So long to No Man’s Land

LittleWatt

So long to No Man’s Land

Post by LittleWatt »

I gave it a try, but it’s just not for me. I was asked the other day on a different platform, for a different game, how to not end up doing the same thing over and over again? My response was, be honest. Do you really want to explore other options? This sparked my own inner monologue. Do I really enjoy making fields? Building roads? Putting up empty houses and apartments? Placing factories? And would I actually have enough slot space to turn NML into anything other than fields? And most of them sit there unused? I never buy up all the fields on any map. Perhaps the most important question: how much time am I really willing to give to turn the map into…well, anything?

I think the concept is great. Builder types are going to be in hog heaven, but for those of us who can’t draw a straight line with a straightedge, this could be akin to bashing your forehead on your mahogany desk enough times to see the wood grain in the mirror.

My hat goes off to all you builder types. I think I just want to work fields not construct them.
FarmerJimbob

Re: So long to No Man’s Land

Post by FarmerJimbob »

Hey, its not easy to draw a straight line in FS with the tools Giants gives us!!

NML isn't for me either to be honest, I like a farm to look like a farm so play maps where they are already put in place by the map builder. I don't mind a bit of adding placeables but would rather it was mostly done for me. I do have a tendency to make my end game on any map owning all the available land, don't know why as it just creates more work for myself, but it is a habit. Another habit is to do every type of farming possible on a map (excl forestry), again creating hideous amounts of additional work for myself.
LittleWatt

Post by LittleWatt »

I tried to make straight edges. Buy land, place a fence on the borders, hoping it would work as a solid object, and it did for that edge. But there were other edges…So I would have tapering edges or rhombus fields. Just too hair pulling. I will miss the howl at evening.

Not a blight on Alien Jim, he does good work, does creative work. As you said, our toolbox has too many adjustable wrenches and not enough box-end wrenches.
Peter Griffin

Post by Peter Griffin »

It's not for me either. Non of the blank maps interest me. I got the game to farm. If I wanted to build a map I'd get a PC and mod
XBOX/ FS22
Ag Hauler

Post by Ag Hauler »

Oddly enough I love the No Man's Land Idea and actually ran with it on The Plantation map from FS19. This was my favorite map from FS19. The only reason I really didn't care for No Man's Land was I wanted a paved road on the map. If there was a paved road it would have been perfect for me. I took the Plantation and after cutting the first little patch of timber. I would build a town with gas stations, grocery stores, houses, and other sell points.
chaskuchar1

Post by chaskuchar1 »

i tried NML on the pc when i got fs22. it was ok doing timber and making a field but got tired of it quickly. now am playing a map with 200 fields and so far it is great...
60 acres with center pivot. jmj
playing fs22 on pc, hard mode
PrincessJessi84

Post by PrincessJessi84 »

I had a real good go with NML in 19. Got to a point where I owned most of the map and was using the largest available equipment to farm it. Lots of animals and all that. Even had some of the productions going on it.

I tried again for 22 but it just didn't feel the same. I did ok with the western wilds for a bit. It was fun building a town. But it got very lonely feeling after a while and I went back to civilization lol. I think the biggest thing was the lack of interesting terrain and details in both maps and ultimately it led to me getting bored with otherwise really good maps. I am fortunate enough that the stuff like creating straight lines and what have you comes pretty easy to me but I can also see how it would be a quick source of frustration for others.
https://fs19communitytrader.freeforums.net/
PC
PC - Ryzen 7-2700 8core, 32gb ram, 2x2tb SSD, RTX 2080 SUPER 8gb, GX-850 Gold PSU
Displays - ASUS ROG Strix XG43VQ 43” Super Ultra-Wide Curved HDR Gaming Monitor 120Hz (3840 x 1200)
Samsung CFG70 27" Curved gaming Monitor 144HZ (1920 x 1080)
2x 24" Dell Monitors
Controllers - T150 Pro, Side Panel, TrackIR7, TM Stick
Ag Hauler

Post by Ag Hauler »

I like the build a town aspects with productions etc but it just feels too empty without the traffic and people. That's why I really like the maps like Griffin that have a nice built out town and farms but leave you several empty lots to build up things
Tazoslo

Post by Tazoslo »

No Man`s Land is for the content creators, not for casuall gamers, unless you really want to punish your self. It just takes to much time....
AndOnTheDrums

Post by AndOnTheDrums »

I love it because I get bored of plant/harvest/repeat and I RP homesteading a new farm, which allows me to do a little of everything without breaking immersion.
cedricthecat

Post by cedricthecat »

I enjoyed NML on 19, and occasionally pop back to it, but I don't think I'm going to bother on 22. On 19 the landscaping (for me at least) worked really well and any changes were easy to implement, but I can't see it being that easy on 22!
Ag Hauler wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:53 am I like the build a town aspects with productions etc but it just feels too empty without the traffic and people. That's why I really like the maps like Griffin that have a nice built out town and farms but leave you several empty lots to build up things
I'd like to see people being made a switchable option like traffic is. I've been trying a few maps recently and one had huge hoards of people wandering around in one corner. If you parked a tractor in their way, they'd build up an enormous cloud which felt like a zombie apocalypse! My current favourite map is Calmsden, which has very little in the way of people, which suits me fine (although it has no traffic, which I do miss)
Played FS2013 and FS15 on PS3
Playing FS17, FS19 and now FS22 on PS4
Playing FS22 on PC
//www.natterzone.net
Jimbob0704

Post by Jimbob0704 »

I actually built a few maps on NML that otherwise I would not have, With NML I was able to built Jeremy Clarkson map, Tom Pemberton Farm Life, Funky Farmers farm and BallinCraig Estate so for console guys who don’t want to have to rely on PC map makers to hopefully build the map they would like to see, this is an absolute dream and no other blank map comes even close to this for options, for the last year of FS19 I never played any other map than one of my self made maps on NML meaning I never really got to play Sandybay or Chellington which I kind of regret now, but that shows just the level of playability you can have with NML
Owner of YouTube channel FS landscaping
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVa5pA ... kqx5eVXmxw