grapes/olives + precision farming

alanarientiziech

grapes/olives + precision farming

Post by alanarientiziech »

how they work?

I need gather soil samples to fertilize them?

I looked at the .xml files, that they dont require ph, but how their fertilization system works?
I did not understand!
It's kinda weird!
deerefarm

Re: grapes/olives + precision farming

Post by deerefarm »

Grapes and Olives are not affected by precision farming. You just plant them, and then treat them like you normally would base game. Nothing special no soil samples needed.

At farmcon the John Deere presenter pretty much said that John Deere doesn't really have anything to do with Grapes and Olives and therefore have no data on them to supply for precision farming.
Have been playing FS since FS 2011 came out and still going strong. *thumbsup*
Check out Dairy Air Farms https://www.youtube.com/c/DairyAirFarms
LittleWatt

Post by LittleWatt »

alanarientiziech wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:33 am how they work?

I looked at the .xml files, that they dont require ph, but how their fertilization system works?
I did not understand!
It's kinda weird!
As stated PF has zero impact on grapes and olives. But! You should prep your field to a 100 score before placing grapes or olives. I planted grass in my fields until my ES was at 100. Then grapes over the grass. If the Weed score stays low on a grass field, just run your See N Spray herbicide on the field. Since grass doesn’t grow weeds, you won’t use herbicide but it will “fool” the PF algorithm into thinking you weeded.

Mulching and cultivating counts as 1 stage fertilizer. Then use the liquid fert sprayer for full fertilization.
alanarientiziech

Post by alanarientiziech »

LittleWatt wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:44 am

I did not understand!
It's kinda weird!
As stated PF has zero impact on grapes and olives. But! You should prep your field to a 100 score before placing grapes or olives. I planted grass in my fields until my ES was at 100. Then grapes over the grass. If the Weed score stays low on a grass field, just run your See N Spray herbicide on the field. Since grass doesn’t grow weeds, you won’t use herbicide but it will “fool” the PF algorithm into thinking you weeded.

Mulching and cultivating counts as 1 stage fertilizer. Then use the liquid fert sprayer for full fertilization.
oh thanks, also I noticed that if you spray without collect soil samples, it will have no impact in the yield, and if you collect the soil, it will go messed up, I dont think they are going to fix that, like deerefarm said, then this will be forever a broken feature of the game
cwattyeso

Post by cwattyeso »

So that's why my Grapes and Olives are stuck at a score of 50 then with Precision Farming active. I never planted them on a field, just bought a bit of land on the map that wasn't used for anything and put the Olive Trees and Grape Vines on it without doing anything to the land first, as Grapes and Olives create their own fields when placing them. So of course now I'm stuck with Grape and Olives with terrible scores, as nothing you do after you have placed them has any effect.
Check out my YouTube Channel for Farming Simulator and other Gaming Let's Plays and Videos at https://www.youtube.com/c/CwattyesoGamingforFun :D

Also be sure to check out my Kick Channel for my Farming Simulator Live Streams and Multiplayer Server at https://www.kick.com/cwattyeso :gamer:

GIANTS SOFTWARE Personal Partner Code: CWATTYESO *thumbsup*
Tranceformer81

Post by Tranceformer81 »

If the Weed score stays low on a grass field, just run your See N Spray herbicide on the field. Since grass doesn’t grow weeds, you won’t use herbicide but it will “fool” the PF algorithm into thinking you weeded.
This method works on all fields regardless of crop providing there is no weeds in the field (after plowing for example). And it will maximise the weed score for the field.
LittleWatt

Post by LittleWatt »

alanarientiziech wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:22 pm

I did not understand!
It's kinda weird!

oh thanks, also I noticed that if you spray without collect soil samples, it will have no impact in the yield, and if you collect the soil, it will go messed up, I dont think they are going to fix that, like deerefarm said, then this will be forever a broken feature of the game
Whatever you do prior to getting a soil sample appears to be wasted. I bought a field of weeds, sprayed them, took sample, and had to weed it again when the crops came through.
LittleWatt

Post by LittleWatt »

cwattyeso wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:29 pm So that's why my Grapes and Olives are stuck at a score of 50 then with Precision Farming active. I never planted them on a field, just bought a bit of land on the map that wasn't used for anything and put the Olive Trees and Grape Vines on it without doing anything to the land first, as Grapes and Olives create their own fields when placing them. So of course now I'm stuck with Grape and Olives with terrible scores, as nothing you do after you have placed them has any effect.
Yeah, you’ll have to rip it up if you want the ES. I had to do that. Now those fields are forever locked in at 100. It won’t change the harvest, though. Just your overall score for fields.
cwattyeso

Post by cwattyeso »

Thing is it never even crossed my mind to create a field first and do something on it to get the ES before putting the Grapes and Olives on the land. I guess because on the map I'm playing Calmsden it seems impossible to get Grass Fields to 100 ES as they are always showing bad scores for Nitrogen and Lime Control, despite me lime spreading after every mowing and fertilising after every mowing. I just figured I'd save myself the headache of having to mess with a field and just go and plant the Grapes and Olives straight away which also create the fields as you place them.

Oh well, I'll just put up with the bad ES score on those fields for a few more episodes that I plan to play on the map and then I'm done with that save. I also think due to issues and inconsistancies and weird things I'm finding with Precision Farming, when I start my next save, I'll be leaving that out and just going back to the vanilla game.
Check out my YouTube Channel for Farming Simulator and other Gaming Let's Plays and Videos at https://www.youtube.com/c/CwattyesoGamingforFun :D

Also be sure to check out my Kick Channel for my Farming Simulator Live Streams and Multiplayer Server at https://www.kick.com/cwattyeso :gamer:

LittleWatt

Post by LittleWatt »

It would be an entirely new experience for me to play vanilla. I bought the game about 2 weeks ago, and have only used Precision Farming. I like it. It adds another depth to the game. I’ve made many mistakes along the way, but have ironed out most wrinkles. It’s not polished by any stretch, but neither are grapes and olives. And I’m not sure the if the AI is worse than my previous version of FS (17) or if my expectations were too high. The help seems skittish most times.
cwattyeso

Post by cwattyeso »

For me I like what Precision Farming is trying to add and the additional gameplay it offers, but the actual implementation and realisation of it just doesn't feel quite there yet. I'm experiencing too many bugs and issues where things don't work quite as advertised. For example Lime, I see fields on my Map with poor PH Control Scores. After harvest I lime the Field, the field info when walking on the field tells me Lime is Perfect, yet the PH score for the field never moves. I don't know whether Precision Farming requires me to use lime at a specific or certain point, the help section doesn't really explain, so I'm none the wiser as to why when I lime spread my fields after every harvest the score is not changing. Nitrogen Control as well seems very random. I'll slurry fields after harvesting, direct drill the field with my next crop and then fertilise the crop when growing with my sprayer with crop sensor and spot spraying tech and sometimes the fields will show Perfect Nitrogen Score in PF and then other times the bar doesn't move at all or is even missing completely, despite again walking on the field reveals Nitrogen is Perfect for the crop growing at the time. So it's terribly confusing when the field info tells you one thing but the Precision Farming Menu is telling you something different.

So yeah for me next save I'll go back to Vanilla where it's more black and white if you need lime or not, if you need fertiliser or not, weeding can be done with weeders rather then herbicide, oilseed raddish has a purpose and it's effect of adding fertiliser works if you cultivate or direct drill over the top of it, where with PF you only get the nitrogen bonus if you plough , which then gets you marked down in the tillage section.

LittleWatt

Post by LittleWatt »

I’m not having too many of those issues that you are experiencing. I’ve noticed there are times when nitrogen shows zero in the graphic while the field shows perfect, but once I stick a harvester on the field, the field recalculates and the nitrogen on the graph updates. I’ve never used slurry, or manure, or Digestate on a field yet that I’ve harvested, but I always used Oilseed radish, and have many fields score 100. I did my very first Digestate field and will see how the score turns out when I get the harvest. I always direct drill with fertilizer in the seeder. As for lime, I always mulch (not required for PF) then lime, then direct drill oilseed radish, then plant crop, and then roll (not required for PF). And weed if needed. After the second harvest, my scores are always in the 90s. Seems like it takes at least 2 harvests to max the score. Other thing I always do, which may not matter, is plant grass on all fields that aren’t being planted with wheat, barley, or canola. Grass seems to be the great neutralizer. You’re aren’t out much and it sets the next planting season to go when ready. Plus all the grass to silage to Digestate. Let’s face it, organic fertilizer is costly.