? Try this! - A Guide to Respectful Downloads and Original Mods

Driving up a wall because my brain turned off the gravity

Happy farming!
GothicKing13

Post by GothicKing13 »

^^^ Ah, yes! FrizzySpizz, I forgot about that one. I seen that one at the gas station across from the farm yard. I had refueled my tractor, and went and got a nice cold soda from the fridge and as I was opening it I glanced up at that sign. Well, since I was at the gas station... for immersions sake, I had to get me a piece of gum to chew on as well. I don't have any jerky, and being at the computer... I wasn't about to grab my chips/crisp. :lol:
GOTHICKING13 With every deed, you are sowing a seed. Though the harvest, you may not see.
Lee66

Post by Lee66 »

I am not happy with the board right across from my farm and have buried it in trees - fixed lol but,,, take a drive around your favourite map and head to every built up area, you will find these signs and boards everywhere, even above where you dump your produce. ATM it's all fizzyspizz or whatever that drink is. I have no issue at all with just deleting the transform for the signs and repeating the action for every update, but the map won't load in GE to edit - a editing lock perhaps?
What would solve this issue is a talented mod maker doing a 'billboard & sign' mod aimed at the maps regions like for ATS/ETS2 - but are they also locked out from this map?

Anyways Giants, I have supported you from the very beginning but if this advertising and (possible data gathering for targeted language/region adverts) is to stay, then this will be my final purchase from you as I don't do 'random' advertising in any of my games (I have a lot - and not one with adverts).

Everything else is very good and a nice advancement to the game, so why o' why take this horrible and pointless route?
ipodule

Post by ipodule »

You do understand that all of the equipment in the game is licensed and, essentially, is an advertisement for those products and companies? You basically drive around with an external view looking at an ad for Case or Fendt or whatever... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
wildberry

Post by wildberry »

ipodule wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:17 pm You do understand that all of the equipment in the game is licensed and, essentially, is an advertisement for those products and companies? You basically drive around with an external view looking at an ad for Case or Fendt or whatever... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Well said! :hi:

I still have to see any ad, and nothing is blocked unless my VPN does that for me which I doubt.
So are these ads real or not?
MC, aka Master of Cereals
speedbrake

Post by speedbrake »

They are real, see my screenshot in the first post. I don't see them anymore now, because I have blocked the https://ads-fs22.giants-software.com/ server in my pi-hole
this_is_gav

Post by this_is_gav »

Lee66 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:12 pmI have no issue at all with just deleting the transform for the signs and repeating the action for every update, but the map won't load in GE to edit - a editing lock perhaps?
You can remove the advertising hoarding in the editor, but you might need to make a mod version of the map (that definitely works fine and loads in GE). To do so load the editor > File > New Mod From Game > and choose whichever map you're playing.

You'll need to change the map reference in your save game too in careerSavegame.xml to continue and existing save, but it should work fine.

wildberry wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:57 pm I still have to see any ad, and nothing is blocked unless my VPN does that for me which I doubt.
So are these ads real or not?
Very real. I've blocked the IP address and that's got rid of them (back to the old fizzy pop adverts).

Perhaps it's region dependant and your VPN is in a region where they don't get served.

I don't like them either. The argument "the whole game is an advert" doesn't really stack up either. We know most of the equipment is licensed - that's why some of us choose to buy the game - but that doesn't apply to non-agricultural or game-irrelevant adverts.

If the game had a stripped down free-to-play mode supported by adverts I'd be fine with that (so long as there is an option to buy a full advert-free game) but I don't like that a game with an ever-inflating price-tag (which I've no issue with) chooses to implement irrelevant adverts for what must be pennies. It just smacks of greed on behalf of the developers.
speedbrake

Post by speedbrake »

ipodule wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:17 pm You do understand that all of the equipment in the game is licensed and, essentially, is an advertisement for those products and companies? You basically drive around with an external view looking at an ad for Case or Fendt or whatever... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Yeah that's the basis of the game and there's nothing wrong with that. However, having us pay full price and then force us to watch ads is a shitty business practice. Everything wrong with that has already been pointed out in this topic.
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

speedbrake wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:14 pm
However, having us pay full price and then force us to watch ads is a shitty business practice.
How do we know what ‘full price’ is. I have no idea of their costings. Don’t forget that this is Giants first time going solo.

Maybe their costs went up and selling a small amount of advertising space in game allowed them to keep the game ‘full price’
iwan073

Post by iwan073 »

Will modders get paid if they place those billboards on their maps?
Ignorance is bliss