Let's talk about tyres...

Urinal2001

Let's talk about tyres...

Post by Urinal2001 »

So many tire options in game, and up til now I have only chosen based on looks. But is there any performance differences between them? Tread pattern, width, added weights etc should (presumably, Im not a farmer) in real life all have an effect. Are these modelled in game? And if so, what difference do they make, and which should I choose? For example, is a wide tyre better than dual/twin wheels?
Mesocyclone

Re: Let's talk about tyres...

Post by Mesocyclone »

There is definitely a difference, here is a YT video showing what those differences are: https://youtu.be/dEGYMMTFTQ0
(There is also a part 2 and 3)

Also when you play with "crop destruction" on, narrow tires are the only tires not destroying the crop when driving over.
Eische

Post by Eische »

So as the videos show, there are neglectible differences between tires in normal conditions. The more you get close to corner conditions, differences are more obvious. But most of them can be explained by just pushing more weight up the hill (wheel weights, crawler tracks) and maybe slightly different tire radius that puts the tractors engine in an other point on the torque curve.

Based on this I don't really see a reason to pick specific tires.

Rear wheel weights work well when it comes to balasting your tractor for heavy front mounted implements and front loader work.
Playing on PC - Win10
Ryzen 3600
RX 5500XT
16GB Ram
How to post log file
How to upload pictures
Please report bugs for FS22 using the bugtracker
crash

Post by crash »

The game can only make a difference/calculate wheel witdth vs Traction but in real life is a balance between tractor weight/compaction/traction..

I always use wide tires in game, unless im doing a US farm, then i want skinny duals on axles.
Xbox series s and pc :gamer:
In Norway
JDMFarms

Post by JDMFarms »

i wont be surprised if the game evolves to a point (mod or basegame) where tires and tire pressure plays a stronger role in precision farming. I saw a RL IG reel where a farmer went to an ag conference and learned about tire pressure having a role in precision.
Case-man

Post by Case-man »

There is a mod REA Wheels that tries to take this into account, but I feel it may be to the extreme.

This is one of my hopes for either a new mod or in the next edition. I.e. in FS19 when it rained you had to test the crop before harvesting, so if you are doing fieldwork in the rain it will demand more traction if you are pulling heavy.

Another great feature (although might be difficult) is soil compaction which is an important feature, especially in wet areas (northern Europe). There is a reason you see big Fendts (dual wheeled or tracked) doing field work. Bigger surface area, more traction and less kg/m2.