Must say I’m disappointed..

The_Liquor

Must say I’m disappointed..

Post by The_Liquor »

Just a rant I suppose. I started with FS15 on console. I liked it, but got boring and repetitive fast. I played FS17 and FS19 on PC. I fell in love with seasons, especially on FS19. Recently, my PC Crapped out, so I decided to buy FS22 on console again. I was excited to try the seasons integrated into the game…

Well, I’m barely through my first year and I’m feeling quite let down. Almost like I wasted my money. The seasons are barely more significant than a graphic change. None of the complexities and attempt at realism that made seasons so fun to play. And there is no way I can find to adjust it. Even on the mod maps it seems to be hardwired to the one GEO built into the game…

No complex animal husbandry, no different crop calendars to represent different regions. No geo options. The ground is always the same, the rain is meaningless…

I think the only thing that could possibly salvage this is if the Realismus team gets back together to fix it… Maybe I’ve just been spoiled? Who knows… but it’s the first time since I started in FS15 that I feel like I spent money to downgrade… I need to fix my PC.
Rasping rabbit

Re: Must say I’m disappointed..

Post by Rasping rabbit »

Sorry to hear you aren’t enjoying the game. A lot of people misunderstood what giants were doing and assumed ‘seasons’ when giants said ‘seasonal growth’ so you aren’t alone.

It’s just a shame you hadn’t come to the forum sooner as you would have no doubt seen posts that would have cleared up the confusion before you bought the game.
DEERE318

Post by DEERE318 »

As Bobandy would say, have a cheese burger and try to enjoy the game.
parad0x177

Post by parad0x177 »

DEERE318 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:27 pm As Bobandy would say, have a cheese burger and try to enjoy the game.
Indeed. One of the hardest things in life is seeing (and sometimes finding the true merits of) things for what they actually are, rather than what we have built them up to be in our minds. Otherwise, we wind up destroying things that, while somewhat-flawed (as all things are), were still great in their own way, all while we try to make them conform to some imagined perspective of “better”.

I never thought “seasonal growth” was going to be “seasons”. Rather, I expected it to split the difference between the old base-game mechanics and the seasons mod. And, really I think that is exactly what we got. Giants’ player base was built on that “repetitive” game play, probably because it avoided grinding, long, hard hours of repetitive tasks and “hurry up and wait” that comes with actual farming. So it was accessible to more gamers. Sure, there is a smaller group of immersive-simulation gamer types that want that detail and don’t mind the associated job-like grind of it (a lot of which comes with the seasons mod). But most gamers aren’t looking for a job in their game. I happen to like the seasons mod, but sometimes the grind and complexity of it makes the game feel too much like a job for me and I think that is exactly what Giants was trying to avoid.
eric21

Post by eric21 »

Alot of people thought seasons was hard to understand in fs19 so giants made a basic version
The_Liquor

Post by The_Liquor »

Well, I could even live with the basics of it, honestly, if there was a way to simply change the GEO to something other than the default. Maybe there will be something coming down the pipe someday in the form of mods. But I’m still a little disappointed. What I could live without is all the factory and production chain stuff. sure, it’s fun to build an empire from time to time, but it’s a mod I rarely used. I’d trade it all in for something that more closely resembled the old seasons myself, or even some adjustability in what we have. Oh well, enough grumbling I suppose. Just need to fix my PC and ‘downgrade’ to my old 19 version for a while.
blue_painted

Post by blue_painted »

The growth pattern is reasonably easy to modify ... as yet I haven't seen adjustments for latitude, or for the effect of moisture but here's hoping
Playing new "Beest" Intel i7-11700F with GeForce GTX 3060 and XBOX controller
also £600 laptop - AMD Ryzen 5600H with GeForce GTX 3050 XBOX controller

Dairydeere's A Guide to Finding Farming Simulator Mods - Please give this a read and help spread awareness for respectful mod downloads
Stone75

Post by Stone75 »

Some maps come with custom Geo already to represent the region they are in. The REA set of mods makes for interesting vehicle handling with rain affecting chances to dig in if using wrong wheels and heavy loads. Sadly many of these scripted mods that really put the "Sim" into the game are often PC only. I'm currently running 34 gameplay mods mostly from the Hub and feel i would not even bother with farmsim if it were not for them. 200+ EU mods and 120+ US mods i run depending where i'm farming. Not played in over a month too so plenty of new ones to download. Thank the Lord for the Modders :)
Crashmac

Post by Crashmac »

I had high hopes for some of the features but they added "seasonal growth" production chains and AI workers none of which are executed particularily well and all of which have functionality issues. Seems like throwing spagetti at the wall and seeing what sticks.
The_Liquor

Post by The_Liquor »

Stone75 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:56 pm Some maps come with custom Geo already to represent the region they are in. The REA set of mods makes for interesting vehicle handling with rain affecting chances to dig in if using wrong wheels and heavy loads. Sadly many of these scripted mods that really put the "Sim" into the game are often PC only. I'm currently running 34 gameplay mods mostly from the Hub and feel i would not even bother with farmsim if it were not for them. 200+ EU mods and 120+ US mods i run depending where i'm farming. Not played in over a month too so plenty of new ones to download. Thank the Lord for the Modders :)
I think being on console is part of my problem as well… But honestly, if I’m going to get the PC going again, I’ll probably just go back to FS19 where I had everything the way I liked it. Maybe FS22 will be good to go by the time FS25 is being teased.

I think I just need to accept the fact that Farming Simulator has always been just a bare bone framework for modders to build a game on and in the future releases wait for them to put something together before jumping to the new version at full price…
lonny

Post by lonny »

eric21 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:40 pm Alot of people thought seasons was hard to understand in fs19 so giants made a basic version
There is a simple solution for this: add a configuration option! Just dumbing it down for everyone is the - lets go with the word - "easy" approach.

All the functionality was already there, including the person who wrote that code. So why throw all of that out the window?

"crop rotation" - on/off
"temperature" - on/off
"effects of rain" - on/off
Orange Tiger NL

Post by Orange Tiger NL »

lonny wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:42 am
eric21 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:40 pm Alot of people thought seasons was hard to understand in fs19 so giants made a basic version
There is a simple solution for this: add a configuration option! Just dumbing it down for everyone is the - lets go with the word - "easy" approach.

All the functionality was already there, including the person who wrote that code. So why throw all of that out the window?

"crop rotation" - on/off
"temperature" - on/off
You can't "add options" on consoles. We don't have those options about crop rotation/temperature/ effects of rain
The_Liquor

Post by The_Liquor »

Orange Tiger NL wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:33 pm

"crop rotation" - on/off
"temperature" - on/off
You can't "add options" on consoles. We don't have those options about crop rotation/temperature/ effects of rain
Well, if they just put the options in the game, we’d have them on console now, wouldn’t we?
Rasping rabbit

Post by Rasping rabbit »

The_Liquor wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:48 pm

"crop rotation" - on/off
"temperature" - on/off
Well, if they just put the options in the game, we’d have them on console now, wouldn’t we?
They didn’t add full seasons into the game because only a small percentage of the player base used it regularly. Regardless of whether they add it with options into the game or not, they still had to take the time to code it into the game which is something they weren’t going to do.
Orange Tiger NL

Post by Orange Tiger NL »

The_Liquor wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:48 pm

"crop rotation" - on/off
"temperature" - on/off
Indeed, IF, so it's not gonna happen.