Please remove "Real World" ads from game -> Giants Devs

Oddbob

Re: Why is the game serving ads?

Post by Oddbob »

I play on Elm Creek on PS5 and the only ads I see are for some fake soda called Fizzee or something like that. Where are these real ads?
Dezza69

Please remove "Real World" ads from game -> Giants Devs

Post by Dezza69 »

Hi Giants Devs,

Really sorry to need to ask you this - because I understand the good intentions you may have and, that this is a worthy cause - however:

I play video games to remove myself from reality.

I play your video game to allow my brain to NOT need to deal with the current events / issues around me.

Today, after spending thousands of $ to get a fairly smooth FPS in your game, I finally get my gaming rig going and enter my "Elm Creek" multiplayer world only to find a bright blue/white "donate to Unicef" ad.

I'm okay with the promo's for Farming Simulator DLC's, mods, etc - they directly relate to my virtual experience away from reality.

Again - I understand the good intentions you may have and, that this is a worthy cause - however:

I play video games to remove myself from reality <-------------

Please remove "real world" ads from your game, or I will just not play your game.

Thanks very much.

Dezza.

EDIT:
Maybe make "Real World Ads" (eg, advertising on the in-game billboards which has relevance to specific real world events that are not DIRECTLY related to this game/farming) a mod or something, you could then donate to various causes for every download the mod receives.
Last edited by Dezza69 on Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sid1701d

Re: Please remove "Real World" ads from game -> Giants Devs

Post by Sid1701d »

I kinda like the real world ads it makes me feel like the world is real.
Mesocyclone

Post by Mesocyclone »

You can't get everybody happy. One likes it the other one doesn't. We just need to live with it.
I would suggest to play a map that doesn't have billboards on it. Approx 60-80% of the maps on modhub doesn't have billboards.
Last edited by Mesocyclone on Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
JDMFarms

Post by JDMFarms »

there are ads in game now?
Mesocyclone

Post by Mesocyclone »

JDMFarms wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:08 am there are ads in game now?
There always have been, at least on the maps that have basegame billboards or only on basegame maps(not entirely sure). But normally it was to promote DLC's but according to the OP he has seen an Unicef ad.
Mesocyclone

Post by Mesocyclone »

There also have been multiple topics about this in the past:
viewtopic.php?t=182649

There is also an solution in that topic I shared ^^^
this_is_gav wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:16 pm Very annoying, especially as they asked about adverts in the Fendt BB survey, and I'd be staggered if more than a couple voted in favour.

Obviously only on PC, but if you want to block them edit your C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file (no extension) to include the line:

Code: Select all

127.0.0.1 ads-fs22.giants-software.com
It seems the adverts aren't cached, so I've got the old drink advert back now.

You'll need to copy the hosts file elsewhere before editing, then replace it afterwards. There are plenty of guides on editing the hosts file if you're struggling.
JDMFarms

Post by JDMFarms »

i guess i never paid any attention to em. I know back in FS13/17, i asked some local small businesses if i could put their biz names (POI type things) on certain landmarks but i dont classify them as ads. I dont recall Private Org ads or DLC ads but like most signs, they just blend in after a while.
ASOLANDRI

Re: Why is the game serving ads?

Post by ASOLANDRI »

this_is_gav wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:16 pm Very annoying, especially as they asked about adverts in the Fendt BB survey, and I'd be staggered if more than a couple voted in favour.

Obviously only on PC, but if you want to block them edit your C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file (no extension) to include the line:

Code: Select all

127.0.0.1 ads-fs22.giants-software.com
It seems the adverts aren't cached, so I've got the old drink advert back now.

You'll need to copy the hosts file elsewhere before editing, then replace it afterwards. There are plenty of guides on editing the hosts file if you're struggling.
If you're on console, you can turn off the internet after selecting mods, AND before pressing start save button, that works too. *thumbsup*
Greetings, from Central Texas! :hi:

Back to the digital farm with the new 65" TCL 4K HDR TV. PS5 *thumbsup*

Map/Playtime:
Alma, Missouri: 140 Hours
Griffin, Indiana 22: 103 Hours
Edgewater, SK: 79 Hours
Ohio Richlands: 78 Hours
Elmcreek: 32 Hours
Big Flats, Texas: 20 Hours
Richard Dower

Post by Richard Dower »

Slippery slope imo, it has the potential to cause unnecessary controversy in a game, a game used as escapism.

I urge caution Giants.
Burekcina

Post by Burekcina »

If they get reported to ESRB they could lose their E for everyone rating. Wouldn't that be a shame...
Machinesloth

Post by Machinesloth »

I have to disagree. I can't imagine a more subtle form of advertising. I'm sorry, but how does this hurt anyone? Maybe you can change my mind. If you are worried about your location info, you should not be, because you are already sharing it at many other places online too.
njuska11

Post by njuska11 »

So much drama over such a trivial thing. Besides almost all of the mod maps dont have these stupid bilboards to begin with